Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: This book was one of the worst books I have ever read

Jack

This book was one of the worst books I have ever read

This book was one of the worst books I have ever read and I am 64 years old. The theme was very boring and not captivating at all. The story took along time to pick up and then it went back down as soon as you started to understand it!!! Never Again!!

Hello Jack,

I am with you on this. Despite the accolades I struggled with it and found it a yawn.
    I'd like to know what was a zinger in your opinion. For me whatever the subject, whatever the setting I am always drawn to a story that has some form of redemption in it.

you two should go read harry potter perhaps; very easy to understand and the main character gets all the redemption he wants; oh and dont forget the quidditch!!!

Frankly I prefer to read Harry Potter it's more entertaining

But 1984 should make people think ... but do they ?

I, on the other hand, think 1984 was one of the best books i've ever read. It was an accurate prediction of the future. I also found the story captivating and well told. If that book doesn't get you thinking, you haven't done enough drugs.

It cannot be anywhere near one of the worst books you have read. Even the underlying context should stir even the mildest feeling in all of us. Any book that provides feeling cannot be the worst you have read.

Over-reaction my friend.

Exclamation gOODNESS

How can you say such pittyful nonsense about THE book!!!
    I don't know where you people live, but if you have never had to wait a month to eat a piece of chocolate,then you probably can say that 1984 is a dumb book!!!
    Some of us have lived in circomstances similar to the ones in the book,so we understand and find it completely captivating and true!!!
    KsenJAH

Adam
    I found '1984' to be highly thought provoking as it goes, and that was the aim of the book all along; to sow the seeds of doubt about our own future.

I have read 1984 this year, for an Informatic essay and I found it quite interesting. I was told to read Brave New World too, and that one I found boring.

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guida
    I have read 1984 this year, for an Informatic essay and I found it quite interesting. I was told to read Brave New World too, and that one I found boring.
    Brave New World and Great Expections I am ashamed to say are the only two books I have never finished... I am sorry, but 1984 is definatly much more etertaining. I loved this book, the symbolizm, the metaphors, the betrayal, the insight the creation of a culture of the few, brilliant, entertaining. A book though I thouht had many simularities was Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

I absolutely adored 1984, and thought it was one of the most interesting reads I'd ever had the pleasure to come across...unfortunately, I can't say the same for the Orwell novel I'm reading at the moment, Coming Up for Air. Dull and a bit slow-paced. Sigh.
    <3 Rubrior Quam Rosa. Pallidius Quam Lillia. Pulchrior Quam Omni. Semper In Te Veneratium. <3

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I actually liked both Great Expectations and Brave New World, though I have yet to read 1984. I've never been one to actively dislike a book--there's always something I find enjoyable (or at least interesting) about it, and ranking them relative to each other (besides being a comparison between apples and battleships) only demeans the efforts of the author to create something worth attention in its own right.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

personally i didnt like the book... i couldnt get into it at first and found it really hard to stick it out and continue throught... once the first boring part is over it was much better but the ending was painful!! but it was for my school essay so if anyone could be of any help to me.... can you help me by giving me some hints as to why the book still alarms readers in 2006 when it was set 22 years ago? that is my essay question and i need some serious help!!!

1984 is definitely still relevant to whats going on in our world today. and the book was written in 1948 so its even more amazing that it is still relevant 58 years later. With terrorism and other crap going on in our world our governments are trying to take away our basic freedoms, privacy, speech, press and other good stuff. i live in the US so i have some examples of the government tryin to take away our rights. the patriot act gives the government the power to tap our phones and basically watch us which is what Big Brother does in 1984. 1984 is basically a nightmare of what could happen if we take our freedoms for granted and allow our government to take away our freedoms in exchange for "safety." hope this helps and sorry if i sound too political. its hard not to.

"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I started read "1984" when it was in our "Book club", as I was reading online I couldn't go on with screen more than 2 chapters, decided to wait untill to get the book. (still waiting )
    i don't know how right it will be to make comments based on 2 first chapters, but i didn't find anything about future, it was the real life what soviet people had at the time of Stalin, especially at 1937. many people were killed or arrested for being accused to be against the system in that year. People were scared even to think about certain subject. I think Orwell just based on that in 1948. and Big brother with his moustache is prototype of Stalin .

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast