Thread: Emma

Jim

Emma

I'm studying Emma at A-level, and although i know that the novel's dialogue is extremely well thought out, i find the book extremely superficial. (spelling? Never mind.) A previous comment stated that the action revolves around them going to each other's houses and gossiping. And, it cannot be said that it is easy to read, but that is because of our time. <br><br>The novel does, however, create "another world", as statistics show that "Emma" is the most popular book that people read when they are ill. The soothing subtleties and graceful nuances provided an unrivalled feeling of escapeism. <br><br>Having said that, i do not recommend it to people of my age. Try Robert Rankin's "Apocalypso" and "The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag". Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm studying Emma at A-level, and although i know that the novel's dialogue is extremely well thought out, i find the book extremely superficial. (spelling? Never mind.) A previous comment stated that the action revolves around them going to each other's houses and gossiping. And, it cannot be said that it is easy to read, but that is because of our time. <br><br>The novel does, however, create "another world", as statistics show that "Emma" is the most popular book that people read when they are ill. The soothing subtleties and graceful nuances provided an unrivalled feeling of escapeism. <br><br>Having said that, i do not recommend it to people of my age. Try Robert Rankin's "Apocalypso" and "The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag". Classics.
    im not sure what A-level is or how old you are, but i am in highschool and i find it as interesting as any other book. perhaps its not my favorite but im more or a less a fantasy science fiction addict. so much so that i often read across what my be considered the gender line. its very interesting to me how wide my range of interests is since i am not afraid to say that i enjoy reading a "sissy" book. in fact i havent read it since 4th grade but i am reading it now and am about half way through and i intend to take it to school becuase:
    a) school is very boring to me and also versy easy so that i often find myself reading through class. i expect (as people commonly make fun of me for reading so much and often bug me about the contents and title of my current book, usually 1 every day or two) that i will recieve a barrage of sexist attacks becuase of the low level of maturity in highschool. in fact thats one of the reasons that i didnt finish it this morning. i enjoy being ignorantly attacked. its quite funny how silly some of the opinions of my peers are.

I *asked* for my account to be "deleted"
    Blog Entries
    well, i love reading it. i MUST be ill.

I also don't like Emma. I think the characters in the novel are so boring and waste their life talking talking and talking. And Emma is bored to such an extent as to try to make couples. Besides there is no big sense in this novel, what the hell did the Jane Austen want to tell by the novel?
    One has only one destiny,
    He can not choose it.

Emma is my favorite Austen novel. (Although I haven't read them all yet.) It is richly written and, I agree, a great escape into another time and another life. The characters are well developed and realistic.

The point of the novel has to do with the havoc that is created with the mixing of the classes, which in Jane Austen's upper class circles was greatly frowned upon.

Whatever, I really enjoyed it and will probably read it again someday when I feel a need to take a walk in the nineteenth century.