Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Any ABBA Fan?

  1. #1
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,382

    Lightbulb Any ABBA Fan?

    if so what is your favourite of all times?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  2. #2
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,325
    Can you hear the drums Fernando?
    You were young and free, only 17, Fernando.
    In the firelight Fernando,
    Having the time of you life, Fernando.

    Take a chance on me, Fernando.
    You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar.
    Honey, I'm still free, Fernando.
    If you need me, let me know, gonna be around.

    They were closer now Fernando.
    Every hour every minute seemed to last eternally.
    Knowing me, knowing you, Fernando,
    You're in the mood to dance.

    At Waterloo, Fernando,
    The roar of guns and cannons almost made me cry.
    Digging the dancing queen, Fernando,
    Oh, oh, oh, finally facing my Waterloo.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Posts
    3,124
    Mine has to be "The winner takes it all".

  4. #4
    Registered User kev67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Reading, England
    Posts
    2,229
    Abba were a bit too cheesy to admit liking when I was young. I always found this lyric from Super Trouper rather jarring.

    I was sick and tired of everything
    When I called you last night from Glasgow
    All I do is eat and sleep and sing
    Wishing every show was the last show (Wishing every show was the last show)
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

  5. #5
    Super papayahed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    17,049
    Thank you for the music, for giving it to me.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda


  6. #6
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,904
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


  7. #7
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,382
    Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    Abba were a bit too cheesy to admit liking when I was young. I always found this lyric from Super Trouper rather jarring.

    I was sick and tired of everything
    When I called you last night from Glasgow
    All I do is eat and sleep and sing
    Wishing every show was the last show (Wishing every show was the last show)
    I agree these lyrics are a bit off .
    the other thing I never understood is why they sang in English.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  8. #8
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Can you hear the drums Fernando?
    You were young and free, only 17, Fernando.
    In the firelight Fernando,
    Having the time of you life, Fernando.

    Take a chance on me, Fernando.
    You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar.
    Honey, I'm still free, Fernando.
    If you need me, let me know, gonna be around.

    They were closer now Fernando.
    Every hour every minute seemed to last eternally.
    Knowing me, knowing you, Fernando,
    You're in the mood to dance.

    At Waterloo, Fernando,
    The roar of guns and cannons almost made me cry.
    Digging the dancing queen, Fernando,
    Oh, oh, oh, finally facing my Waterloo.
    LOL all lyrics in one. Nice
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  9. #9
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,325
    Thanks, Cacian. I'm afraid my boogie shoes have been hanging from a rusty nail for manys the weary year now. But if you want a real answer, Scheherazade is right. Dancing Queen was the most fun to dance to because it gave you a happy feeling inside. It wasn't Shakespeare, but hey...
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

  10. #10
    Registered User fudgetusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    200
    Dancing Queen was playing on the radio when I was little. I love it. Too obvious though, so SOS.

  11. #11
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,325
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    the other thing I never understood is why they sang in English.
    It's a much bigger market than the Sweden (where their records would sell anyways). Even a dancing queen needs her Crown Jewels, no?
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-24-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

  12. #12
    Registered User kev67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Reading, England
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    I agree these lyrics are a bit off .
    the other thing I never understood is why they sang in English.
    They did not just sing in English. There was Voulez Vous. I think they were the only two French words in the song, but still.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

  13. #13
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    It's a much bigger market than the just Sweden (where their records would sell anyways). Even a dancing queen needs her Crown Jewels, no?
    LOL absolutely and what we would do without one is the more pressing question
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  14. #14
    Registered User tailor STATELY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gold Country
    Posts
    12,784
    Ok, listening to their hits on YouTube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKTwzqEmnVU enjoying once more.

    (lol) Just realized I often sing Money Money Money and had forgotten its origin... (the latest time was y e s t e r d a y)

    Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 06-18-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: link
    tailor

    who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

    7-8-2015

  15. #15
    MANICHAEAN MANICHAEAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Posts
    2,397
    Blog Entries
    1
    Never forgot that blonde bombshell and the others when they knocked the competition sideways with "Waterloo" on the Eurovision Song Contest.

    "The Day Before You Came" was my favourite.

    Also in vogue was Bony M. Sweated off a few pounds in Nigeria dancing to "Rasputin" on a Saturday night in the Jos Plateau Club.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your Favourite ABBA Song
    By cacian in forum General Movies, Music, and Television
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •