Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Thistle or A Snakeskin Found

  1. #1
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,005

    Thistle or A Snakeskin Found

    Thistle or A Snakeskin Found
    by PB

    I found your skin this morning, Lucifer,
    Papery, dead, in a forest of fiddlehead fern.
    You were there. You left it for me, turned
    And twisted on a thistle's purple crown.
    Such was the blossom you gave me once,
    The one I loved until it spread and brought in
    Every snapping, black-capped bird
    And choked off sprigs that might have grown instead.
    And there was nothing ever to be said
    Nor thought nor done nor writ nor planned,
    But only each stalk to be held in bleeding hands,
    And like a loose skinned and indifferent man
    To root each grasping bastard up
    And cast it dead upon the land.
    I found your skin today, old foe,
    In a forest of fiddlehead fern.
    And all I've ever wanted to know
    Is where a child of God may turn.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-06-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

  2. #2
    TheFairyDogMother kiz_paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Prairies, Canada
    Posts
    9,656
    Blog Entries
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Thistle or A Snakeskin Found
    by PB

    I found your skin this morning, Lucifer,
    Papery, dead, in a forest of fiddlehead fern.
    You were there. You left it for me, turned
    And twisted on a thistle's purple crown.
    Such was the blossom you gave me once,
    The one I loved until it spread and brought in
    Every snapping, black-capped bird
    And choked off sprigs that might have grown instead,
    And there was nothing ever to be said
    Nor thought nor done nor writ nor planned,
    But only each stalk to be held in bleeding hands,
    And like a loose skinned and indifferent man
    To root each grasping bastard up
    And cast it dead upon the land.
    I found your skin today, old foe,
    In a forest of fiddlehead fern.
    And all I've ever wanted to know
    Is where a child of God may turn.
    Very cool poem... I loved it.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,005
    Thanks Kiz. It seemed to turn people off. Or at least it didn't get the standard "loved it on so many levels" treatment. I'm sure I shouldn't be surprised. It's not a very lovable poem although it is a heartfelt one. Anyway, thanks for bothering. I knew I could count on you.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

  4. #4
    Registered User tailor STATELY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gold Country
    Posts
    12,413
    Howdy Pb !

    Your poem scans well. Enjoyed the alliteration in L2 and repeated in the antepenultimate line; very dense with metaphor that I'm still trying to root out. The title helps a little. Re: your query - I know you have the answer already within... I hope your protagonist finds it.

    An aside... As one with Scottish roots I was honored when a purple thistle appeared in a garden of mine. I watered it and let it grow among the plants and flowers only to have it destroyed by another (sigh) who saw it only as a weed.

    Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    Enchant Me

    Your very being a desire for answer
    Lament not your unassailable mystery
    Enchant me with your dreams

    5-14-2005

  5. #5
    The Gnu Normal Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,005
    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post
    Your poem scans well. Enjoyed the alliteration in L2 and repeated in the antepenultimate line; very dense with metaphor that I'm still trying to root out. The title helps a little. Re: your query - I know you have the answer already within... I hope your protagonist finds it.
    Oh hello, tailor. Sorry to have missed this before. Thanks for taking the time to read my poem and comment on it. "Rooting out" the metaphor is a clever way of putting it. The poem was inspired by finding a real snakeskin in my backyard a few moments before I started writing. The protagonist is me, I'm afraid, reflecting on the sin, especially (pardon me) the sexual sin of my youth. The purple thistle (alluring but sharply hurtful and ultimately a trick) is the central metaphor. Uprooting the spread thistles represented is about trying to take responsibility for my life. And the newfound snakeskin is a kind of calling card left after all these years: I'm still here--don't think we've parted company. I was trying to express a kind of human lament about how some consequences can last a lifetime (this has been troubling me recently), but also to express a conviction that sins are ultimately beyond one's powers to remedy and must be brought to God. So the question at the end was weary but indeed rhetorical. I know the answer as well as you do. There are other little symbols and allusions in this poem, but that was my general idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post
    An aside... As one with Scottish roots I was honored when a purple thistle appeared in a garden of mine. I watered it and let it grow among the plants and flowers only to have it destroyed by another (sigh) who saw it only as a weed.
    Yes, sorry to have used the national emblem for such a dark metaphor. I but your friend was right. They spread past all expectation, and then they are a real problem (hence my figure of speech).

    Thanks again for taking the time with this one. They can't all be Limericks.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-06-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

Similar Threads

  1. Found you after all! :)
    By parmindersingh in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM
  2. Not found
    By Silas Thorne in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
  3. Found Again
    By The Rider in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 11:33 PM
  4. This' all I found
    By white camellia in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 11:18 AM
  5. Never Found
    By brighttears in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 10:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •