Thread: Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned

It took me about 2 months to finish Don Quixote and i would gladly read it over again. I have the Penguin Classics version and its almost 1,100 pages long. This is honestly the greatest book I think anyone could ever read. It has taught me to be more virtuous and to help people no matter how difficult the task is. In a way i guess i would say it made me take on some of Don Quixote's characteristics. It even made me almost join the armed forces so i could "march into hell for a heavenly cause" To me this book is a bible without a all-knowing being in it but rather a man who puts forth all his effort and determination into what he wants to achieve and sometimes fails but mainly comes out as a more brave and intelligent person. It also amazes me how this book has lasted throughout time for 400 years. I know thats nothing compared to the Odyssey but in my opinion the book is much better than homer could ever do. It is certainly a life changer of a read and makes you wish that there were people like don quixote in the world today. to aid anyone who asks for it is such a hard task but it is worth it in the end because just like him, you will be renowned throughout the world in one way or another and people will smile in joy as your name is mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by coffincc12831 View Post
    It took me about 2 months to finish Don Quixote and i would gladly read it over again. I have the Penguin Classics version and its almost 1,100 pages long. This is honestly the greatest book I think anyone could ever read. It has taught me to be more virtuous and to help people no matter how difficult the task is. In a way i guess i would say it made me take on some of Don Quixote's characteristics. It even made me almost join the armed forces so i could "march into hell for a heavenly cause" To me this book is a bible without a all-knowing being in it but rather a man who puts forth all his effort and determination into what he wants to achieve and sometimes fails but mainly comes out as a more brave and intelligent person. It also amazes me how this book has lasted throughout time for 400 years. I know thats nothing compared to the Odyssey but in my opinion the book is much better than homer could ever do. It is certainly a life changer of a read and makes you wish that there were people like don quixote in the world today. to aid anyone who asks for it is such a hard task but it is worth it in the end because just like him, you will be renowned throughout the world in one way or another and people will smile in joy as your name is mentioned
    But there are, there are. There more people fighting windmills and having affairs with bearded Dulcineas del Toboso today than ever in history.

Sagitarius
    Don Quixote's stated reasons for embarking on his dream-quest is to “right wrongs; correct injustices; relieve the needy; defend maidens; protect widows; succor orphans; aveng the offended; punish treachery; assist the helpless; redress grievances; succor the wretched; favor the oppressed; defend women’s honor; uphold promises; protect wards; punish insolence; redress outrages; remedy distress; forgive the modest; destroy the cruel; and observe the will to do good to people of all kinds."

In my view, his heart is certainly in the right place and sometimes he does help people, (at least temporarily): like the farmer boy Andres, for example.

More largely, since Cervantes is a Romantic writer he is aware of how one’s nature effects his actions. He recognizes, at least at some level, that human virtue, human well-being, and human prosperity can be developed by choosing a proper life for oneself. The view of man presented in Don Quixote is that he is capable of goodness, he is capable of prowess, he is capable of courage, he is capable of all these moral values. There is no presentation of the view that the individual is a helpless victim crushed beneath the weight of social forces. This, in my view, as you note, is what makes Don Quixote so inspiring.

www.don-quixote-explained.com