Thread: Emma

Blog Entries

Emma

I just finished reading Emma for sumemr reading and I was kind of disappointed. For one thing, it was WAY too long for such a short plot. Also, I disliked most of the characters from the first time they appeared in the novel. Emma is such a spoiled annoying person and she tries to make the world revolve around her and what she wants.

Well, that is what makes Emma interesting - She is flawed (though I too a times found it difficult to feel sympathy for her). Jane Austen described her as "a heroine whom no one but myself will much like". Which is true for most people.

I agree with the fact that Austen just plain draws this one out entirely too long. The story is a good one, the characters are interesting enough, but the fact that she seems to overdo everything from character development to the plot line just makes the entire thing tiresome in the end. I found myself wanting to quit about half-way through, but plugged on until the end and was relieved when I had finished. Don't get me wrong, I think Jane Austen is a fabulous writer, but had she been a little more 'to the point' I may have enjoyed it more.

Hey, worst case scenario, go watch "Clueless"...Alicia Silverstone makes a wonderful modern-day Emma. And Gwyneth Paltrow pulls off the role fairly well also.

I *asked* for my account to be "deleted"
    Blog Entries
    Plot! Plot! Who cares about the plot!

Blog Entries
    In Emma, there were 3 women and 3 men at the beginning of the novel and at the end there were 3 married couples!