Thread: de Villefort confusion

de Villefort confusion

I am confused. In chapter XLV, The Vendetta, the Count of Monte Cristo forces his steward, Bertuccio, to describe how he killed M. de Villefort. I was a bit surprised about that, because I thought the Count would have wanted to do that himself. However, in chapter XLIX, Ideology, de Villefort visits the count at him home to thank him for saving his wife and son. So, were there two de Villeforts?
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's ages that I read the book, but there is a paralytic father and a son of Gerard de Villefort. In the English Wikipedia article you have a graphic showing how the characters relate each other.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Wikipedia article with family trees and so on:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Count_of_Monte_Cristo

By the way, how many characters commit suicide in the novel. I wonder if that was usual at the time.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Haven't got to the suicides yet.

In chapter 63 Bertuccio is mightily discombobulated because he recognises Mme Villefort, who he thought had been murdered, then recognises M. de Villefort, who he thought he had murdered himself. Monte Cristo says he must have stabbed him through the wrong ribs, or else just dreamt it up. What's going on here? It reads like Alexandre Dumas decided to change his plot after a previous chapter had already gone to print. I assume the story was serialized in magazine format first. Maybe this will all be resolved later on. iirc, one of the guests that Bertuccio serves is a young man called Benedetto, who was the baby Bertuccio saved after he thought he had murdered de Villefort. He and his sister-in-law brought him up as their own son, but he was a very bad lad. I think it's the same character, but I continue to be confused.
    Last edited by kev67; 07-31-2019 at 05:48 AM.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.

Double post.
    Last edited by kev67; 07-31-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    It's ages that I read the book, but there is a paralytic father and a son of Gerard de Villefort. In the English Wikipedia article you have a graphic showing how the characters relate each other.
    The grandfather's name was M. Noirtier. I don't know why he does not have the same surname as his son, de Villefort.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    The grandfather's name was M. Noirtier. I don't know why he does not have the same surname as his son, de Villefort.
    European genealogical weirdness is really not my thing (and the only version of The Count of Monte Cristo I've ever read was the one in my elementary school French text), but could it have been that the family was not ennobled (that is, given the title de Villefort) until the father's generation?

Chapter 68 explains what happened. Bertuccio bungled the job. So, it wasn't just a big plot hole.