Thread: Raymond Carver anyone?

Raymond Carver anyone?

I get the feeling he is not so widely known, but in excellent critical standing. He was pegged as a minimalist early on, a tag he did not like. I have probably read about half of his stories, and some are indeed memorable and come back later with haunting images and scenes.

It is also said that he preceded each story by working out certain details in a poem. He did not have a large output, partly attributable to an early death at 50. He was an alcoholic. I have no idea whether the poem Wine was story fodder or not.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the site, Pon.

I had never heard of Raymond Carver until I joined this site. I have read several of his short stories, though no poetry. I really enjoy his style.

By the way, there is a thread in this site on Raymond Carver (actually there are several), but anyhow, here is one link: http://www.online-literature.com/for...Raymond-Carver
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

I remember reading Raymond Carver's "Cathedral" in my Creative Writing Class in College. The story stuck with me, but unfortunately, I never got around to reading more of his work.

I would rate his writing very highly. Visceral, tragic, darkly comic at times. Some of his stories were edited a lot before publication but the originals stand up very well. I would recommend him.