Thread: Latin quotes in books

Latin quotes in books

I am currently reading The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding, written about 1749. It is choc-a-block full of Latin quotes. It is not too bad because they are either translated beneath or in the chapter notes at the end of the book. I am disappointed I rarely understand them. I did three years of Latin at school, although I spent most of those lessons wishing it would end and looking at the clock. The grammar is so horrendous, that even when you recognise all the word stems, if you try to guess the meaning, you guess wrong. I often used to wonder how six-year-old Roman children learnt how to speak it. These days, if a book borrows from a foreign language, it is more likely to be French, German or Spanish, but older books still contain Latin quotes. Despite George Orwell having a preference for simple words and clear language, I noticed he quoted Latin phrases in his early novels. I have toyed with the idea of studying Latin again, but what a waste of effort that would be. Perhaps instead of studying Latin text books I should read a book full of quotes.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Why would it be a waste of effort to be able to read some of the Latin writers in the original?

Quote Originally Posted by ennison View Post
    Why would it be a waste of effort to be able to read some of the Latin writers in the original?
    It takes a lot of time and effort to learn another language, and Latin is quite a difficult one. More difficult than French, German or Italian for example. At the end of it all what could you do with it? Quote Latin to your uncomprehending friends, and make out Latin phrases in old books with about a 50% success rate.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    kev

No need to learn Latin
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    kev

No need to learn Latin, to understand the quotes, I think. Try Google or any other translator for Latin. I supose the old Romans would likewise hate having to learn our modern languages.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row