Thread: Characters that Celebrate being Different

Blog Entries

Characters that Celebrate being Different

This is a trend I notice quite a lot in books and I find it somewhat irksome. It does tend to commonly appear in fantasy books but it occurs in various other genres as well. The gist is the protagonist of the story will discover that s/he is some how different from everyone else. Maybe they discover they have some magical power, or come from a family who lives a unique/alternative lifestyle, or inherited a particular ability or skill from a parent/ancestor. During the course of the majority of the book they resent and bemoan the fact that they are different and with they could be "normal" and just like everyone else.

I am interested in books of any genre in which the main character embraces and celebrates being different instead of treating it like an unfair burden.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Closed
    I don't know if this what you're looking for, DM, but the narrator of Fiona Mozley's Elmet is a gender fluid-ish boy whose father, a bare knuckle boxer, and tough-gal sister accept and love him without really thinking about it. There's no sense of resentment or victimhood. But it's a heavy (meaning violent) novel that might not be your thing. It's ultimately a bit upsetting. There's definitely no sense of celebration. I reviewed it on the book review thread if you want more information.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 05-29-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    That sounds like it could be right up my alley. I am good with dark/disturbing/violent.

Perhaps my request is a little open ended but I just got tired of books which state something to the effect of s/he was born with/as (insert unique trait) and wished s/he had a normal life just like everyone else.

The book does not have to be happy I just want something where the author does not stigmatize being different by making the character hate that part of themselves.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I tend towards authors who needn't point out anything "different" about themselves, but rather who react to life's vicissitudes in a manner of which I can sympathize. It has less to do with the thing to which they are responding and more with the manner in which they respond. The manner which with one respond seems to have little to do with the specifics of any difference an individual might have.

Well, I want to say more, but I've become a little befuddled by the Pinot. Would love to come back later after other comments.

Virginia Woolf's Orlando springs to mind - the character changes, but gets on with life.

Allen Ginsbeg's Howl & Other Poems. Allen accepts his sexuality and goes with it. It is a theme through-out his work. Certainly take a look at his poems Howl and America.

Midnght's Children by Salman Rushdie - characters have powers, but get into trouble very quickly.

Life of Pi - character gets on with things in a positive manner whilst the planet insists on making life difficult for him

Randle Patrick McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin