Thread: Need some truly amazing recommendations

Need some truly amazing recommendations

I'm searching for fresh, truly worthwhile prose.

Books that have blown me away:
    In Search of Lost Time
    Oblomov
    Middlemarch
    The Good Soldier
    Absalom, Absalom!
    The Runaway Soul
    Moby Dick
    Caryle's History of the French Revolution
    The Golden Bowl
    Essays -- Emerson, Nietzsche, William James

Liked & respected: Tolstoy, Dostoevski, Dickens, Austen, the Brontes, Hardy, Conrad, Nabokov, Calvino, Borges, Marquez, Bernhard, Sebald

Haven't been able to get into most contemporary fiction though, but would like to -- if I can find works I love. Do not generally like minimalism, but I am open to suggestions.

What else might I truly love?
    Last edited by theorange; 02-24-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Have a look at the book list. There's lots of good stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by theorange View Post
    I'm searching for fresh, truly worthwhile prose.

Books that have blown me away:
    In Search of Lost Time
    Oblomov
    Middlemarch
    The Good Soldier
    Absalom, Absalom!
    The Runaway Soul
    Moby Dick
    Caryle's History of the French Revolution
    The Golden Bowl
    Essays -- Emerson, Nietzsche, William James

Liked & respected: Tolstoy, Dostoevski, Dickens, Austen, the Brontes, Hardy, Conrad, Nabokov, Calvino, Borges, Marquez, Bernhard, Sebald

Haven't been able to get into most contemporary fiction though, but would like to -- if I can find works I love. Do not generally like minimalism, but I am open to suggestions.

What else might I truly love?
    I know not whether by contemporary you aim towards what truly does partake to our time, or is just, aesthetically, close to the art generated by our cultural time. Anyway, you might want to have a look at these titles, have you not read them yet, that is:

Julien Gracq - Le Rivage des Syrtes
    Georges Perec - La Vie mode d'emploi
    Raymond Queneau - Exercices de style
    Arno Schmidt - Zettels Traum
    Maurice Blanchot - Le Dernier homme, Le Pas au-delà (special mention to Blanchot, given his mastery use of infinitely varied stylistic devices: hard to find a more accomplished prose stylist, his is just perfect: dense and tortuous, oblique but impeccably crafted sentences, grey and evanescent, a just example of le style triste)
    Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.

Quote Originally Posted by EmptySeraph View Post
    I know not whether by contemporary you aim towards what truly does partake to our time, or is just, aesthetically, close to the art generated by our cultural time. Anyway, you might want to have a look at these titles, have you not read them yet, that is:

Julien Gracq - Le Rivage des Syrtes
    Georges Perec - La Vie mode d'emploi
    Raymond Queneau - Exercices de style
    Arno Schmidt - Zettels Traum
    Maurice Blanchot - Le Dernier homme, Le Pas au-delà (special mention to Blanchot, given his mastery use of infinitely varied stylistic devices: hard to find a more accomplished prose stylist, his is just perfect: dense and tortuous, oblique but impeccably crafted sentences, grey and evanescent, a just example of le style triste)
    Thank you. This is a very interesting list. I will investigate. By contemporary I suppose I meant books published in the last 20-30 years or so...

👑[]D [] []v[] []D👑
    Soldier in The Mist (also called 'Latro in The Mist ') by Gene Wolfe.

Hey theorange, hope you're still checking in on this, but anyhow...

I'd love to recommend to you Alfred Doblin's take on Hamlet, "Tales of a Long Night." Quite a wonderful and touching read.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_a_Long_Night

I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction, but I was quite impressed with Richard Ford's "The Sportswriter," the first work in his Bascombe Novels series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekimhtims View Post
    Hey theorange, hope you're still checking in on this, but anyhow...

I'd love to recommend to you Alfred Doblin's take on Hamlet, "Tales of a Long Night." Quite a wonderful and touching read.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_a_Long_Night

I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction, but I was quite impressed with Richard Ford's "The Sportswriter," the first work in his Bascombe Novels series.
    I am indeed. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by alcala0001 View Post
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alcala0001 View Post
    Thanks.

Please let us know what recommendation you settle on when you accept one (or more) of those offered here. In the meantime I might throw together a little list of other titles for you to consider. But first let me just say "Buddenbrooks."

Here's a few titles that I've read in the last couple years that upon finishing I sort of just stared at the book cover like one stares at the rolling credits of a really good movie once it's over.

Thomas Mann – Buddenbrooks
    Thomas Mann – Doctor Faustus
    Herman Hesse - Narcissus and Goldmund
    Alfred Doblin – Tales of a Long Night
    George Orwell – Keep the Aspidistra Flying
    Mary McCarthy – The Groves of Academe
    Richard Yates – Revolutionary Road
    Paul Bowles – The Sheltering Sky
    Joseph Roth – The Radetzky March
    Herman Broch – The Spell
    Theodor Fontaine - Effi Briest
    Robert Musil - The Man Without Qualities
    Joseph Heller - Something Happened
    Evelyn Waugh - Brideshead Revisited
    Franz Werfel – The Forty Days of Musa Dagh
    Aldous Huxley - Eyeless in Gaza
    Elias Canetti - Auto-de-fe
    Gustave Flaubert - Madam Bovary
    Michel Tournier - The Orge
    Richard Ford - The Sportswriter
    Klaus Mann - Mephisto
    Wyndham Lewis - The Apes of God
    D.H. Lawrence – The Plumed Serpent

Here's a couple non-fictions:
    Stephan Zweig – The World of Yesterday
    Roy Pascal - From Naturalism to Expressionism: German Literature and Society 1880-1918

Quote Originally Posted by Ekimhtims View Post
    Please let us know what recommendation you settle on when you accept one (or more) of those offered here. In the meantime I might throw together a little list of other titles for you to consider. But first let me just say "Buddenbrooks."
    Excellent, thanks! Actually I'm in the middle of Fielding's Tom Jones right now, which is hilarious and just excellent.

You mention essayists, yet don't include George Orwell! Some consider him the greatest essayist in the English language. And his literary criticism is superb. His essay on Dickens, for example, is a masterpiece (and immensely enjoyable). If you like essays, you could also try Hazlitt.

Aldous Huxley is another writer I'd urge you to read. Like Orwell (who he actually taught at Eton!), Huxley was a wonderful essayist, though more wordy and intellectual. For me, Huxley is the essence of urbane, sophisticated intellectualism. And his novels fizz with ideas. They also contain some wonderful dialogue (Timothy Leary once said that Huxley taught him what it means to be a brilliant, witty conversationalist). My personal favourite is 'Crome Yellow', his first novel.

D H Lawrence is missing from your list as well. He divides the room - some worship him, others loathe him. 'Sons and Lovers', 'The Rainbow' and 'Women in Love' are probably his best works. I have heard it argued that 'Women in Love' was the greatest novel written in English in the 20th century, second only to 'Ulysses.'

Oscar Wilde is always worth a look. Like Huxley he is wonderfully urbane and intellectual. He once said that at Oxford he learnt "to play gracefully with ideas," which is a perfect description of his writing.

Evelyn Waugh is another personal favourite. I have never read funnier or more beautiful prose. Oh, and P G Wodehouse. 'Right Ho Jeeves' is a masterpiece: supernaturally beautiful language, wonderful dialogue, and just so funny.

As for more contemporary writers, you could try Edward St Aubyn, especially the Patrick Melrose novels. A few decades from now these will be considered classics.
    Last edited by WICKES; 04-02-2019 at 12:03 PM.