Thread: Bread and Butter Pudding De Rigueur.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

Bread and Butter Pudding De Rigueur.

De Rigueur Bread & Butter Pudding

I was reminded at the Taipei Airport Hotel lunch buffet today of the international proliferation of the dish “bread and butter pudding.” It is actually an encouraging development, that at this moment in time when we are besieged by; MacDonald’s, KFC, Uber Eats and other fast food outlets, that occasionally the odd seam of culinary gold is rediscovered.

I will bore the pants off you now by explaining that just after the Second World War in Britain when food was scarce, our mums used to make it as the main dessert to use up any stale bread. May she forgive me in heaven, when I elaborate that she made great trays of the stuff with aforesaid bread and currents. It was moist, cut in slices, served regular with a bit of milk, and rumour had it, that it was used as ballast in the Royal Navy.
    Many years later, Michael Caine the actor, and also a Londoner like myself with a humble upbringing, was staying at his usual abode in the extremely posh and expensive Dorchester Hotel where Anton Mosimann OBE, DL had been the Swiss Maitre Chef des Cuisines for thirteen years, during which time its restaurant achieved a rating of two stars in the Michelin Guide.

Apparently on that occasion Mr Caine explained that although he appreciated all the exotic rich sauce dishes of Continental Europe served in the hotel, he really would appreciate if Anton could try his skills in making “bread and butter pudding like Mum used to make.” The chef obliged. The result was a lighter, creamier version that became so popular, that it soon became a Dorchester staple.

Many five-star hotels have latched onto this trend, and I now find myself judging such establishments based on their bread and butter pudding. The results so far are gold to The Peninsular Bangkok, silver to The Caravelle in Saigon and bronze to the Novetel in Taipei.

Finally not one to hide my light under a bushel, I have tried myself in cooking different versions with some success; notably with: cream, a dash of rum, chocolate chips, even baked marmalade on the top of triangular upright bread slices.

There you have it. All I have to decide now, is which section of Literature Network Forums to post on.

Closed
    I'm not sure if that's the same as our bread pudding, found in the American Deep South and flavored with whiskey rather than rum. Having bread pudding whenever I wanted it was one of the best parts of living in New Orleans back in the day (as with Taipei, it wasn't the humidity). I'm sure TonyWalt can attest to its Elysian splendors.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Delightful story, I'm afraid my comment is more culinary then literary.
    We have also our bread pudding here in Brazil, also made for using stale bread. It is very popular but more popular is the condensed milk pudding topped with caramel sauce which is a kind of national dessert.

My mother used to make a German version of bread pudding called "Beggar", with stale bread and apples and topped with buttered toast which is absolutely delicious.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Hi Danik

Sounds delicious, especially "Begger." Amazing the dishes to save waste that our mothers used to concoct. Condensed milk for us was of course a treat, and our other staple serving on Monday's was "Bubble & Squeek," frying up the beef & veg left over from the Sunday roast.

Don't worry about your response not being literary. I told one idiot the other day to bugger off after they posted about bingo.

You might notice a tad of internecine warfare at the moment on the forum, but I personally believe some of the abuses need addressing.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    You might notice a tad of internecine warfare at the moment on the forum, but I personally believe some of the abuses need addressing.
    Armistice signed, M. All you need is love.

Blog Entries
    If you say so Oh Wise One, but I was just gearing up.

You know how we Brits, ( especially those of Irish descent) relish a bit of a Barny!!!!

Closed
    M: To everything there is a season. Or to be less Biblical, speak softly and carry a big stick.

Danik: Did you ever think of starting a German culture thread on LitNet? There is so much to discuss (literature, music, philosophy) and you could add touches like the above. Anyway, it's food for thought.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 08-04-2019 at 06:55 AM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your interesting suggestion, PB. Actually these days,

Thanks for your interesting suggestion, but not living in Germany, I don´t know how much I could contribute. Anyway I´ll think about it.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row