View Poll Results: who takes it all? Heaven or Hell?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell wins

1 20.00%
  • Heaven will

3 60.00%
  • It's a draw

1 20.00%
  • I am not sure

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hell Versus Heaven

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    I have been puzzled by your choice of art many times. That’s all.

I would not expect less of you.
    A quite ambiguous answer.

BTW, did you like Franz von Stuck’s Inferno?

I'm not a great fan of Von Stuck's work. It often strikes me as far too much "over the top"...

... yet lacking a contrasting formal/aesthetic "beauty" or sophistication. Painted at the same time as Manet, Degas, and Monet, Von Stuck comes off as "stuck".
    I am not a fun of Stuck either. I was asking about the theme.

I have been puzzled by your choice of art many times. That’s all.

I would not expect less of you.

BTW, did you like Franz von Stuck’s Inferno?

I'm not a great fan of Von Stuck's work. It often strikes me as far too much "over the top"...

... yet lacking a contrasting formal/aesthetic "beauty" or sophistication. Painted at the same time as Manet, Degas, and Monet, Von Stuck comes off as "stuck".
    I don't know I think I really like van stuck it is not so pretty like the others. It is very formatic figurative almost substantial it talks to you. I would say this particular has got 'balls'.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't really look to art on the basis of themes or subject matter... although certainly there are some subject matter that I like more than others. Rather, I look to art for the aesthetic merits of the work.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't really look to art on the basis of themes or subject matter... although certainly there are some subject matter that I like more than others. Rather, I look to art for the aesthetic merits of the work.
    I have noticed that there are some subjects that you like more than others. So obvious.
    I look at art for both reasons. I have found looking at themes quite intriguing and inspiring to do my research. As Napoleon said, “A picture is worth a thousand words” He was so bloody right.

Blog Entries
    I have noticed that there are some subjects that you like more than others. So obvious.

Is that so? As an artist, like many artists, I tend to focus upon a single dominant subject matter, the nude.

As an art lover it seems my tastes are far more diverse. If I were to come up with a quick list of my 30 favorite artists (excluding anonymous figures such as those who designed various medieval cathedrals or the sculptors of Hindu temples...) the list might look something like this (with an absolute favorite work by each):

1. Michelangelo:

2. Peter Paul Rubens:

3. Rembrandt:

4. Pierre Bonnard:

5. Edgar Degas:

6. William Blake:

7. Veronese:

8. Giorgione:

9. Titian:

10. Raphael:

11. Bernini:

12. Giovanni Bellini:

13. Pieter Bruegel:

14. Turner:

15. Max Beckmann:

16. Matisse:

17. Fra Filippo Lippi:

18. Albrecht Durer:

19. Monet:

20. Van Gogh:

21. Vermeer:

22. Ingres:

23. Rogier van der Weyden:

24. Utamaro:

25. Vuillard:

26. Gustav Klimt:

27. Joseph Cornell:

28. Paul Klee:

29. Modigliani:

30. Diego Rivera:

Not certain I see an obvious obsession with any subject or theme.
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain

Banned
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by stlukesguild

Is that so? As an artist, like many artists, I tend to focus upon a single dominant subject matter, the nude.
    Well, speak for yourself. There are artists who focus on nude but there are many who don’t.

Human body is beautiful but posting mostly nude is boring …to tears. There is so much beauty that can uplift our souls.

Not certain I see an obvious obsession with any subject or theme.
    It doesn’t stand considering the art you post on this forum. BTW, you have forgotten about Hieronymus Bosch as you wrote that he was your inspiration along with Pieter Bruegel.

Blog Entries
    Well, speak for yourself. There are artists who focus on nude but there are many who don’t.

Human body is beautiful but posting mostly nude is boring …to tears. There is so much beauty that can uplift our souls.

