Thread: An Old Fogey.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

An Old Fogey.

An Old Fogey

I'm not sure at what age I became aware of my advancing years. Perhaps it was the first time a policeman called me "Sir."

Up till then I had been "young whatshisname" or "boy." There is a serpentine stealth in the way age creeps up on you and how you become aware of the little nuances in the way people talk or interact. Examples include that slight assistance getting in or out of a car; the invisible protective hand above your head, the appreciated push in the back to assist in lift off. That is direct caring and is commendable. The more sly are comments like; "watch out for your health,"(Good Lord, are you still breathing?), or "shall I repeat that?" ( Have you a clue what I'm talking about?)

Mentally I still have my marbles, or at least I think I have. The physical decline symptoms on the other hand sometimes involve aspects of black humour. Hair growth accelerates in the most unusual and unexpected locations like nostrils, eyebrows, and back. My white beard grows at three times the rate of my equally white hair. I enter a barbers like the patriarch Moses parting the Dead Sea. I think it's termed "presence."

You can of course play it to an advantage. Dawdle and mumble incoherently in uncomfortable situations. You get away with murder in your dotage. Throw in a bit of hand tremble and dribbling and your in line for an Oscar.

Nubile young ladies find you cute, or if the truth be told, less of a threat. In fact one develops a censorious appreciation of women with a thirty year age difference. But it's not your fault that you can't find any your own age.

Shall I grow old gracefully? Not a chance.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Weeell! One of the advantages of age is that you donīt have to care to much any more, what people think about you.
    A Happy New Year to you!
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    And a Happy New Year to you too Danik. Stay strong.

M.

Blog Entries

Happy New Year!!

Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    And a Happy New Year to you too Danik. Stay strong.

M.
    And a happy happy new year to you both. And I find it true about pretty young things too. It's a whole different interaction than if you were their own age. They play with you eagerly, because you're deemed safe. It's fun to play with a bear trap, but only after it's teeth have worn down.

Always love reading your stuff.

Blog Entries
    Happy 2019 to you too buddy. Stay strong.

M.

Blog Entries
    Ha ha, enjoyed your take on 'old age', gravity also wreaks havoc on us, too, don't forget!
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein