Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Other hobbies besides reading

Other hobbies besides reading

What other hobbies, besides reading, occupy your time? Feel free to tell us a little bit about them in this thread if you want.

I draw a lot of things on my free time. I also study Nihongo on my own.

Closed
    Both are pretty impressive, CB, especially the language study. My other hobby is genealogy, which dovetails with an interest in historical research.

I love sports. I played ice hockey in college, and played every major American sport (soccer, softball, basketball, football (flag), lacrosse, racket ball, tennis, golf, etc) as an adult. I've gotten too old for most of them (I've had a knee replacement because of my many sports injuries), so now I'm reduced to golf and mountaineering (in which I also participated when I was young).

One point I'd like to make about team sports is how mentally involving they are. I hear TV commentators ramble on about how golf is "90% mental", which is ridiculous. Golf is 90% physical. If you have a great swing, you'll be a good player. However, the physical talents necessary are less obvious than they are in (say) basketball, where if you're 6'9" tall, you have a huge advantage over 99% of people. However, team sports involve far more "intelligence" (if that's the right word) than individual sports, because there are so many more variables to consider --where one's 5 teammates and 6 opponents are in a fast moving game, for example. Team sports are so mentally involving that it is impossible to ruminate about one's problems while participating. This is not the case in golf, running, swimming, or many other individual sports, although the physical effort can improve one's mood.

Mountaineering (as opposed to backpacking and hiking) is also mentally involving. It involves exploration and route-finding (both macro and micro) as well as skill and physical effort. (Of course while you are belaying while your partner climbs, there's plenty of time to get bored or worried.)

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    photography, tennis, running, weightlifting

Chess (just for the humiliation) fishing (I used to shoot but not now) walking (frequently the walks are me being walked long time by dog) piping (mainly slow painful composing followed by the satisfying breakthrough) tree planting ( Save the world 'n aw that) beekeeping (just started that as an alternative to the poultry that I sold)

Cryptic crosswords at which I am pretty poor. reckon I finish under 10% of these. Oh and drinking whisky! That is sporadic but too intense
    Last edited by ennison; 08-05-2019 at 04:31 AM.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ennison View Post
    beekeeping (just started that as an alternative to the poultry that I sold)
    Beekeeping sounds really interesting. It used to be a cottage industry out this way, but it was destroyed "as a thing" globalist shenanigans. Our local honey smells like a bouquet but tastes a little sharp to me. Still, it's hard to complain about honey. I've thought of taking it up on a small scale as a retirement job-- but I guess it depends on where I end up.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 08-05-2019 at 10:31 AM.