I am speaking for myself. The dominant subject of my work is the nude. For others there are different subjects that are central. For Monet and Turner it is landscape. For Morandi and Chardin it is still life. For Van Dyck and Ingres it is portraiture. Even those artists who tackle a broader array of subject matter, ie. Picasso, Matisse, and Bonnard who paint still-life, landscape, the figure, and narrative painting... tend to focus upon a single formal element: light or color or pattern, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ftil View Post

It doesn’t stand considering the art you post on this forum. BTW, you have forgotten about Hieronymus Bosch as you wrote that he was your inspiration along with Pieter Bruegel.
    You have got to be kidding. The person you are talking about is one of the best historians of art works on this forum. You should be glad to have his posts on this forum. If you were to seriously disagree with some statement he makes, it would be fine. But you are so obviously ignorant, it stinks.

Blog Entries
    It doesn’t stand considering the art you post on this forum.

Just browsing through my blog on the forum I find that among the artists and artworks I posted are Pieter Bruegel, Giorgione, Renoir's La Loge, Matisse' Zora on the Terrace, abstract paintings by Philip Guston and Sean Scully, Van der Weyden's Deposition, Bosch' Garden of Earthly Delights, Aphrodite of Chios, Venus de Milo, Duccio's Adoration, and Rubens' Garden of Love. Again... it seems my choices are quite broad in terms of style and subject.

Of course I did post a lot of nudes with the thread begun in response to Kenneth Clark's book "The Nude" in which I looked at the development of the nude in Western art. But who is more obsessed? Me... or my stalker?

BTW, you have forgotten about Hieronymus Bosch...

I haven't forgotten Bosch at all. If I were to make a list of my 10 or 20 favorite paintings, Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights as well as Botticelli's Primavera and Boucher's Mme. O'Murphy would all make that list. But I don't feel any of these artists has produced a body of work that I admire to the extent that I would place them among my top 20 or so.

I love it when threads turns into art. Images never seize to sizzle. Stlukes I praise for your knowledge. Imagine now if we only spoke with images art what would we look like?
    Speaking of which how do you get to post pictures and we can't?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    You have got to be kidding. The person you are talking about is one of the best historians of art works on this forum. You should be glad to have his posts on this forum. If you were to seriously disagree with some statement he makes, it would be fine. But you are so obviously ignorant, it stinks.
    Thanks for your honesty but I don’t take it seriously. Yes, St. Luke is the best art historian on this forum but world is much much bigger than this small forum. If it stinks for you…use some lavender. It may help to calm your nerves too.

Just browsing through my blog on the forum I find that among the artists and artworks I posted are Pieter Bruegel, Giorgione, Renoir's La Loge, Matisse' Zora on the Terrace, abstract paintings by Philip Guston and Sean Scully, Van der Weyden's Deposition, Bosch' Garden of Earthly Delights, Aphrodite of Chios, Venus de Milo, Duccio's Adoration, and Rubens' Garden of Love. Again... it seems my choices are quite broad in terms of style and subject.
    It is not what I have noticed during 1,5 years. You know it very well as I addressed it a number of times.

BTW, it is good that you post art again. A forum without art is extremely boring.....and I love to be inspired.

ftil what inspires you mostly about art? is it the way the images are laid or is it the ideas behind the arts?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    ftil what inspires you mostly about art? is it the way the images are laid or is it the ideas behind the arts?
    It depends whether I look at art for a pleasure, uplift my soul, or I do my research. But I don’t like talking about art. Words are useless as images speak out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by ftil View Post
    It depends whether I look at art for a pleasure, uplift my soul, or I do my research. But I don’t like talking about art. Words are useless as images speak out loud.
    I agree talking about art is superficial compare to what it tells you when it looks at you. It is kind different and rather intuitive. No one really knows what one sees from one same image picture.
    what would you say is your best painting ever?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    I agree talking about art is superficial compare to what it tells you when it looks at you. It is kind different and rather intuitive. No one really knows what one sees from one same image picture.
    what would you say is your best painting ever?
    There are many paintings I love. But as I said, I don’t like talking about art. I also don’t have time for that kind of discussions. Talk to St. Luke as he is willing to talk about art.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123