Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which is your favorite Dickens novel?

Dickens is about his characters. They are rather fantastic. I really love the Mr. Micawber from David Copperfield. He is a perfect example of people just trying to work hard with what they have. His bits crack me up every time.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMage7790 View Post
    My favorite novel is David Copperfield because of how well the characters are created, but I am also thinking I need to reread Tale of Two Cities again. Maybe when I find sometime...Though I was planning on reading the Iliad next because I know the story and had to read the Odyssey at school long ago so I really should start at the beginning of this series of conflict.
    It was Dickens' favourite as well. I get the impression that it used to be thought Dickens' masterpiece - I had an uncle who was named David after the hero.

Little Dorrit as good as Bleak House, but if you would only read one, make it Bleak House not only for the characters (but don't forget Mrs Jellaby and Mr Chadband) but for the atmosphere - fog bound legal London and rain swept Chesney Wold, Miss Flite's birds, the graveyard, Tom All Alones.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

In "The Living Authors of England" by Thomas Powell, Powell charges that Dickens plagiarized "David Copperfield" from "The Career of Puffer Hopkins" by American author Cornelius Mathews. Dickens smeared Powell in response, destroying his career; but I think it was an accurate charge. Dickens denied his affair with actress Ellen Ternen in his "Violated Letter" with very much the same hubris, so that appears to have been his M.O.

Ah yes, first deny the allegations then shoot the alligators.

Hello ssake. Welcome to the site. The claim is interesting, but to be fair, being accused of one thing and denying it and being accused of something else and denying it hardly constitutes culpability. And plagiarism is something rather specific. Any parts that were lifted should be immediately apparent. Are you able to produce these?
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Ah yes, first deny the allegations then shoot the alligators.

Hello ssake. Welcome to the site. The claim is interesting, but to be fair, being accused of one thing and denying it and being accused of something else and denying it hardly constitutes culpability. And plagiarism is something rather specific. Any parts that were lifted should be immediately apparent. Are you able to produce these?
    It also seems that Powell was a confirmed con-artist who had to flee the UK to avoid imprisonment for fraud.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234