Thread: Winston's Dilema

Winston's Dilema

Throughout the novel we watch Winston struggle with his personal political and social philosophies that he must constantly conceal to keep his life. He constantly sees his beliefs torn apart by the all-powerful Party. This classic conflict of man versus society takes a toll on Winston's mind as he desperately takes small risks just to have a slight thrill at the expense of possibly his life. We watch Winston resist the control of the Party until the very end of the book when he is ultimately forced to assimilate by torture. He exclaims that living at the mercy of the Party's control is easier. He doesn't understand why he resisted for so long when life is now so easy in this submissive state. My question is if you were given the choice of maintaining your core beliefs, but being opposed by society or assimilating into a willingly ignorant society with your mind is at ease, what would you choose?

Winston constantly questioned himself and his mind. As the novel progressed he started to act on what he was thinking. With this came the relationship with Julia, questioning everything and ultimately meeting with O'Brian which led to his torture in the Ministry of Love. He knew the truth all along while mostly everyone else was being brainwashed by Big Brother and the party. Winston did not maintain his core beliefs in the end. In this position I would always maintain my core beliefs. Why give up the strength of your mind in return for the ignorance of the people? Knowledge and truth will always overpower ease and ignorance even if it isn't evident in the moment.