Thread: Moderators should moderate

Moderators should moderate

Two days and 20 full pages of spam in the General Literature forum and climbing as a write.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    This spam is very powerfull, E. Right now there are 3 suspicious "Users" together with me in the forum. I suspect it is a kind of spam that once in the forum methamorphoses itself.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Yes, one or two Indian students discover how easy it is to write a Python script to poo all over an internet forum. When I was out of work, I wrote a script to open up my Universal Credit account, because I was slightly fed up with all the buttons I had to press and text boxes I had to fill in to get to the page where I recorded my job applications. Still, other internet forums seem better protected, or at least moderated. My other favourite forum, cyclechat.net does not have this problem. That website has a greater footfall, and I expect more voluntary moderators, who will shut you down with extreme prejudice.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

A SOLUTION TO THE CURRENT SPAMBOT PROBLEM (just in case the mods are hiding because they don't know what to do about it).

Since only the General Literature forum is affected, lock or otherwise disable that forum (only). If you want to move some of the threads there to other forums, then fine. Otherwise just archive them or leave 'em in the locked forum. Maybe later you can figure out how to kill the bots, but in the meantime the What's New and Recent New Posts//NewThreads functions will no longer be spammed up. WORTH A TRY?
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 08-14-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekimhtims View Post
    Two days and 20 full pages of spam in the General Literature forum and climbing as a write.
    Its probably you.
    SELECTED SHORT STORIES
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...-short-stories

"I will get right on that soon as I am the emporer of the solar system."

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Like Danik I check the bottom left upon entering the site on "Currently Active Users."

There have been instances of users with code names the same as the spammer miscreants

I can onlyguess this version of VBuletin does not allow the helpful one click/ban and the mods have the handful, those who are left and have time to check here time on, time not. They probally can impose a registration for new users, but they probally do not have money to update anything which would prevent those bots with more efficience.
    #foratemer

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    There is a capcha test, you have to make, when researching in the forum, if you are not logged in. It would be a nuisance to prove that you are not a robot every time you enter the forum, but this flood is a greater nuisance. It is completing almost a week now.
    But if capcha, please a reasonable one, big images like in the research capcha and not five minutes of them: no tiny dark images, where you more guess than see, cars, traffic lights and so on.
    thanks
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    I can onlyguess this version of VBuletin does not allow the helpful one click/ban and the mods have the handful, those who are left and have time to check here time on, time not. They probally can impose a registration for new users, but they probally do not have money to update anything which would prevent those bots with more efficience.
    Well, it would be nice if one of the suffering dears would show the leadership to come and talk about the situation. Ignoring the site users like this just seems so contemptuous of us. Jeez, this place is beginning to remind me of a Beckett play. Actually, what it reminds me of is The War of the Worlds, with the spambots the tripods and the mods the ineffectual human defenses. C'MON THUNDERCHILD!

An anthropologist would probably say I am resorting to witch hunting, but I wonder if this isn't all the work of that guy who left in a huff last month. You know, the guy who said he was leaving then got angrier and angrier every time he came back and nobody cared. He was angry enough for some kind of revenge, but even so, I doubt it's him. We've been through international spam storms before. I am beginning to suspect that the difference is that this time the mods (if they even know it's going on) just can't bring themselves to give a darn. I'D LOVE TO BE WRONG, THOUGH. FEEL FREE TO SHOW UP AND TELL US OTHERWISE.

Do you think between the bots and the 522 errors that this is the end of LitNet? The Botpocalypse? That would be a shame, but on the other hand it would be cool to have been among the faithful remnant who saw it. Plus, no more Say the Next Word Game.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    He / she / it is one very sick individual hiding behind a keyboard.

I've bumped him twice this morning, but he is lurking out there countering every time.

Sad. is it not?