Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: Do you write?

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Belo Horizonte- Brasil
    Posts
    3,279
    Well, I write for living (from content for social media to essays, relatories and journalistic stuff for webside of the group I work - but I am no journalist and I claim fake news if someone say I am), also movie reviews and essays for a guy (the website just turned into a facebook page in the end, but still get the invitations for those pre-release exhbititions, but who doesnt those days?). As side note, had some poems and short stories published in anthologies (or alternative "medium" like in candy wrapping papper) and a Graphic Novel with my script was publish a few years ago. And an edition of Benito Cereno by Melville was printed with my preface, but maybe that does not count much as the whole idea of re-publishing it was mine in first place...
    #foratemer

  2. #17
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    Candy wrapping paper is an interesting medium. Perhaps I could get my Civil War book on that paper they give you in a shoebox. Candy paper seems better for poems and aphorisms. Then again, you'd need a lot of shoes. I may have to resort to grocery bags. ;-)

    It doesn't surprise me you write for a living, JC. How long at a time can you write well? It sounds like you set your own deadlines, which must be convenient. Do you work with an editor?

  3. #18
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,442
    .......
    Last edited by cacian; 06-29-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  4. #19
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,442
    I write to take my mind of things but also to make a mark on something or someone in a good way.
    Words are the medium to sane thinking and living they are the gateway to betterment and improvement when used sparingly and correctly. I have this belief they do fire back when abused and used in an inappropriate way. Trust.
    Words are free and never complain in fact they come when you least expect it and show things you never thought you would.
    They are the must have full package to any adventures of thoughts.
    That is my take on it.
    Last edited by cacian; 06-29-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  5. #20
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Words are free and never complain in fact they come when you least expect it and show things you never thought you would.
    That's a good way of putting it, Cacian. I see words as a kind of art people make from thoughts, and thought as messages from realms largely uncharted. We have to organize thoughts anyway, or we would lack, as you say, "sane thinking"; but converting thoughts to words and words to art means that thoughts can be meaningfully shared between individuals and even follow separate trajectories from one to another. That's why reading is such a miracle. It allows you to touch the mind of another human being--even one long dead.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-01-2019 at 01:08 PM.

  6. #21
    I write small children's stories. I have two small children and this is my main audience) I love to read and sometimes I use characters and their character from books I read. For example, I used the image of the Great Gatsby in a small instructive essay for my children, which you can find here https://samples.edusson.com/the-great-gatsby/. It seems to me that this is a great way to quickly create the right character unless of course it is plagiarized. I do not sell my stories, so it seems to me that this can be done)
    Last edited by Charlie Guerard; 07-22-2019 at 06:33 AM.

  7. #22
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Guerard View Post
    I write small children's stories. I have two small children and this is my main audience)
    I think it is a wonderful thing to write for family members--although also a miracle that a parent would have the energy for it! If you don't mind my asking, do you improvise stories? Or maybe use folktales or stories you heard from your parents as a child? In any case, it is fine thing you are doing.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    I think it is a wonderful thing to write for family members--although also a miracle that a parent would have the energy for it! If you don't mind my asking, do you improvise stories? Or maybe use folktales or stories you heard from your parents as a child? In any case, it is fine thing you are doing.
    I'm trying to combine the modern interests of children and classic stories) For example, the Avengers instead of three piglets Of course, I'm joking about the avengers, but I think you understand the meaning

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Belo Horizonte- Brasil
    Posts
    3,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Candy wrapping paper is an interesting medium. Perhaps I could get my Civil War book on that paper they give you in a shoebox. Candy paper seems better for poems and aphorisms. Then again, you'd need a lot of shoes. I may have to resort to grocery bags. ;-)
    Sadly, I never got one of the papers myself. It was a kind of social project to promote literacy, but in another state. A few years they also used one of my poems (alongside many others) for a game to be used in schools. Now they would distrubte the candies with the poems (along wiht many others) to kids in celebration to a Saint's day (actually two, Cosmas and Damian), on their day it is a costume to distribute a lot of candies to kids.

