Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you write?

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret III View Post
    So my reply that I just spent 10 minutes writing was sent to a moderator for approval. I'm guessing that after (x) amount of words your post becomes a story and needs approval? I'm wondering why the moderators chose to change this forum in such a way. This makes me not want to post.
    I've never heard of any such requirement, but then I don't post short stories here. Maybe some of those who do can answer your question, But the person you really need to talk to is Logos, who has been on the site lately and who is pretty good about responding to private messages, at least in my experience. Go to your private message box (just click on notifications at the top of the page) and contact her that way. Hopefully you can just post them. Do the rest of you submit them for approval first?

I'm looking forward to reading your story in any case.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    double post
    Last edited by Secret III; 08-01-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    I've never heard of any such requirement, but then I don't post short stories here. Maybe some of those who do can answer your question, But the person you really need to talk to is Logos, who has been on the site lately and who is pretty good about responding to private messages, at least in my experience. Go to your private message box (just click on notifications at the top of the page) and contact her that way. Hopefully you can just post them. Do the rest of you submit them for approval first?

I'm looking forward to reading your story in any case.
    Fair enough. I guess that counting on Logos reading my post without directly issuing it to her is wishful thinking. Perhaps she can lift that restriction for me. I think that I have proven myself a non-troublemaker when it comes to posting short stories.

Closed
    Fair enough. I guess that counting on Logos reading my post without directly issuing it to her is wishful thinking. Perhaps she can lift that restriction for me. I think that I have proven myself a non-troublemaker when it comes to posting short stories.
    No, LitNet's a bit like the island in Lord of the Flies these days. But Logos is usually pretty timely in getting back to you. Just explain the situation to her. Maybe it will work out. Good luck.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, LitNet's a bit like the island in Lord of the Flies these days. But Logos is usually pretty timely in getting back to you. Just explain the situation to her. Maybe it will work out. Good luck.
    Looks like there were a lot of technical malfunctions with the site and thats what ran off the membership. In 2016 the site was quite active.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Do you write? What and when do you write? Why do you write? Who do you see as your audience? How long can you write before reaching a point of diminishing returns (also known as crappy results)?

These days I write every morning from about seven o'clock to about about ten thirty. Then I have a snack and go back to writing until around about noon. But after about 11:00, I'm kidding myself. By then I'm too spacy to have creativity or critical faculty or even good judgement about what I've written so far. Anything I write in the afternoon will inevitably have to be rewritten the next morning, wasting that three to four hour sweet spot.

I write non-fiction based on obscure primary sources. I never post this online. I'll probably self publish some eventually. The rest I intend to leave to my family. I write serious poetry only when the muse comes, and we're both kind of busy these days. But I love to write doggerel. I post it here all the time. I'm too old to worry about professionally publishing my prose (or anything else). I consider that a blessing.

Anyone else want to answer my questions? Come on, take the Pompey Bum challenge.
    You know, being an ameteur at this (see, I don't even know how to spell!) it's nice to see this thread. A lot of artists didn't go to art school or didn't go to art class and whatnot and so they don't relate to being social with other artists, like many of the professionals do. I firmly believe your daily habits will affect the quality and depth of your output. Just like anything else in life. Plenty of sleep and eating a balanced meal will set you up for a good session of art-making or in this case, writing. Most of us need a clear mind and a lot of privacy and comfort to get into prime creative mode.

Personally I make my best stuff late at night when everyone is asleep. And usually theres a "sweet spot" of creativity and I can actually feel all cylinders firing at full speed. Some people like to be intoxicated or whatnot and many times that was my path but getting screwed up isn't necessary. Inspiring unconventionally new pespectives, but not necessary.

Another very important piece of advice for those artists stuck in a social trap. You may find that certain people around you will try influencing your creations in a plethora of ways. They might try being subtle, they might stage elaborate setups with a cast of twenty incognito actors. They might do anything they can to put their thumbprint on your stuff. If so, then your best course of action is not to encourage them by letting them try and indirectly give you "ideas". The second you let that happen they'll take it as far as they can. So, don't use your life or what happens in your life as the basis of your stories. I don't. You shouldn't either.
    Last edited by Secret III; 08-10-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Posting to see if this forum is working again...

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by DS Stone View Post
    Posting to see if this forum is working again...

Sarcasm? Just kidding. As you can see, it's never been worse. That probably bodes ill for LitNet. It's helping my writing, though, since it makes for fewer distractions. Keep checking in is all I can tell you. That's what I'll be doing.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 08-14-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Closed

P

You know, being an ameteur at this (see, I don't even know how to spell!) it's nice to see this thread. A lot of artists didn't go to art school or didn't go to art class and whatnot and so they don't relate to being social with other artists, like many of the professionals do. I firmly believe your daily habits will affect the quality and depth of your output. Just like anything else in life. Plenty of sleep and eating a balanced meal will set you up for a good session of art-making or in this case, writing. Most of us need a clear mind and a lot of privacy and comfort to get into prime creative mode.

