Thread: Persuasion

Jenny

Persuasion

While I do not think this is Austen's best novel, I do enjoy it and think it explores a lot of interesting issues in family dynamics and the role of women during the time period.<br><br>I would recommend this to people who already have read Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice, because they give you an appreciation for Persuasion. However, I would not recommend starting with this book because it might dissuade some people from reading other Austen work because it tends to be slow and complicated in some parts.<br><br>

April, come she will... scruffy_danny's Avatar
    Interestingly enough I just finished reading it and it was my first Jane Austen. I thought it was brilliant. Though it wasn't exactly the most exciting book I've read (indeed far from it) I still thoroughly appreciated the perfect style in which it was written. It also had a tendency to amuse me quite often, the character Mary being particularly funny.

behind the sky on the other side of the rain
    I just finished reading this and I have to say that I really liked it. I still like Pride and Prejudice better but Persuasion is my second favorite.
    "Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and universe...there is a reason."

- Douglas Adams

Persuasion is an excellent Jane Austen. People assume that she is just Pride and Prejudice when they do not read her other novels. I myself love Sense and Sensibility too.

Yes Persuasion did not have the most exciting plot it was however very well written and Austen as usual did an excellent job at describing her characters.

Whenever I see a film based on a Jane Austen novel (especially Pride and Prejudice) I always think that they cast it really well and its exactly the way I thought that character was to be.
    Pull out his eyes
    Apologize
    Apologize
    Pull out his eyes

Apologize
    Pull out his eyes
    Pull out his eyes
    Apologize

-James Joyce
    Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Blog Entries
    Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austen Novel. Anne Eliot is like my heroine. Throughout the whole novel you feel her pain. Imagine watching the man you loved and still love flirting with young ladies that are practically family to you!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules