Page 12 of 217 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast

Thread: D.H. Lawrence's Short Stories Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Inspirangel, I can't find the helium baloon. By the way, to know a little about me, you can read my profile and my introduction here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=14853, which I think was ages ago.
    Virgil, I found the Helium link right above the video screen to the left, in the blog site. It looks like an ad.

Inspirangel, I know that poem very well and love it. Actually it is one of my favorites of L's. I liked very much your comments on the poem and will definitely read that entry again in more detail. It is very illuminating with good observations and things you have pointed out. Yes, L knew how to evoke the right kind of emotion. This poem is about his own childhood and his mother who played piano often, I believe. As everyone knows he had an unually close relationship to his mother. I feel this poem is almost a tribute to her and his memories of his home life, although depicted harshly in "Sons and Lovers" with the parents always at war, I have read in the biographies that the situation was not as bad as depicted, and his father not as quite as cruel and crude. It is true that the parents were very opposite, but L's home life had it's happy times, as well, and many fond memories especially those spend at the Hagg's farm. Later in life, L actually regretted his harsh depiction of his his father in "S&L's". Latest biographies have revealed this fact.

"The piano" poem is wonderful, is it not? Shows us, once again, the brilliance of L's perceptive mind.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

behind the sky on the other side of the rain
    Ok...I'm done reading The Prussian Officer...
    "Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and universe...there is a reason."

- Douglas Adams

inspirangel
    a rainbow-swept wilderness location on top of the Moors - UK
    What ??? Oh no ....... I only just joined yesterday and havent even started it yet !! AND ive got to read Othello !! AND 2 Seamus Heaney books !! Your location sounds a bit similar to mine !! I love your quote and reference to Robert Graves !! Glad to have found this site, now wheres that link to the Prussian Officer .....................

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by inspirangel View Post
    What ??? Oh no ....... I only just joined yesterday and havent even started it yet !! AND ive got to read Othello !! AND 2 Seamus Heaney books !! Your location sounds a bit similar to mine !! I love your quote and reference to Robert Graves !! Glad to have found this site, now wheres that link to the Prussian Officer .....................
    Inspirangel, I just sent you a Private Message with the ink.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

inspirangel
    Thank you and Janine very much for discussing my article - I am interested to hear that L later regretted his harsh depiction - it is a thing all artists/writers have to be wary of - the written word can be cast in stone and is difficult to retract - I am always fascinated by the bravery/foolhardiness of writers publishing semi autobiographical first works - like the great one about the Brontes trying to keep their location a secret !! I am nervous of reading any bios about Lawrence, I like to rey and discern him from his writing alone.

Blog Entries
    Thank you and Janine very much for discussing my article - I am interested to hear that L later regretted his harsh depiction - it is a thing all artists/writers have to be wary of - the written word can be cast in stone and is difficult to retract - I am always fascinated by the bravery/foolhardiness of writers publishing semi autobiographical first works - like the great one about the Brontes trying to keep their location a secret !! I am nervous of reading any bios about Lawrence, I like to rey and discern him from his writing alone.
    inspirangel, You are very welcome. I really enjoyed reading what I had time for yesterday, especially the exerpt from S & L and the bird's nest and I adore the piano poem - I have for a long time now. I will explore your blog when I do have more time, sorry time was so limited yesterday. It seems to be very good and well constructed. You have done a fine job on it.

Well, I have a different view on biographies; also the letters (by Lawrence, himself) reveal much about him biographically and about his work. I have said it before and no doubt will say it many times again - "you cannot separate the author from his history and his life, thus his biography". True that many people are writing biographies about the same man and some part of that is their own view - that is why I try to soak up as much as I can, but then sift through the information from each biographer and determine what has validity and what is probably false or exaggerated. That is why I read 3 full biographies so far. I knew these to be highly rated and also current, and this too is why I am planning another biography from Cambridge or perhaps several more. You see, with me it is a sort of passionate 'quest' of learning more about the author I love and admire so much. Also, as I said, his letters reveal much. I just read the 3 travel books in "D.H.Lawrence and Italy";this reveals much insight into Lawrence and the way his mind worked. It is very personal and one begins to feel the true essence of the man himself. This greatly interests me because now I begin to understand his works so much better and on a deeper level. But especially with Lawrence his work is so closely tied into his past and the many people he meet along the way and had interaction with. To view the works alone, without the benefit of knowing Lawrence himself, to some extend is limited and not with fullest scope. Suit yourself, but to read a good biography of Lawrence is very benefical to a better knowledge of his development and writing styles, his theology and ideas and belief systems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Inspirangel, I just sent you a Private Message with the ink.
    Hi Virgil, I just sent you a PM with a request to send the link to Nossa, also. She could not access the link I send - email will explain better. Thanks ~ J

inspirangel
    Yes Janine, I agree with all that you say - I am tempted to read everything going !! It is my own defects that stop me - not Lawrences or the biographers' - maybe I am stuck in a time-warp where I only like his earlier stuff !! Not very realistic I know, but I will spread the rest of his works out over a lifetime !! - I am also a great devotee of memoirs and letters !! Reading The Prussian Officer tomorrow and Othello tonight !

Blog Entries
    Yes Janine, I agree with all that you say - I am tempted to read everything going !! It is my own defects that stop me - not Lawrences or the biographers' - maybe I am stuck in a time-warp where I only like his earlier stuff !! Not very realistic I know, but I will spread the rest of his works out over a lifetime !! - I am also a great devotee of memoirs and letters !! Reading The Prussian Officer tomorrow and Othello tonight !
    inspirangel, I am glad you get my point about biographies. Yes, it takes quite a bit of time to do. I am about to embark on reading "D.H.Lawrence ~The Early Years ~Cambridge Edition". You know I too am quite interested in his early years and his early fiction. I recently read his first published novel just for that reason "The White Peacock". It is hard to get this book but luckily I found one reasonable on Amazon and was glad I read it. Although not totally polished, it showed L's great potential as a story teller and much more and also it has some lovely passages such as the one I earier mentioned to you about the bird nest. I promise when I am not too busy to type that out and send it to you in a PM. You will love it. I was impressed that such a young man could write a book with that much insight and substance. If you can, try and read his letters. I am trying to read a few at a time. Lawrence was a prolific letter writer and his letters are as lovely as his prose. I recently read one that actually gave me goose-bumps. I felt like I knew the young man from that one letter; it was an early one. He is very revealing in his letters of just who he is. I love them. I have not gotten very far, but figure to read a few a night or even a week.

Othello - now you are talking! Another one of my obsessions - Shakespeare! I absolutely love the play and I love the film by Parker. I have watched it countless times. I am mesmerized by Iago - so much the conniving and consumate villian. It is a great play - one of Shakespeare's best!

Did you know we have a Shakespeare discussion group currently going. The moderators set up the sequence so for this one it is Titus A. I refrained from that play but will pick up again on the next - one of the histories. The plays are alternated between histories, traqedies, comedies. See thread for more details.

inspirangel
    Dont tempt me with the Shakespeare discussion as well ! Im already distracted but it is great to find a good site with knowledgeable enthusiastic people - I am closely looking at the theme of revenge, rather than race, to begin with.

Blog Entries
    Dont tempt me with the Shakespeare discussion as well ! Im already distracted but it is great to find a good site with knowledgeable enthusiastic people - I am closely looking at the theme of revenge, rather than race, to begin with.
    Therein the story lies. Enjoy your reading.

inspirangel
    OK Everbody I'm ready !! I have been and got "The Prussian Officer" - dazzling stuff, and quite heartening too, for the aspiring writer - I tried to read it from an editor's point of view for a change to see if I would have sent it back for any revisions - and was surprised at my own notes !! Shocked to discover that I was glad he had done the terrible deed !! (for those who havent yet got to that part!!)

Blog Entries
    OK Everbody I'm ready !! I have been and got "The Prussian Officer" - dazzling stuff, and quite heartening too, for the aspiring writer - I tried to read it from an editor's point of view for a change to see if I would have sent it back for any revisions - and was surprised at my own notes !! Shocked to discover that I was glad he had done the terrible deed !! (for those who havent yet got to that part!!)
    inspirangel, Glad you finished the story and obviously liked it. I like your enthusiasm. Yes, Lawrence really delivers. But shhhhhh...don't give the story away. I know some people are still reading it. Probably the discussion will start on Monday, so hang in there.

Blog Entries
    Hello to all the new comers! We look forward to the 'up and coming' discussion of "The Prussian Officer".
    In case you have not read the first page and post of this Lawrence short story thread, written eloquently by Virgil, I am including the link to this page below. If that does not work please just check out the first post of this thread, same thing. Virgil did a fine job presenting a brief, but concise introduction to the short stories of D.H.Lawrence. Many do not know just how fine a short story writer Lawrence was, probably this being due to the fact that he was so well know for his novels and his poetry. Therefore, his short stories many times have been passed over (being over-shadowed by his longer works), and in actuality they are simply some of the most insightful and beautiful writings of any short story author. I hope everyone will invest a few minutes to read this introductory post. you will not be sorry. Virgil quotes someone's view of rediscovering L after many years; he read this on the internet and shares these thoughts here; they are very sincere and heartfelt; I think most of us can relate to just how this person felt.
    I know you will all enjoy the discussion on "The Prussian Officer". It also would greatly benefit everyone to read the prior posts and comments on the other two short stories we discussed, perhaps after first reading those stories.
    I am looking forward to all the new participants and their fine comments and interaction, For sometime, I have wondered where all the Lawrence enthusiasts were, and now I am thrilled to find several new people interested and enthusiastic about discussing this unique and profound author.
    Welcome all!

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?

Thanks so much for reading this post. Janine
    Last edited by Janine; 04-29-2007 at 02:53 AM.

inspirangel
    Hi, just thought you might need to know that the thread you gave for Virgil didnt work ? From where I am anyway - pity cos I wanted to read what he had to say - will go back to the Short Story Thread and see if can find it there ?
    PS Is it appropriate to advertise this Literature Forum on other sites ? I am happy to advertise our upcoming discussion on my MySpace (some Nature/Lawrence enthusiasts on thee !)