Thread: China is like Oceania without telescreens

Ian

No Subject

Hi Freeman. Did you post that comment from inside China? Are you still alive? Have the thought police come for you yet?<br><br>cheers,<br>Ian.

Josh

proles

I couldn't help but notice the similarities between 1984 and the present. Black people function as "proles", White people function as party members and White supremacists function as inner party members.<br>Truth is stanger than fiction.<br><br>Josh

Unregistered

If this person is inside China it is understandable that it refers the story only to Chinese Government. For us living in the Western World we have plenty of additional references. Erna

Jeremy

No Subject

Try rebelling. I bet most Chinese want freedom, and if enough people protest, there will be either another Tainanmen Square(where China will get SEVERELY criticized) or Chinese Communists will start giving in. It all takes little steps, one at a time.

louie

No Subject

the function of government is to govern the poeple in its district. once we, human being, exist, there are rules we creat to contol outselve and regulate the live better off.... let s back to the dynasties in the old china, we could preceive that war is peace. for example, in Qin dymasty, the king created the war to unify the contry from six different pieces of contries, because of that, the wars frequently occured during those contries now were over. such a war did bring people peace. <br>for me, i personaly believe that reality exsits in our mind. like when u lie and lie, then the lie is becoming the truth in your life, maybe u though people dont know that i am lying, but in their eyes that is truth. u could alter the truth to make you life better. so does the government .... i believe 1% what i see 49% what i hear, and the rest i think.. circumstantial evident is the best judgement, isnt it......

Unregistered

No Subject

Who controls the American press? Who lobbies Washington? China is not so different than the US o f A.

August West

No Subject

Oceania is US and England. According to Orwell China is Eastasia. Orwell didn't write 1984 about the future, he wrote it about the present; which was 1948. He just switched the numbers around. Orwell talks all about the differences between Eastasia and Oceania in the war is peace chapter. For a better example of Oceania, though you have good points, you should look to the United States and England, whom Orwell was writing about in the first place.

Unregistered

No Subject

Nowadays China has nothing to do with 1984 at all. People there are free and well off as never before in Chinese history. <br><br>This can be well proven by the fact that book "1984" is sold in bookstores and even " Animal Farm " is stageplayed.<br><br>I was born in Beijing and live there 50 years till now. I witness all the change taken place in China and in Communist party itself which has nothing to do with communism any longer.<br><br>"The communist mainland China is almost exactly like Oceania just no telescreens" was true only for China before 1976 when Cultural Revolution was over.<br><br>Isar <br>

Larry

No Subject

It is not just China were the people don't deal with the politics of Newspeak and thought control. What is PC (politically correct) today except Newspeak, defined by those who believe in their own political correctness. <br><br>Use a racial invective on any college campus in America or on TV and you will be lucky to survive the onslaught of those who believe that their way of thinking gives them the right to control and change the thoughts of others....<br><br>Freedom MUST protect the racist, the bigot, the odd, the uncoventional, the rebel in our midst equally. Unfortunately, today, few remember that what Freedom really is because they have become victims of Newspeak..... <br><br>I'm a victim, I'm offended... are cries of those who wish to control others Freedoms.

Wendy

I'm from China

People just understand what they familiar with.<br><br>When I read 1984, I think it is against communism and sarcastic communistic society, such as China. I¡¯m not along; many other Chinese students got the same feeling. But I found that not all the people relate 1984 to communism, a lot of people from US think about the situation in America. "Homeland Security Act" is what they think the worst thing threatening their freedom.<br>

KyndredKaty

Ah.

I did a critique of 1984 for a current events class. And I included China as an example of countries that were similar to those in 1984. I suppose that if you're actually in/from China, Freeman, and you're not telling us a fib about the country...then it's a good thing that I put China on there as an example.

Freeman

China is like Oceania without telescreens

A chilling fiction with a tragic ending, but in 1948 Orwell had already foreseen that what a totalitarian could bring to our society with the most damaging effect on people's mind, and how personal freedom could be striped away if we do not protect it for ourselves.<br><br>The communist mainland China is almost exactly like Oceania just no telescreens. Nowadays the majority of people living in Chine have become totally disinterested in politics, but merely surviving.<br><br>As a Chinese who was born in China, I wish more Chinese people could read books like 1984. 'If there is hope, it lies in the proles.'

True, I agree with you.
    Oh, and Josh,

DON'T BE RACIST!!!!!