Thread: literary Feast 2019 Reading Challenge

Blog Entries

literary Feast 2019 Reading Challenge

I came across this online and thought it sounded fun so I decided to post it for anyone else who might want to join in.

Each month is assigned a specific topic and the idea is to read any book of your choosing of any genre that still in someway fits into the given topic for that month.

Here is the list of monthly chosen topics
    (and just to clarify I am not the one who came up with these topics. Here is a link to the original challenge: https://www.aliteraryfeast.com/the-l...ing-challenge/)

January: A book about subject you want to know more about or a hobby you want to pursue

February: A Love Story

March: A Travel Memoir

April: A Book that you purchased more than a year ago and haven't read

May: A Book by or about someone who completely fascinates you

June: A Book By an Author Who Shares Your Last Name

July: A Book that is Being Made into a Movie in 2019

August: A Coming of Age Book

September: A Book that Enhances Your Vocation

October: A Book that Gives You Goosebumps

November: A Book with an Animal as the Main Character

December: A Book About Illness, Death or Grieving

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    As it happens I have three books I am reading for Januaries topic in part because a reading challenge my Library is having coincides in part with the January topic for this challenge.

I am currently reading:

American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee which is about the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone Park

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson; I do not know if I will be able to finance the venture but my partner and I have seriously discussed walking the Appalachian Trail.

The Lost City of Z by David Grann which is about the disappearance of a group of explorers who went in quest of an alleged lost city in the Amazon.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I like these challenges. I'll have to see how many I can put together.

Also, very nice to hear from you again, Dark Muse.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Thank You! I know it has been a wee while.

Blog Entries
    The book I orginally wanted to read for February is still on hold at the library and I cannot guarantee it will get here by this month so I had choose a back up.

I will be reading Serenade by Heather Mckenzie

I do not normally go for fantasy romance ( or romance in general) but I was able to aquire this one for free and it sounded interesting enough for me to give it a try. Plus the romance aspect of it has a dark enough edege to it I might enjoy if if it is not to swoony and over the top.

Blog Entries
    The book I orginally wanted to read for this month just came in yesturday. As noted above I am not a particular fan of romance so for this theme I wanted to choose a book that dealt with the topic of love but not in the expexted romantic way.

I choose to read You by Caroline Kepnes which has a twisted take on love.

Blog Entries
    For March I read Walking the Nile by Levison Wood. It was a fascinating account of a mans journey to literally walk from one end of the Nile to the other.

For April I am reading The People of the Sea by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear

I've read quite a few of the Gears' People books and usually enjoyed them. My favorite by a mile was People of the Lakes, which is pretty much a nonstop chase with a Lord of the Rings inspired plot. It also has a terrific supporting double-act in Green Spider, a Contrary, and Black Skull, a huge warrior with no patience for Green Spider's nonsense.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Yeah I really enjoy the books. Even though they are stand alone I have been reading them in order since I own almost the whole collection. I haven’t gotten to People of the Lakes yet.

Blog Entries
    I have taken some minor liberties with this months theme. Instead of reading a book that focuses on a single individual I am reading a book about a group of individuals I find fascinating.

I am reading She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth by Helen Castor

There is no doubt that Castor is a great Historian she provides a lot of detailed interesting information the problem is that she is lacking in the writing department. The book has as much wit, charm and intrigue as a College text book. Castor tends to just dictate a succession of fact without presenting it in a way that one would find enjoyable to read.