Thread: The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding

The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding

I am reading The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding, published in 1749. It's good. Fielding has a unique style and he is funny in a sardonic way. Definitely deserves its place.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Blog Entries
    I think it's good too.
    Those were the very early days of the Novel and the genre hadn't settled down. He included stuff that has generally been dropped, and stuff that caught on and is not out of place today. The humour is timeless though. (and laugh out loud funny).
    ay up

It's not like a 19th Century novel, much less a 20th Century. That said, it is funny. The way the narrator intrudes and explains things is something that has fallen out of fashion. You don't get that in modern novels.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.

I wonder if any of the TV and film adaption have scenes of bare breasted women fighting like there are in the book. If not, why not?

I was thinking that part 2 was not as good as part 1, but it is picking up again. I think it is the reintroduction of some of the characters from part 1; they are so good.

Just finished part 2, which was not as good as part 1, but still had its moments. On the historical side, one thing that surprised me was that there were quite a few people who supported the Jacobite cause in England. I thought it was only the Scots who wanted to replace George II (I think) with Bonnie Prince Charlie. Then again, I dare say many English people resented the German transplants and thought the Young Pretender had a better claim to the throne. Squire Western complains about being taxed to fund European wars in part 1 iirc.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    There were English Jacobites and the Young Pretender expected to rise joyfully in his support when he entered England. They didn't and having to as far as Derby decided to withdraw.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1