View Poll Results: Please vote for the story you like best by December 31st.

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • You Ooze, You Lose

7 11.48%
  • Playing the Piano

6 9.84%
  • Kim and Me

19 31.15%
  • The Story of Remembering

9 14.75%
  • Forever Young

20 32.79%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Short Story Competition Final

Blog Entries
    I can imagine the horror you must have felt, but it's a relief they took it so seriously. I read that an alarming high percentage of young people / teenagers contemplate suicide, but thankfully most don't carry it out or outgrow it.

"But do you really, seriously, Major Scobie," Dr. Sykes asked, "believe in hell?"
    "Oh, yes, I do."
    "In flames and torment?"
    "Perhaps not quite that. They tell us it may be a permanent sense of loss."
    "That sort of hell wouldn't worry me," Fellowes said.
    "Perhaps you've never lost anything of importance," Scobie said.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    Is that 100 posts when they voted, or a 100 posts when voting closes?
    When the voting closes.

I would like to remind everyone that it is not against the competition rules to vote for one's own story and we should not pressure anyone to avoid this.

Four more votes to reach 50...
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

To quote Sancho (hardly ever advisable, do so at your own risk), this reader doesn't have a horse in this race and has never submitted to the contest.

That said, there's just something so... affirming about a self-vote. Validating, even. It's like nipping yourself on the chin and saying, "You can do it, buddy. You're good enough. You're smart enough. And, gosh darn it, people like you."

And there's something weird about voting against yourself. This reader can't articulate it- do you know that scene from The Seventh Seal where those people are walking around whipping themselves for being unclean and yelling out apologies? That kind of weird.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    To quote Sancho (hardly ever advisable, do so at your own risk), this reader doesn't have a horse in this race and has never submitted to the contest.

That said, there's just something so... affirming about a self-vote. Validating, even. It's like nipping yourself on the chin and saying, "You can do it, buddy. You're good enough. You're smart enough. And, gosh darn it, people like you."

And there's something weird about voting against yourself. This reader can't articulate it- do you know that scene from The Seventh Seal where those people are walking around whipping themselves for being unclean and yelling out apologies? That kind of weird.J
    Utter nonsense. If you are not sure of your story, don't screwball by posting it for competition. And if you are sure, vote for it.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    Sadly no one would be sorry if I were gone.
    Happily many more are glad that you are here!

Haha thanks cafolini. This reader, for just half a moment, got a tremendously surreal feeling about the world as he imagined himself setting off your nonsense alert.

J

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post

...this reader doesn't have a horse in this race and has never submitted to the contest.
    Okay... you've done it now...

(You know the drill. The following must be read out at a very quick pace indeed, and preferably after a good quantity of helium has been inhaled.)

It's Kim and Me leading Forever Young by a very short neck and coming up the rear is The Story of Remembering, The Story of Remembering closely followed by You Ooze, You Lose, but so far holding his own, as Playing the Piano is gaining ground going round the corner as we approach the final stretch. Kim and Me holding onto the lead as Forever Young is going off the rail, and The Story of Remembering just behind them looking to challenge the lead, but is he too far behind, KIM AND ME AND FOREVER YOUNG JUST TWO HUNDRED YARDS TO GO AS WE APPROACH NEW YEAR'S, and these two are DEFINITELY going for a photo finish, will it be Kim and Me or Forever Young, Kim and Me and Forever Young, Kim and Young and Forever Me, Me and Young and Forever Kim still head to head and --

(Ran out of helium.)

Merry Christmas to all

DH
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Now that right there made El Sancho laugh out loud – albeit a high-pitched, rarified, squeal of a laugh.
    Uhhhh...

Well, if Jack of Hearts really is 5 characters, then 5 of Kims votes are from him. I appreciate your honesty. To be honest, I have noticed that the folks on the other side of the pond always like their literature a bit complicated, dysfunctional and esoteric. I remember how disappointed I was when I went to England and took British literature and they assigned me all these people who had been banned, ran out of the country, etc...all I wanted was a bit of Shakespeare. Truthfully, I didn't get some of these stories either.

Quote Originally Posted by soundofmusic View Post
    Well, if Jack of Hearts really is 5 characters, then 5 of Kims votes are from him. I appreciate your honesty. To be honest, I have noticed that the folks on the other side of the pond always like their literature a bit complicated, dysfunctional and esoteric. I remember how disappointed I was when I went to England and took British literature and they assigned me all these people who had been banned, ran out of the country, etc...all I wanted was a bit of Shakespeare. Truthfully, I didn't get some of these stories either.
    Jack of Hearts definitely isn't Hillwalker.

I'm not even sure it's possible to open multiple LitNet accounts under false identities.

As for esoterica - it's so much more rewarding when you have to have to think while you're reading a story or watching a film.

H

Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    Jack of Hearts definitely isn't Hillwalker.

I'm not even sure it's possible to open multiple LitNet accounts under false identities.

As for esoterica - it's so much more rewarding when you have to have to think while you're reading a story or watching a film.

H
    Well, while I enjoy stories that make me think, sometimes when I read I don't want to think. I'm already thinking about something that I want a reprieve from. Therefore, during these times, I enjoy a story that just takes me away and doesn't force me to use my intellectual faculties.
    I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just glad to have a glass.

Anybody who can alternate between writing like each of those particular five posters is a way better writer than Jack of Hearts- and has an infinitely greater sense of satire.

J

That is a good point, Silent, we folks...at least down South, turn off the thoughts, turn down the lights, get some cocoa and a cookie to relax...When I was in England, folks were discussing politics while drinking lagger, discussing literature while drinking tea...I want to peak in their bedrooms and see if they discuss profound things sitting up in bed and drinking cocoa?

Quote Originally Posted by DocHeart View Post
    Okay... you've done it now...

(You know the drill. The following must be read out at a very quick pace indeed, and preferably after a good quantity of helium has been inhaled.)

It's Kim and Me leading Forever Young by a very short neck and coming up the rear is The Story of Remembering, The Story of Remembering closely followed by You Ooze, You Lose, but so far holding his own, as Playing the Piano is gaining ground going round the corner as we approach the final stretch. Kim and Me holding onto the lead as Forever Young is going off the rail, and The Story of Remembering just behind them looking to challenge the lead, but is he too far behind, KIM AND ME AND FOREVER YOUNG JUST TWO HUNDRED YARDS TO GO AS WE APPROACH NEW YEAR'S, and these two are DEFINITELY going for a photo finish, will it be Kim and Me or Forever Young, Kim and Me and Forever Young, Kim and Young and Forever Me, Me and Young and Forever Kim still head to head and --

(Ran out of helium.)

Merry Christmas to all

DH

Haha, it must be Christmas to be getting one of these from DocLove.

J

Quote Originally Posted by soundofmusic View Post
    That is a good point, Silent, we folks...at least down South, turn off the thoughts, turn down the lights, get some cocoa and a cookie to relax...When I was in England, folks were discussing politics while drinking lagger, discussing literature while drinking tea...I want to peak in their bedrooms and see if they discuss profound things sitting up in bed and drinking cocoa?
    We can actually do both (not at the same time, obviously). That's what TV was invented for - switching off the brain and plugging into the dumbed-down universe of 'easy entertainment'.
    And trust me, there's not a great deal of discussion goes on in the bedroom...! (other than the price of groceries, what colour flooring to get for the new kitchen and who to invite round for Christmas dinner...).

H