Thread: Uncle

Uncle

Nathaniel Hawthorne is one of my great uncles from a very long time ago. I think this book is absolutely terrific. Yes, it does take some thinking, but if you actually pay attention you will like it. I love this book and I am going to read more of his books. For the people who liked it, they probably payed attention like other people didn't.

While The House of the Seven Gables might not be as well-known as The Scarlet Letter, it is definitely a masterpiece in its own right. Some critics have pointed out that it takes very long for the plot to develop, but I believe the description of the atmosphere presented in this novel is about as important as the storyline itself: In portraying the atmosphere surrounding the old mansion together with the people who live in it, Hawthorne manages to link a present state with events that have taken place in the past, i.e. in the time the house was built. Inasmuch the mansion might be said to be haunted by the ghost of the past, as Hawthorne himself is, to a certain extent: in his writings, Hawthorne deals with the Salem Witch Trials over and over again, (partly) because one of his own ancestors was involved in the trials.
    Last edited by Rheingold; 10-28-2007 at 03:25 AM.