Thread: The most generally regarded English version

The most generally regarded English version

I just read War & Peace, The Original Version, and suspicious about the ending, I wound up at this site. Seeing that there are several more parts than the seven in the version I've just read, but this version being my introduction to Tolstoy, I want to read "the Classical text" version, but don't know anything about this subject. I want to read the most generally accepted and read English translation, and the longer the better, can any of you offer me some advice? Which book exactly am I looking for?

I'm starting Anna Karenina tonight! Really excited!

Original is much longer and I am not sure whether version on this site is or isn't original. Ask mods, they should know it. Original is about 1400 pages so you can try in your library.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by cidkid View Post
    I just read War & Peace, The Original Version, and suspicious about the ending, I wound up at this site. Seeing that there are several more parts than the seven in the version I've just read, but this version being my introduction to Tolstoy, I want to read "the Classical text" version, but don't know anything about this subject. I want to read the most generally accepted and read English translation, and the longer the better, can any of you offer me some advice? Which book exactly am I looking for?

I'm starting Anna Karenina tonight! Really excited!
    Which translation? The Constance Garnett version?
    "We look at the world, at governments, across the spectrum, some with more freedom, some with less. And we observe that the more repressive the State is, the closer life under it resembles Death. If dying is deliverance into a condition of total non-freedom, then the State tends, in the limit, to Death. The only way to address the problem of the State is with counter-Death, also known as Chemistry." -- Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day