    It doesn't surprise me you write for a living, JC. How long at a time can you write well? It sounds like you set your own deadlines, which must be convenient. Do you work with an editor?
    Daily work, no editor. Web publishing must be fast, so I cannot wait much for someone else to look after the texts, even in my previous job, when there were actually someone with skills to revise the text. Now, it is me and another woman, she has no skill to do it. Of course, all the reading - i kind became a fake journalist - demands a lot more reading and research. For my own texts, I have no discipline, I write when I want, usually weekends or at home, when I am not reading or tired. Since, most of stuff are short, I do not need to stay put hours and hours like in academic research and the deadlines are mine (albeit, I must fill some weekly quota for work).
    #foratemer

  10. #25
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Guerard View Post
    I'm trying to combine the modern interests of children and classic stories) For example, the Avengers instead of three piglets Of course, I'm joking about the avengers, but I think you understand the meaning
    Yes, it sounds very sweet and a good way to combine culturally meaningful material with things kids like. Everyone wants to be J. K. Rowling these days--just doing the same thing over and over again. It's nice to hear about someone using her own imagination. I'm sure your kids are very lucky.

  11. #26
    Ecurb Ecurb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    2,331
    Like Charlie, I write stories for my family (I have two grandsons, ages one and three). My grandsons also insist that I tell them stories constantly (I babysit them every week and my story ideas are running thin). I have also written professionally writing: advertising, magazine articles (you'd be shocked how many magazines have published my articles without any editing, when the articles were puff pieces for my company's products), and writing and editing a company magazine.

    I seldom post my stories here, because they are designed for young children and because I don't know how to incorporate my illustrations on LitNet. However, as an example, I'll post one in the short story section now.

  12. #27
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    Daily work, no editor. Web publishing must be fast, so I cannot wait much for someone else to look after the texts, even in my previous job, when there were actually someone with skills to revise the text. Now, it is me and another woman, she has no skill to do it. Of course, all the reading - i kind became a fake journalist - demands a lot more reading and research. For my own texts, I have no discipline, I write when I want, usually weekends or at home, when I am not reading or tired. Since, most of stuff are short, I do not need to stay put hours and hours like in academic research and the deadlines are mine (albeit, I must fill some weekly quota for work).
    My wife edits my material. She's not a native English speaker but she publishes in her field--in HIGHLY technological prose, though, so we have many aesthetic quibbles. But at least she catches my dumb mistakes. My discipline is too high, which may be why I burn out by noon (or maybe I'm just getting old). I guess I've been goofing off a little lately. I'll probably have to leave the site again before too long and go back to the 19th century full time. I suppose that makes me a fake war correspondent.

  13. #28
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    I seldom post my stories here, because they are designed for young children and because I don't know how to incorporate my illustrations on LitNet. However, as an example, I'll post one in the short story section now.
    Oh, I'm looking forward to reading it, Ecurb. Writing for family members is an overlooked--genre? My father and I exchange our book reviews over email and all my writing is destined for my nephews and nieces--including a great nephew who, if he lives as long as my dad, will see the 22nd century. His children can publish it. People will want to know how we cavemen lived by then.

  14. #29
    Registered User Secret III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Somewhere in this world.
    Posts
    80
    Blog Entries
    1
    So my reply that I just spent 10 minutes writing was sent to a moderator for approval. I'm guessing that after (x) amount of words your post becomes a story and needs approval? I'm wondering why the moderators chose to change this forum in such a way. This makes me not want to post.
    SELECTED SHORT STORIES
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...-short-stories

    "I will get right on that soon as I am the emporer of the solar system."

  15. #30
    On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Beyond nowhere
    Posts
    6,107
    I also noticed that there has been more moderation of late.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why Do i Write
    By The Walker in forum General Writing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 04:10 AM
  3. what drives you to write the way you write?
    By cacian in forum General Writing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 03:53 AM
  4. how often do they write your name?
    By skyMoon_sparrow in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 11:08 AM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-13-2005, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •