Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

20 on england.

So much for the non-Europeans. The World Cu devolves into the European Cup. Brazil played well -- but Thibaux Coutois was to good for them. The three Brazilian substitutes were great: Renato Augusto had a great goal and Douglas Costa rampaged on the right wing. Why did Bayern ever let Costa go to Juventus? He's a great player.

Uraguay didn't quite have the depth with Cavani injured. France and Belgium are the teams of the tournament (although anything can happen in a final).
    Last edited by Ecurb; 07-07-2018 at 12:33 AM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Iīm impressed about your knowledge of Brazilian football. I had never heard about Renato Augusto before. I think one thing to be learnt from this World Cup is that you must have a real team game and not become so dependent of the great stars.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Well, Belgium and France have great stars. I't s true that Messi and Ronaldo were eliminated, and now Neymar (perhaps the 3rd best player, although I can't stand him). But Belgium have Eden Hazard (last year's Premiership player of the year), Kevin De Broyne (this year's player of the year) and Romalu Lukaku (certainly a top 15 in the world type player, whom most teams would sign instead of anyone on the Brazilian team other than Neymar). In fact, all three are probably worth more on the open market than anyone on Brazil except Neymar. And that doesn't even count Courtois, who is perhaps the best goalie in the world.

France have Paul Pogba (the most expensive player in the world until PSG signed Neymar for an astronomical sum) and a dozen other superstars. Their central defenders star for Barcelona and Real Madrid; Ngolo Kante is another Premiership player of the year; Griezman stars for Atletico Madrid, and is coveted by every big club in the world, and Kylian Mbappe is the future of soccer,and the second (after Neymar) record signing.

Uruguay missed one of their superstars, Edinson Cavanni. Of course big countries like Brazil have more depth than Uruguay or Belgium, but they don't have much more star power (much to Neymar Jr.'s dismay, since he seems to aspire to an acting career, instead of one in football).

Blog Entries
    I think star power depends very much on the money that is spent on athletes and on media today.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I think star power depends very much on the money that is spent on athletes and on media today.
    so Danik where are you at?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    To tell you the candid thruth, cacian, personally I am quite happy that the hubbub is over! I didnīt watch any of the games.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Goooal. England

While England was enjoying their "finest hour" in the Battle of Britain, Sweden was maintaining neutrality, and shipping iron ore to Germany. That's why I rooted for England.

I'm conflicted about the next game. Russia defeated Hitler, while the Croatian Ustazi tortured their countrymen in support of him (the head of the Ustazi supposedly kept a basket of human eyes in his office). Still, tiny Croatia has fewer than 5 million inhabitants,and Russia is the "evil empire". I think I'll root for Croatia because Russia is a boring soccer team.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    To tell you the candid thruth, cacian, personally I am quite happy that the hubbub is over! I didnīt watch any of the games.
    LOL I am exactly like you. Too noisy for me. I am not bothered. I prefer it when it is all over and done with.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Well,,,,,, now on a more pleasant note everyone is now awaiting for Wayne Rooney, to make his appearance dressed out with the the great DC United,,,,, in the MLS,,,, do you find that exciting as well ,,, or just huhum..

as someone living in England im wondering the % of soccer fans in USA rooting for England. nice to have England in semis. 1966 long time back to be winners!

39.7% of American soccer fans are rooting for England, 34.3% for Belgium, 25% for France, and Luca Savecic of Milwaukee,Wisconsin is rooting for Croatia. Also, 83% of Americans cannot identify Croatia on an unlabeled map of Europe, 54% cannot identify Belgium,and Cole Porter of New Haven Connecticut loves Paris when it drizzles. In previous rounds, 52% of Americans were Mexico fans, but Donald Trump had 73% of them deported, and stole their children to work as assistant referees in MLS games. Offsides!

Personally, I stand behind England in the semis. While they were winning the Battle of Britain, the Croatians were welcoming Hitler with open arms. Nonetheless, I find the England penchant for the backwards pass troubling. What kind of tactic is that? Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling are lurking AHEAD. They are your two best players. Pass the darned ball forward, at least occasionally. Gosh, Modric and Rakatic seem capable of passing the ball forward, and even dribbling the ball forward. Come on, England, you too can do this. I'm afraid Croatia will rule the midfield (although it might not be enough for them). Harry Maguire! Please come to the front of the line. Your services are urgently required.l.p.
    Last edited by Ecurb; 07-10-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Wayne Rooney was always overrated -- the great England hope. But he fell between Alan Shearer and Harry Kane as the England striker, and he was never the player either one of them was. He always lacked athleticism, although he was certainly skilled, and scored his share of great goals. Now, though, his athleticism has waned, and although he can occasionally show his skill (as in that 50 yard goal he scored for Everton this year) his opportunities to do so are fading.

That's that, then: England's out. Wayne Rooney was carrying too much weight the last time I checked his BMI, by the way.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast