Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annual List of Banished Words 2019

Closed
    There are also lazy internet spellings. I'll confess to the occasional I dunno. When admitting ignorance, it seems reasonable enough to play the part. But I am revolted when prolly is used for probably. You don't talk like a baby, so don't write like a baby. As for R U?, etc., res ipsa loquitur.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Unlike last year when yours fooly posted a seasonally-themed piece of light verse, I've got no Halloween offering for today. That is, if I don't count the message that just came up stating I was "banned." Darn the luck, but I want to tell you that lately our rapidly deteriorating language can be downright frightening.

For instance, a recent newspaper review of a movie about lighthouse keepers stated it "stunk" -- literally because of odor-inducing images. The reviewer's spelling however, was far from sweet-smelling, as he confused the word "reeks" with "wreaks." (Akin to weather reports predicting "peaks" of sun.)

Additionally, there continues to be conflation between the concepts of "suspect" (both as adjective and noun) and "suspicious." Similarly, tv pundits have lately bounced around synonyms for believability. A person can be "credulous," but I don't think the testimony itself-- or any other inanimate object-- could be described that way. Or am I wrong?

But my bitter half and I had to chuckle last night when a commentator remarked about a witness who was "incredibly credible." That's difficult to do, even on Halloween.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    This is the sort of English, up with which, I will not put.

WC.

[QUOTE=MANICHAEAN;1365711]Grab a chair Aunty. Are you comfortable? Then I will begin.

16. “He passed away.” He kicked the bucket.

People tend to say, "He passed," these days, which annoys me a bit.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    "Swap out" for "substitute."
    I have a slight problem with 'substitute'. I cannot remember when you substitute player X whether player X comes on or goes off. I suppose if player X is on the field and you bring on player Y, then player X was substituted by player Y, but player Y was the substitute. There is the Who song 'Substitute' which has the lyric, "I'll substitute you for my mum, at least I'll get my washing done."
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You are joking, of course!
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    This is the sort of English, up with which, I will not put.

WC.

that was Winston Churchill after somebody "called him out" for ending a sentence with a preposition. He said, "This is one pedantry up with which I will not put."

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Correct Aunty.

Top of the class.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12