Thread: Moving a Library of Books across the US

Moving a Library of Books across the US

Hey Guys!
    As book lovers, I was hoping ya'll have some advice. I'm moving a library of 3,500 books across the country. We have professionals movers to help load the truck, and I'm only using small boxes, 12 x 12 x 12, 16 x 14 x 10, 18 x 12 x 10, Different small sizes so they don't get heavy and they fit my oversized books. But I'm trying to guesstimate the number of boxes it would need. If anybody has any helpful advice, it would much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last time I moved I used "bankers boxes" and was really happy with the strength and ability to stack. I set as many books as possible of similar size flat all the way to the top and then pack in others as needed to fill it out as tightly as possible. Filling the box evenly to the top and it being as flat as possible is the key to stacking boxes in the moving van. This of course helps prevent any crushing or bending of the books or boxes. Oversized of a certain size can lay flat in bankers boxes and be stacked, but depending on their size some other box might be needed. Generally three to four bankers boxes can be stack on top of one another if packed tightly enough. Hope that helps.