Page 102 of 139 FirstFirst ... 25292979899100101102103104105106107112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Smiles View Post
    Yes, but how about this quote:

England and America are two countries
    divided by a common language.

—George Bernard Shaw
    Well, yes. But he stayed Fabian. Never grasped Freemasons to end.
    Besides, we'd have to have a talk with the Iron Lady about what side of the two countries is necessary to keep the armed forces, and have a good discussion about Gibraltar and Falklands(as a minimum).
    Last edited by cafolini; 03-21-2012 at 03:09 PM.

"True love is always right, even when it is in the wrong." - Milan Kundera
    "...You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?..." E. A. Poe

People believe or disbelieve in unconditional love. I know it doesn't occur. But there occurs a lot of love which keeps the best going against hate. Historically, love always wins this battle. What's missing in hate? Hope for the best.

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    “Art to me is an anecdote of the spirit.” Mark Rothko

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post
    “Art to me is an anecdote of the spirit.” Mark Rothko
    Isn't it a little too humble for the dedication? Would you try to convince Degas or Van Gogh about this one? I don't think so.

Blog Entries
    "An anecdote is a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person. It may be as brief as the setting and provocation of a bon mot. An anecdote is always presented as based on a real incident[1] involving actual persons, whether famous or not, usually in an identifiable place. However, over time, modification in reuse may convert a particular anecdote to a fictional piece, one that is retold but is "too good to be true". Sometimes humorous, anecdotes are not jokes, because their primary purpose is not simply to evoke laughter, but to reveal a truth more general than the brief tale itself, or to delineate a character trait in such a light that it strikes in a flash of insight to its very essence."

Your reply suggests that an anecdote is necessarily trivial, but that isn't the case. Perhaps it is better expressed as a "jeux d'esprit," a play of the mind or spirit.

"An anecdote is a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person. It may be as brief as the setting and provocation of a bon mot. An anecdote is always presented as based on a real incident[1] involving actual persons, whether famous or not, usually in an identifiable place. However, over time, modification in reuse may convert a particular anecdote to a fictional piece, one that is retold but is "too good to be true". Sometimes humorous, anecdotes are not jokes, because their primary purpose is not simply to evoke laughter, but to reveal a truth more general than the brief tale itself, or to delineate a character trait in such a light that it strikes in a flash of insight to its very essence."

Your reply suggests that an anecdote is necessarily trivial, but that isn't the case. Perhaps it is better expressed as a "jeux d'esprit," a play of the mind or spirit.
    No, I didn't mean trivial. Jeux d'esprit is better because of being more or less constant. However, as Degas pointed out, the only spontaneous behavior on the part of the artist might be Aristotelian flies as revealed by Turberville Needham.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes. - Benjamin Franklin
    I believe I came across this one whilst playing a Total War game (how educative games are) and it just stuck with me because it is so true. Also sort of gloomy now that I think about it...
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past - The Great Gatsby

Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice - Polonius (Hamlet)

Blog Entries
    “By dint of railing at idiots we run the risk of becoming idiots ourselves.” Gustave Flaubert

If a man insisted always on being serious, and never allowed himself a bit of fun and relaxation, he would go mad or become unstable without knowing it. ~ Herodotus

What is common to the greatest number gets the least amount of care. Men pay most attention to what is their own; they care less for what is common; or at any rate they care for it only to the extent to which each is individually concerned. Even when there is no other cause for inattention, men are more prone to neglect their duty when they think that another is attending to it.

Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by jajdude View Post
    What is common to the greatest number gets the least amount of care. Men pay most attention to what is their own; they care less for what is common; or at any rate they care for it only to the extent to which each is individually concerned. Even when there is no other cause for inattention, men are more prone to neglect their duty when they think that another is attending to it.

Aristotle
    This is no longer true in the United States of America and many other states. Aristotle's in the museum. If you think Aristotle is correct, you better research the actual state of affairs. I know there are lots of mongers making money from saying that the opposite is true. But they can't pull it. They try, though. They'll lose campaign after campaign, as things stand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    This is no longer true in the United States of America and many other states. Aristotle's in the museum. If you think Aristotle is correct, you better research the actual state of affairs. I know there are lots of mongers making money from saying that the opposite is true. But they can't pull it. They try, though. They'll lose campaign after campaign, as things stand.
    This is a remarkable statement in view of the recent bursting of the mortgage bubble, owing to the sale of so many sub-prime mortgages! And are you aware of the difference in the income of the top 1% of the US population vs the average among the rest of the people?

This is a remarkable statement in view of the recent bursting of the mortgage bubble, owing to the sale of so many sub-prime mortgages! And are you aware of the difference in the income of the top 1% of the US population vs the average among the rest of the people?
    The mortgage bubble is just ONE buble. Money in America is fictitious. The important thing in America are the human resources. How much is a person worth that can be trained fast in 5000 different jobs as compared to one that, culturally inhibited in all respects, cannot be trained fast in more than 2 or 3 jobs.
    I agree, my previous statement was quite remarkable. This is even more so. This is a CLUE of an even far more remarkable one. Have fun.
    Not everyone saw what Napoleon thought about the use of statistics. They can be used very properly and extremely profitably, without confounding but the confused.

I want to add something important to this. Let's say the superrich make a billion when before that they made 900,000,000. Let's say that during the same period the middle class makes 5,000,000 when before that they made 4,000,000.
    Increase superrich: about 10%. Increase middle class: about 20%.
    If I am middle class, am I going to shoot myself in the foot on account of envy? Even more remarcable.
    Last edited by cafolini; 03-30-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    The mortgage bubble is just ONE buble. Money in America is fictitious.
    I'd be grateful to hear your explanation of this second sentence.