Thread: Whitman

Whitman

I am not particularly keen on poetry, but I do like Whitman's poetry because it is so beautiful..Whitman’s Poem “Out of the Cradle, Endlessly Rocking,” is not, at first glance, an obvious love poem. Most readers would probably consider this a tragic poem about death and love lost. In spite of the fact that the poem is about intrinsically sorrowful events, or perhaps because of it, Whitman is able to capture a very unique and poignant portrayal of love.now i wanted to read Brooklyn Bridge By whitman but what i found is Crossing Brooklyn Ferry..So Any body knows the both are same or not??

Hello, Sana Shahid, welcome to the forum!
    I certainly share your reverence for Walt Whitman, though I often find him very misunderstood among most other poets of his era; regardless, he certainly began a new trend in poetry that changed its artistic side forever.
    As for the poem you refer to, in my book of Whitman's complete poetry and selected prose, I could not find a poem called "Brooklyn Bridge," but only "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry." Feeling a little perplexed at the similarities of these titles, I did some research on the Internet, and found the poem alternately entitled "Crossying Brooklyn Bridge," though the original title Whitman wrote as "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry."
    For anyone interested, you can find it here.

Thanks Mono for linking Crossing Brooklyn Ferry. I used it as an epigraph in one of my poems. I had a bit from Wordsworth but a stanza in Ferry I found to be more appropriate.
    "Well, God give them wisdom that have it; and those that are fools, let them use their talents."

- Feste, Twelfth Night

"...till human voices wake us and we drown."

- Eliot

Used to be my mommy's tummy. But now i'm not so sure.
    I may have not looked hard enough but I didn't see Whitman on this site so heres a link to that love poem. Enjoy.
    http://www.bartleby.com/142/212.html
    Irish poets, learn your trade!
    -Yeats