Thread: Day That Never Were

Day That Never Were

I am collecting dates of [b]"Days that Never Were"[b][/i]:That is, dates of things that happened in fiction, but not in the real world.
    For example, January 6, 1854 is Sherlock Holmes's birthday; Februay 15, 1715 Lemuel Gulliver departs the Land of the Houyhnhnms.

Do you know of any such dates? If you do, i would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Anthing is game: novels, short stories, TV shows, movies -- anthing so long as it is dated (at least Month and Day) and fictional!

Help me out. I can use all the help i can get!
    Author of The Book of Days that Never Were -- a compilation of dates in literature, dates about the calendar, and related dated materials

On March 5, 1419 (if Pippin is accurate) the Hobbits Pippin and Merry were found at the gates of Isenguard by Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. --The Two Towers

On September 5, M. Morrel escaped suicide because of a "charitable gift" that kept his buisness from going bankrupt. -- The Count of Monte Cristo.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Very cool topic! I'll think about it and post what will come to my mind...if anything does
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

hope it would be helpful:

12.10 (no year though...) took the place the battle of the Cowshed in Orwell`s Animal Farm
    the same book... Midsummer day - The anniversary of the Rebellion.

Hier

"Hier", as in "Mother died yesterday". [Camus]

Seriously, I thinik this is an interesting post. I'll think about it. I'm anxious to see what people come up with.

One comes to mind: the Ides of March (the 15th). Was "Beware the Ides" made up by the Bard, or was it really mentioned in history as something Caesar should watch out for?

I think March 15 was considered a bad-luck day in Caesar's time, but I don't know whether or not he actually died on that day.

Here's one: At 11:26 A.M. on October 2, 1872 (a Wednesday, according to Jules Verne), Phileas Fogg takes on Jean Passepartout as manservant in Around the World in 80 Days.

On November 21 1934 Mayella Ewell was allegedly raped by Tom Robinson. (Harper Lee To Kill A Mockingbird).

Diego Vasquez, Jr.

In his Growing Through the Ugly, Vasquez opens the novel with "August 31, 1969. This is my first day of being dead...." The novel could possibly be the coming-of-age novel of the Chicano in United States. It is an easy read, with lots and lots of levels that college students could relate to and discuss in oral or written essays.

I think March 15 was considered a bad-luck day in Caesar's time, but I don't know whether or not he actually died on that day.
    It's the Ides of March, and yeah, he did die on that day(in the play, not sure about real life).
    "Life is pleasant, death is peaceful, it is the transition that is troublesome."
    -Asimov

*I in no way endorse his works, I just liked the quote

July 31--Harry Potter's birthday

Re: Day That Never Were

Perhaps the most famous literary celebration is the Bloomsday festival in Dublin, which marks the day--16 June 1904--when Leopold Bloom (the protagonist of 'Ulysses') was recorded in the longest day in literary history. 16 June 1904 is also the day that James Joyce met his wife Nora, which reveals 'Ulysses' as a very heartwarming dedication.

Camille: La dame aux camélias (Dumas fils)

Page 1: le 12 mars, 1847

Narrator sees the sign about the sale of Marguerite Gautier.

Days That Never Were already exists

I have been collecting fictional events for a number of years. My database currently includes over 1650 events.

The list is available in an Engagement Calendar published by Tide-mark press. There is also a Today in Fiction featurette (for lack of a better name) on salon.com on their books page that appears most days.

I do welcome additional events. They could be posted here or sent to: [email protected].

I am currently working on the 2005 edition.
    Now available:

The Book of Fictional Days: A Collection of Events That Did Not Really Happen

Available at your bookstore or from Tide-mark Press

22.09 --> Bilbo and Frodo Baggins birthday