Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Forums replaced by Social Media sites, like facebook

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries

Forums replaced by Social Media sites, like facebook

I've tried the various literatature and writing "groups" on facebook. They are all awful, awful places. Most threads are started with some kind of click bait statement, "Is God Evil?" etc... and for reasons unknown, people pile in and arguments/back and forths go on until the next click bait, "Scariest book ever"

I cannot figure out why people don't come back to forums and still spend the online time on social media sites? I have returned after my time in the wilderness, for sure. Surprised there are not more returnees.

Closed
    It's good to know I haven't missed anything, Tony. I've never used Facebook or Twitter and I refuse to sign into YouTube (which I otherwise enjoy) because I'll be damned if I'm going to give a corporation that kind of power over my communications or so much information about myself. I'd consider GoodReads except that I can't for the life of me understand what you're supposed to do there. To make book lists? Why? To impress people? Piss off! (Not you guys). To set challenges to make me read (because otherwise I'd be embarrassed that I hadn't met my challenge)? Piss off some more! I don't care what online strangers think about me, and I'll read what I like when I like in any case. Is there anything more to that site? Seriously, I'd love to know. Anyways, I'm all for rebuilding LitNet.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the groups that prefer social media and those that choose Literature Foruns have different communication necessities.
    My short time twitter experience was quite amusing. If one said "Good morning!" or "Thank you!" it went a long way, being retwittet by lots of people. But longer sentences stuck, one felt is was against the common rules, trying to express a thought.

I see people coming back to LitNet, but there aren´t discussions any more of the kind we had two years ago.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    I consider Facebook, Twitter, etc. in the Marxian way : "I never would join any club that would accept me as a member." I'm with Groucho's philosophy. Especially with Facebook -- they wouldn't let me sign on with the moniker "Aunt Shecky." Also they required my date of birth! Who did they think they are? CVS?

Seriously, there's no way I'd give up my privacy for so little in return. Yeah, like I really want to make it easier for bill collectors to find me.

Some people call Facebook, Instagram, etc., "necessary evils". They're evil all right, but I'm not quite sure about the necessary part. The only one I really dig is Twitter, but don't ask me why. Anyway, in all my years surfing the internet (which are many), I've never found in those sites anything half as interesting as the good stuff you see in forums such as this.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    I've been on Facebook now for a number of years, but regard it with mixed feelings.

It's a very handy way of keeping in touch using the Messenger function, especially on the I-pad when travelling. As for the rest it's very superficial. When communication is limited to "Wave" or "Like" you really are down on the bottom drawer. I've even had to block old friends or associates when I see unexpected rants on: immigration, muslims, church abuse and other extreme manifestations of prejudice. They are entitled to their views, but I don't have to be drawn into the same pit.

Now, as seems to be the general consensus, Lit Net has a more friendly substance. Aunt Shecky will gently correct your grammar when you ere, and Pompey will politely tell you that you are talking out of your *** on some aspect of Roman history you might raise. But it's all done with respect and a warmth of feeling.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Woops. Double posting.

"I live in terror of not being misunderstood." OW.
    Last edited by MANICHAEAN; 07-24-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by manichaean View Post
    now, as seems to be the general consensus, lit net has a more friendly substance. Aunt shecky will gently correct your grammar when you ere, and pompey will politely tell you that you are talking out of your *** on some aspect of roman history you might raise. But it's all done with respect and a warmth of feeling.
    Group hug!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    I consider Facebook, Twitter, etc. in the Marxian way : "I never would join any club that would accept me as a member." I'm with Groucho's philosophy. Especially with Facebook -- they wouldn't let me sign on with the moniker "Aunt Shecky." Also they required my date of birth! Who did they think they are? CVS?

Seriously, there's no way I'd give up my privacy for so little in return. Yeah, like I really want to make it easier for bill collectors to find me.
    As always I read your input with a grin on my face.

Anyhow, I have said elsewhere in this site that I never did open a FaceBook account, no twitter, no Instagram, no nothing. And I feel here that I am amidst friends, to say the least. And a good heated argument always rejuvenates the blood (when those occasions do arise)… so I agree to Pomp's group hug!
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    It's been years since an argument. (Where is Cacian? We should bump some of those threads: the marijuana one was a good one.

Facebook generally can be full of rubbish but closed groups where you need to be validated as a user to join or fine

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I didn't know that Facebook worked like that, but then I wouldn't join anything which can veto membership.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyhmd View Post
    Facebook generally can be full of rubbish but closed groups where you need to be validated as a user to join or fine
    I'm in a few closed groups, "writers group" being one of them. It's another 'clickbait' common denominator topics. Perhaps clubs (online or in life) can only be so big. Anthropologists say the number is about 2oo, before splittering starts. i think that the main prob with these monster facebook group.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyhmd View Post
    I'm in a few closed groups, "writers group" being one of them. It's another 'clickbait' common denominator topics. Perhaps clubs (online or in life) can only be so big. Anthropologists say the number is about 2oo, before splittering starts. i think that the main prob with these monster facebook group.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post

Whoa. The day after I posted this, Facebook lost 120 billion with a "b" on the NYSE.

I feel powerful --

or maybe the kid who walked down the street hitting electrical poles with a stick and believed he caused the Big Northeast Blackout of 1965.