Personally I make my best stuff late at night when everyone is asleep. And usually theres a "sweet spot" of creativity and I can actually feel all cylinders firing at full speed. Some people like to be intoxicated or whatnot and many times that was my path but getting screwed up isn't necessary. Inspiring unconventionally new pespectives, but not necessary.

Another very important piece of advice for those artists stuck in a social trap. You may find that certain people around you will try influencing your creations in a plethora of ways. They might try being subtle, they might stage elaborate setups with a cast of twenty incognito actors. They might do anything they can to put their thumbprint on your stuff. If so, then your best course of action is not to encourage them by letting them try and indirectly give you "ideas". The second you let that happen they'll take it as far as they can. So, don't use your life or what happens in your life as the basis of your stories. I don't. You shouldn't either.
    I know about the sweet spot and have to manage my morning routine around it. It's not that I feel the cylinders/synapses firing; it's just that everything is so effortless for those few hours. The right choices about language and imagery just come to me. But if I work past it, I have to waste time rewriting Of my work the next morning. If you are younger than me (I'm middle aged), your good period is probably longer than mine. Make hay while the sun shines. I would also recommend against alcohol or drugs other than caffeine. I even suspect the large amount of coffee I drink in the morning may be a reason my noggin won't work right after around 11:00. In any case, don't fall for the romantic image of the hard-drinking/drugging writer. It's mostly a crock of sh*t.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know about the sweet spot and have to manage my morning routine around it. It's not that I feel the cylinders/synapses firing; it's just that everything is so effortless for those few hours. The right choices about language and imagery just come to me. But if I work past it, I have to waste time rewriting Of my work the next morning. If you are younger than me (I'm middle aged), your good period is probably longer than mine. Make hay while the sun shines. I would also recommend against alcohol or drugs other than caffeine. I even suspect the large amount of coffee I drink in the morning may be a reason my noggin won't work right after around 11:00. In any case, don't fall for the romantic image of the hard-drinking/drugging writer. It's mostly a crock of sh*t.
    My "sweet spot" hasn't seemed to change either ever since I was a teen. Its always been like 12am to 4am I do my best work, or beyond that, have my best time (like at a party with friends). The only difference is that I cant stay up for three days straight anymore without getting extra sluggish for a couple days following. I do tire out slightly quicker than I did 20 years ago but I guess I am lucky because compared to most people my age I am in tip top shape and on a physical level I could outperform most average 20 year olds. But yeah, age is going to start affecting you no matter how physically great you are.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Another thing is the privacy discrepany. If say, I spend 10 hours writing something and someone takes a peek at it, no matter how good it is I will discontinue it and throw it away. During the creation of something if I cannot be the sole and only person that observes it from inception to finish it is worthless garbage and so far, despite all my efforts on this 3rd round of stories I have had to throw 7 away forever. I wish I had the respect and consideration that everyone else has for their privacy.

And I will, even if it was the greatest thing ever written I will throw it away. Privacy first.

Did I personally show it to you from my hands to your hands? Did I say, "Hey, have a look at this?" and look you in the eyes with a smile? If not, you weren't invited and you are not a part of the creative process, stranger.
    Last edited by Secret III; 08-19-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Closed
    I guess I know what you mean, but my solution is just not to show people my work. I have hundreds of pages I peck at and change all the time. My family can have it when I'm gone. I seldom post anything real here except for book reviews. A young poet got his feelings a little hurt by some fairly constructive criticism of mine. He wanted to read my poetry to see whether I practiced what I preach. I managed to turn up some by digging around the old site threads. It made me realize how little serious work I'd ever put online. But it wouldn't make me stop working on something just because someone else had seen it. I try--I actually do try sometimes--but I just can't bring myself to care that much what someone thinks about my writing or about me.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 08-19-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I guess I know what you mean, but my solution is just not to show people my work. I have hundreds of pages I peck at and change all the time. My family can have it when I'm gone. I seldom post anything real here except for book reviews. A young poet (not ShadowLight, btw) got his feelings a little hurt by some fairly constructive criticism. He or she wanted to see my poetry to see whether I practiced what I preach. I managed to turn up some by digging around the site, but it made me realize how little serious work I'd ever put online. But it wouldn't make me stop working on something just because someone else had seen it. I try--I actually do try sometimes--but I just can't bring myself to care that much what someone else thinks. Not about my writing. Not about me.
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with sharing things I do with family and friends. I've given recorded music to family and friends that I made on mix tapes some years ago, stuff I wouldn't put out there to the public, and some things I wrote as well including a few stories but its not cool when people you dont know try and hack your emails and your phone and break into your storage and more in the attempt to get a look at or take what you have created. That aint cool at all. And you know, Im not famous or anything and I dont get paid to do this, so why should I have to deal with that sort of disrespect to my privacy and property?
    Last edited by Secret III; 08-19-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    LOL... well, to be wordily technical its not cool either if people you do know hack your emails and search your personal belongings. Its not really cool regardless of who they are.
    Last edited by Secret III; 08-19-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Closed
    Hasn't been a problem for me. No one else is interested, which is the way I like it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast