Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: LitNet Top 100 Authors!

Arrow LitNet Top 100 Authors!

So, after 4 months of voting; I believe some relevant list could be made.
    Here it goes; LitNet Top 100 Authors!

1.Dostoevsky
    2.Shakespeare
    3.Dickens
    4.Tolstoy
    5.Steinbeck
    6.-7.
    Austen
    Proust
    8.-11.
    Nabokov
    Hemingway
    Hardy
    Joyce
    12.-16.
    Hugo
    Dante
    Faulkner
    Kafka
    Tolkien
    17. -20.
    Homer
    Wilde
    Pushkin
    Brontte, Charlotte
    21.-24.
    Orwell
    Salinger
    Fitzgerald
    Elliot
    25. – 49.
    Murakami
    Turgenev
    Marquez
    Ibsen
    Conrad
    Beckett
    Stevenson
    Vonnegut
    Ellis
    Milton
    Goethe
    Lawrence
    Gogol
    Poe
    Keats
    Doyle
    Selimovic
    Eco
    Woolf
    Heese
    Twain
    Lewis
    Gaskell
    Camus
    Krleža
    50. – 100.
    London
    Williams
    Yesenin
    Bradbury
    Wilder
    James
    Lermontov
    Chesterton
    White
    Fowles
    Christie
    Bellow
    Bronte, Emily
    Zola
    Flaubert
    Leopardi
    Shaw
    Bamkinchandra
    Ovid
    Racine
    Amarnath
    Cooper
    Whitman
    Caragiale
    Norris
    Sinclair
    Solzhenytsin
    Scott
    Carr
    Moliere
    Laxness
    Auster
    Roth
    Platho
    Sexton
    Chaucer
    Maugham
    Yeats
    Hamsun
    Sartre
    Colfer
    Remarque
    Adams
    Aesop
    Blake
    Sienkiewicz
    Euripides
    Swift
    Elton
    Sharpe
    Nietzsche
    Tagore
    Dreiser
    Carter
    Synge

--------------------------------

Authors that share place have same number of votes. It would be unfair to say that someone is better if they are equal - so they share position; in random order.
    Last edited by bazarov; 04-10-2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Explanation
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Umm... as far as I can tell (mostly from Mortalterror's count in the original thread) all authors from 50-100 only got one vote, so how come they are all on the list, but three of mine are missing? By what standards was the selection made?

I wonder how the inclusive 50-100 section ranks the writers, or whether it is an arbitrary listing.
    Last edited by mayneverhave; 04-09-2009 at 06:51 PM.

From 50. till end - they all got same number of votes - one. Thats why I didn't rank them as 51st, 52nd because it would be unfair.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Thank you for the correction.

Who the crap voted for Virginia Woolf? BARF. Oh, sorry. Was that too obvious about how I feel about her writing?

Nice list, thanks for putting so much effort into that.
    I really like to see Dostoevsky and Tolstoy so high, and I'm quite surprised Nabokov is so high too.
    All That I Wanted To Say - Words Only Got In The Way

This is a joke, right? Dickens above Joyce, Proust, Woolf and Lawrence? That's really funny. Orwell in the top 30? That's funny too. Ellis? Brett Easton? OK, I geddit - it's meant tuh beh funneh. Ha, Ha, Help!
    "We are not what we are, and we are what we are not."
    Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness: An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology

Blog Entries
    Can we please respect the over all choices of the forum? What one person dislikes does not mean another has to. there is quaility in all lit.
    Thank you.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Christie's so low! It's a bit shocking!
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    Interesting List... But...

?!?!?!?!

Where are writers like Borges, Chekhov, Calvino, Melville, Llosa, Cortazar, Bulgakov, Gorky, Rushdie, Irving, Balzac, Cao Xueqin, Luo Guanzhong, Ba Jin, Narayan, etc???? this list neglects South America and Asia completely... I know it's only a list and all, but it's just surprising at how Western-centred it is...

Quote Originally Posted by islandclimber View Post
    Interesting List... But...

?!?!?!?!

Where are writers like Borges, Chekhov, Calvino, Melville, Llosa, Cortazar, Bulgakov, Gorky, Rushdie, Irving, Balzac, Cao Xueqin, Luo Guanzhong, Ba Jin, Narayan, etc???? this list neglects South America and Asia completely... I know it's only a list and all, but it's just surprising at how Western-centred it is...
    In concept - but it isn't the "best 100" authors list, but the "highest voted" 100 authors list. In reality, I suspect few people have heard of Luo Guanzhong, let alone gotten through the whole Romance of the Three Kingdoms, much less Ba Jin - as far as I know, too, there aren't many widely available translations of Dream of Red Mansions - the translation I got was a moderate propaganda version from the 70s put out by the Chinese institutions, with at least a half dozen quotes by Chairman Mao, who was still living then I believe, in the introduction, and not to mention all the names in Wade-Gilles, which made them impossible to remember. Strangely enough though, the translators, Gladys and Yang Xianyi, who are supposedly noteworthy translators. Penguin supposedly put out a copy in the 90s, but it's only 300 pages!

That is, of course, no excuse to exclude Li Bei, or Su Shi, or even the most important, Confucius, yet I think few here really know much about non-English literature, with the exception of a few Russian classics, and perhaps a couple German and French titles thrown in for good measure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    In concept - but it isn't the "best 100" authors list, but the "highest voted" 100 authors list. In reality, I suspect few people have heard of Luo Guanzhong, let alone gotten through the whole Romance of the Three Kingdoms, much less Ba Jin - as far as I know, too, there aren't many widely available translations of Dream of Red Mansions - the translation I got was a moderate propaganda version from the 70s put out by the Chinese institutions, with at least a half dozen quotes by Chairman Mao, who was still living then I believe, in the introduction, and not to mention all the names in Wade-Gilles, which made them impossible to remember. Strangely enough though, the translators, Gladys and Yang Xianyi, who are supposedly noteworthy translators. Penguin supposedly put out a copy in the 90s, but it's only 300 pages!

That is, of course, no excuse to exclude Li Bei, or Su Shi, or even the most important, Confucius, yet I think few here really know much about non-English literature, with the exception of a few Russian classics, and perhaps a couple German and French titles thrown in for good measure.
    The Master said: "The wise are without perplexity; the good are without sorrow; the brave are without fear."

I have read Confucius. Plato is better. Also, I have a two volume copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The other day I put it out on the sell back pile I keep for used books, along with The Tale of Gengi. I was taking too long to get through them and didn't think I'd want to schedule them into my line up this year. Meanwhile, they were just taking up space. By the way, you are right. The Penguin version of Dream of the Red Chamber is only 300 pages, in 6 volumes.
    Last edited by mortalterror; 07-11-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror View Post
    I have read Confucius. Plato is better. Also, I have a two volume copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The other day I put it out on the sell back pile I keep for used books, along with The Tale of Gengi. I was taking too long to get through them and didn't think I'd want to schedule them into my line up this year and they were just taking up space. By the way, you are right. The Penguin version of Dream of the Red Chamber is only 300 pages, in 6 volumes.
    Ah, you are right, my apologies - didn't realize they were printing it under an alternative title (The Golden Days) - mixed it up with this edition http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Red-Cham...7366833&sr=8-1

As for Plato being better - as a philosopher, perhaps, as an anthologist, perhaps not - I am quite fond of much of the book of Songs, for instance.

It doesn't matter though - both are quite important. As for The Romance - I hear they have a huge television series from the 70s on youtube of it, which essentially captures everything in the novel - perhaps you may look into that.
    Last edited by JBI; 07-11-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    As for The Romance - I hear they have a huge television series from the 70s on youtube of it, which essentially captures everything in the novel - perhaps you may look into that.
    Perhaps I'll check it out, but I'd rather read the books and I don't find their styles at all unlikeable. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms is very laconic, direct, and action packed. The Dream of the Red Chamber is luxurious, poetic, and beautiful. I'd just rather finish up my ancient world studies and then move on to the Shahnameh, which I'm loving. As for Genji, I wasn't really enjoying that anyway.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast