Thread: The works of Thoreau through movies

The works of Thoreau through movies

Have you seen the puzzling "Into the wild" ?
    Give you impressions and please quote Thoreau's quotes that appeared in the movie if you do remember and from what work have they been picked up.
    Cheers

Hello, it was one of the most poetic and sensitive movies I have ever seen that one.
    The quote I noticed was about the truth taken from The Walden. " From love and wealth I mostly prefer truth"
    I do not recall any other quote from Thoreau, in general though he expressed most of Thoreau's philosophy with the approach and attitude to life that he had adopted.
    Thank you

In the movie he quotes directly "Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

In the book however Thoreau is mentioned numerous times. Mccandless even highlighted quite a few passages like the one in Higher Laws about how the fish filled Thoreau in the same way potatoes would.

Walden Fan from China
    wonderful, and I love this movie too, because of Walden.

I really enjoyed the film, I thought it was a beautiful story with a soundtrack to match.

I can't remember if this was in the film, I certainly doubt if the whole passage was, but it was one of the passages of Walden highlighted by McCandless that was mentioned in the book by Jon Krakauer, and one that I like, especially the last line:

"No man ever followed his genius till it mislead him. Though the result were bodily weakness, no one can say that perhaps the consequences were to be regretted, for these were a life in conformity to higher principals. If the day and night are such that you greet them with joy, and life emits a fragrance like flowers and sweet-scented herbs, is more elastic, more starry, more immortal, - that is your success, and you have cause momentarily to bless yourself. The greatest gains and values are farthest from being appreciated. We easily come to doubt if they exist. We soon forget them. They are the highest reality... The true harvest of daily life is somewhat intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched."