Thread: How do you kill someone that's already dead?

How do you kill someone that's already dead?

Good evening everyone -
    This is my first time ever posting on a short story forum. I was really nervous, but there's a first for everything right?

Cheers!

She lay in bed trying to forget the infinite thoughts that crept into her mind, the thoughts that preached to her broken, mangled heart telling her that she was not good enough, that she would never be good enough. The dark is a dangerous place she thought to herself, not because of monsters or bad guys, but because of her own perpetual prison of doubts and disbelief in herself – she was her own worst enemy.

Silently, she sipped on her wine wishing it was something stronger, harder – something that would make her forget. Forget what she was, what she is and whatever the hell she was supposed to be. She rolled over onto her side and stared out the window into the dead of night, she searched the darkness for a light, no matter how tiny that light may be, she tried so hard to find a reason to fight, but all she saw was a reflection staring back at her with an emptiness in her eyes as deep as the darkest ocean.

The pills sat at the edge of her bedside as they had many nights before silently taunting her. She reached for the bottle and suddenly felt a sense of peace that she had never felt before. She told herself that it would be over soon, there would be no more pain, no more suffering and then just as she was about to give into her own demons, a real life one appeared before her eyes.

She froze as she watched a masked man standing in her bedroom doorway pointing a gun at her helpless body. At first she was scared, but then that dissipated and she smiled – this was exactly what she wanted.

“Why the hell are you smiling? Get on the ground or I’ll shoot you!” His voice was laced with malice and echoed confidence, but his hands told a different story. She could see his hand shaking profusely despite his efforts to hide it.

“You would be doing me a favor,” she whispered as a single tear trickled down her cheek.

Confused he looked at her and uttered, “Wait, you are not scared? You want me to shoot you?”

She looked at him with an almost tenderness in her eyes and said, “I’ve been scared my whole life, but right now, in this moment is most unafraid I have ever been.”

He stood there frozen, speechless and the evil that had once filled his heart for so long suddenly vanished and was replaced with great sorrow for this woman laying on her knees in front of him begging him to end her life instead of spare it.

Slowly, he lowered his gun and he could see the immense disappointment in her eyes when she realized that he was not going to be her angel of death. How do you take the life of someone that has no life left to take? How do you kill someone that’s already dead? You don’t, you save them instead.

Blog Entries
    Firstly, welcome to LitNet, P!
    Secondly, I enjoyed your story very much.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Thank you very much! I am glad you enjoyed it