Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: God and Love

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
    In point of fact God omnipresence, ubiquity is unquestionable and we understand God as an epitome of compassion, love and empathy. We do not align his presence as a mere philosophical proposition or idealization. It is the presence or manifestation of him through love and compassion. We cannot deny the presence or existence of love as long as we are in this world, and the fact that when it comes to a question of love there is sacrificial issues that kind of resonates the presence of both love and God
    I am reminded of a quotation of William Blake, "if a thing loves, it is infinite."

I agree with what you said so much, and I don't think it can be summarized better. Another thing Blake said which is similar to the first sentence of your post, is "Where pity love and mercy dwell, there God is dwelling too." I actually saw a similar quote to this and Blake may have simply reworded it.

Don't worry, Be Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackperson
    It may take many lifetimes to get there, for first, we would have to reach a state where we are free of desires and are pure beings without an ego, with only a longing for God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Hi laidbackperson,

Why? Assuming God is omni-everything, why go through all of this. It already knows the eventual outcome. Why make so many suffer through so much pain and confusion simply to reach a known point. Why not just fast-forward to the point it desires?

I'm agnostic--uncertain--so I could be wrong. I do understand hope however. Hoping that folks we know who've died are in a gentle paradise is perfectly understandable. I hope. I'm just not certain. Are you?

Blessings,
    Doug
    I have been thinking what to reply to you.

The root question of all discussions in the religious text forum is : Is there really some power like God existing in our universe?

Because once we all agree unanimously about God being really there, then I think answer to all other questions can be derived.

The answer to your question can be: God though omnipotent and capable of performing any task, prefers the events to happen at a defined pace to fast-forwarding everything and ending all suffering.

It may be because everything (suffering included) is only part of an eternal play, and even majority of us would like to see a movie as a normal viewing rather than a fast-forward viewing. It may even be because it’s God desire to bound Himself to certain laws framed by Him, as a litnet user Emmy Castrol has wisely suggested in her answer in another thread.

As for my being certain about above answer, no, I am not. To answer with certainty I should know (or remember from past lives) the facts first hand or should have a hotline with God. But I am not good enough presently.

Coming to the root question, have we wondered why a percentage population believes in God and why remaining percentage do not believe or remains in doubt. Both categories live in the same world, faces similar set of problems and watch same events unfolding in the world. Still one category believes that the world runs on its own, without a controller (God) and second category believes that there is a God behind everything.

There may be a brash atheist and there may be a rigid believer, but many persons in both categories will be open minded, understand fully what other party is saying and then taking a decision to believe or not to believe in God.

For believers it may seem a tougher choice, for there are no direct proofs of the type the atheists seek for God’s existence.

If I haphazard a guess then I will say that, when your time for believing will come (It may be beyond this lifetime), you will begin to believe. And you will believe even when there will be obstacles, failures and suffering.
    You will have your moments of doubt but you will keep returning to God. It can be because you will begin to see and understand the signs/omens of Gods in day to day life, in mundane things, in small failures, pains, success and other such things.

There can also be minor miracles.

You will start seeing the God’s hand in everything and not only in the football goal that Maradona scored in a world cup match against England.

lys
    God...........for me...........it is not a question of whether God exists or no...but is the ability to idealize and direct our emotions of love and sanity towards a sacred thing we call god........it is the ability to believe in something superior to us for comfort when in need and for reasons when life is just meaningless............the believe in God means that individuals have faith and hope........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lys View Post
    God...........for me...........it is not a question of whether God exists or no...but is the ability to idealize and direct our emotions of love and sanity towards a sacred thing we call god........it is the ability to believe in something superior to us for comfort when in need and for reasons when life is just meaningless............the believe in God means that individuals have faith and hope........
    Thank you so much for your post! And welcome to Lit-net. May you find it enjoyable here.

I am part of different religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Daoism, etc., yet I think there is one reality penetrating all such divisions, and they are not divisions to me. To explain my God simply,

God to me is the source of reality, and of all things. This is above the physical life, and the mental life even, and some argue against it. I, nor anyone else, can argue against someone who does not believe in a single, non-dual, and infinite source of all reality. I cannot argue what is sacred to me with someone who desires more than anything to turn that sacred into something profane.

But anyway, that is how I define God, the infinite, non-dual, source of all. Our separateness from God is an illusion, and we should associate ourselves with the soul rather than the body; at least that is the goal. The soul is greater than all of nature.

Thank you again for posting and I hope all is going well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    Thank you so much for your post! And welcome to Lit-net. May you find it enjoyable here.

I am part of different religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Daoism, etc., yet I think there is one reality penetrating all such divisions, and they are not divisions to me. To explain my God simply,

God to me is the source of reality, and of all things. This is above the physical life, and the mental life even, and some argue against it. I, nor anyone else, can argue against someone who does not believe in a single, non-dual, and infinite source of all reality. I cannot argue what is sacred to me with someone who desires more than anything to turn that sacred into something profane.

But anyway, that is how I define God, the infinite, non-dual, source of all. Our separateness from God is an illusion, and we should associate ourselves with the soul rather than the body; at least that is the goal. The soul is greater than all of nature.

Thank you again for posting and I hope all is going well for you.
    This idea that we all despite we have different religions we must have a faith transcending religious divisions is fantastic.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12