Thread: English

Shandi

English

This is a very good book if I had the time to read this book again then I would, I would suggest this book to mostly girls because I think girls would<br>be more interested in this book. Because it is kind of a love story. In a way.<br> PEACE OUT !

A black morning's work

This is a passage from Emma:

"there was some satisfaction in considering with what self-denying, generous friendship she had always wished and promoted the match; but it was a black morning's work for her."

Does anyone know what is "a black morning's work "?
    I'd very appreciate any explaination of this expression.
    Last edited by geez; 10-06-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Katie
    It means that it was bad for Emma.
    This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with force.

thank you

I just took a peek of your public profile, and you said your favorate book is Pride and Prejudice. So it's not that you don't like Austen's writing; you don't like Emma the character, right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ha! I didn't know that was your signature. So you didn't mean we should throw this book with force!
    Last edited by geez; 11-11-2005 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Need to

Quote Originally Posted by Shandi View Post
    This is a very good book if I had the time to read this book again then I would, I would suggest this book to mostly girls because I think girls would<br>be more interested in this book. Because it is kind of a love story. In a way.<br> PEACE OUT !
    i find this comment offensive. i think that cnsidering it a female book is very ignorant/immature. certainly the fact that i read just about anything as long as i find it intelligent might make me different from normal male readers, but i still think that the theme in the book and the comments on human nature make it unimportant in regards to the gender of the reader.

Matrim - I agree with you in that I think Emma is much more than a love story. In fact, the love story was a very weak part of the novel - the way Knightley tells Emma off, she goes through this self-discovery process and the result of that is she falls in love with Knightley??? I didn't like that part at all. I thought the themes around social conventions/social order/importance of marriage are much more valuable than the love theme in this novel. Pride and Prejudice would be a much more "girly" book in comparison.

I *asked* for my account to be "deleted"
    Blog Entries
    i'm thinking about it, but no. it doesn't come close to a sleazy Harlequin pocketbook.

The book includes this sentence: "It was, indeed, a highly-prized letter. Mrs. Weston had, of course, formed a very favourable idea of the young man; and such a pleasing attention was an irresistible proof of his great good sense, and a most welcome addition to every source and every expression of congratulation which her marriage had already secured"

How can we simplify the part "and a most welcome addition to every source and every expression of congratulation which her marriage had already secured"? What does that mean otherwise? Thanks.