Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meditation A simple guide to practice and do.

Blog Entries

Meditation A simple guide to practice and do.

My name is Michael, and i have been practising meditation for over the past forty years, i was twenty nine years old when i started, and now i am seventy
    three years young. I have been given so much from meditation and it has enriched my life beyond measure, therefore because of this richness that I have
    experienced, i thought about sharing that here, and offering my experience as a way of giving something back, from what I have so greatly received over
    these past four decades.
    Meditation is basically the science of knowing yourself, and like yoga(which means union) so that through the practice of meditating we begin co-joining
    all the fragmented parts of us, into eventually becoming a whole and well inter-grated human being.
    So how do we start this off? What do we need to do? And how long shall we sit quietly at the beginning? All these questions will be answered, plus the way
    to start of, which I consider the most simple and uncomplicated way to meditate, in fact this is the way I use today after forty years and more.
    Meditation is also about expansion, expansion of consciousness, perception, awareness, and an increase in sensitivity and understanding, it opens the door
    to our inner intuitive faculties.
    Will begin with this more tomorrow, hope there are some of you out there that are interested in this, if so then please let me know here.

warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    There are I am sure about a thousand and one different ways to meditate, and we can all choose which one suits us best, this was the dilemma that presented itself to me, over forty years ago, I really felt the need to meditate but which sort of meditation shall I choose? I had heard about then in 1975 that a popular form of meditation was called Transcendental Meditation founded by the Maharishi Yogi, and that the Beatles pop group at that time were learning this form of meditation, and being personally instructed in how to do it by the Maharishi himself. I decided this form of meditation was not for me, and of course it cost money to learn it then,and money was tight with me then. So I found a way to meditate that was absolutely free of charge, and whats more easy to learn.
    All this method requires is for you to sit comfortably you can cross your legs if you want to and find that position east to adopt, or if that is difficult, just cross your ankles together, your hands can be placed on your lap, palms facing upwards, and just touching the thumb and forefinger together, try and sit with your back as straight as is comfortable to you, then when you have done all this, close your eyes, take a big breath in, and exhale, then all you need to do is breathe in through and out through your nose and just observe your breath, just focus your attention on your breathing in and out, that is all you need to do! If you are an absolute beginner at this, then I suggest starting this for just five or maybe ten minutes at a time. What we will be gradually aiming for, is for a reduction in the number of thoughts that enter our heads, at the start of this many will feel almost overwhelmed by the onslaught of so many thoughts, which will seem at first very magnified, because we are sitting still and relaxing. This intensity of thoughts will gradually get less, the more we practice this discipline.
    Will post more on this later, if anyone is interested in this meditation learning posts, please feel free to ask any questions here on this forum, or send me an email at [email protected]
    Warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    I have basically used the same method of meditation for the past forty years, and this is the one that i will always refer to here in this thread. It is i feel the easiest way to
    practice meditation, all you have to do after sitting in a comfortable position with your legs either crossed, or just crossed at the ankles, close your eyes, try and keep your back and spine erect as is comfortable for you, and with your eyes closed and just looking focusing your gaze at the point where the eye lids meet, then breath in deeply, and exhale, then
    just focus on your breathing, just let your breathing slowly establish a steady rhythm , in and out, breathing through your nose, and just paying attention and focused of your breath
    ignore all the thoughts that will arise in your mind, just let them go, imagine that your thoughts are like the credits that roll up the screen at the end of a film, just let the
    thoughts roll up and out of your mind. This will take much practice before all thoughts falter and fade out, do not be worried by this, we have spent our entire lives thinking
    thoughts every waking second of every day. It will improve the more you practice it. i suggest that if you are just beginning to use meditation, then start of with just five or
    ten minutes, sitting quietly and observing your breath, as that get easier for you with practice, then add another five minutes, and see how that goes.
    That's enough for today, i hope someone out there has an interest in this.
    warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    Your method of 'teaching' is superb! Carry on brother.lov&regards
    The more i learn more i become aware of my ignorance
    Awareness of ignorance is wisdom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by little-self View Post
    Your method of 'teaching' is superb! Carry on brother.lov®ards
    Thank you brother for your vote of confidence, hope it can be of some use to any reader.
    Warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    When we begin the practice of meditation it is best not to rush things, that way we will not be disappointed by what we might see as failures. If we have never tried this before
    and are not used to just sitting quietly and doing nothing, it is best then that we begin by just sitting quietly for say five or ten minutes, no longer than that at first.
    We find a comfortable place to sit, then sit down, we can either cross our legs, or if that is uncomfortable for us, then just cross your ankles, it does not actually make any
    difference, place your hands palms up, holding onto your thumb and forefinger resting your hands either on your lap, or the arm of the chair. Keep your back as straight as is
    comfortable for you, an erect spine is best, but we need also to be comfortable and relaxed. If some of you find it difficult to relax easily, then before starting to meditate,
    relax each part of your body by flexing then releasing each muscle,starting from your feet up through to the crown of your head,this way your body will be relaxed and
    floppy. close your eyes, and look directly into the point where your eyelids meet, focus your gaze there all the time you are meditating, inhale with a deep breath, then exhale
    with some force, then just begin breathing gently and naturally with a steady rhythm, and while doing this listen and just observe your breath, ignore all thoughts that will
    arise, and there will be very many of those in the beginning,this is perfectly normal, after all you have been thinking billions of thought all your life. Imagine that all those
    thoughts are credits rolling up on a screen at the end of a film,just ignore them totally, and just let them roll on up, do not even attempt to stop this process, as this will
    lead to failure every time, just let them roll on, and do nothing about them at all. let go of them as best you can. The more you practice meditation the easier it will become
    I would suggest that you try and do this every day, and please do not resist this suggestion with the reason of not having the time to do this every day! We are talking about
    five or ten minutes per day here!
    Thats is enough for today. warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    The more we practice meditation the easier it becomes, when we first start meditating it is best to start with just five or ten minutes at a time, do this for a while
    until it becomes very easy for you to do, then simply add another five minutes, it is best to do this every day if at all possible, if you think you have not got that
    time to spare each day, then get up half an hour earlier! That will solve your shortage of time situation. Try and make your meditation practice a part of your daily
    routine, that way it will gradually fit into your life seamlessly. If any of you reading this, have any questions at all, then either ask them here on this thread, or send me an
    email or private message, my email address is [email protected] I am retired and have plenty of spare time to answer any queries so please ask anything
    that occurs to you, and I will do my best to answer it. Will post more later.
    Warmest regards Michael.
    I know nothing,and that is ALL.

Blog Entries
    The more we practice meditation the more we settle into the act, relaxing is most important, and before you actually start meditating, it is a good idea to relax your whole
    body, starting from your feet and working up to your head, flexing and then relaxing all the muscles as you go up the body. By the time you reach your head, you should
    feel deeply relaxed and heavy in the chair or cushion your sat on. Then close your eyes, cross your legs, or ankles if the other is difficult for you, rest your palms facing upwards
    on your lap, focus your eyes on the point where your eye lids meet, take a deep in breath, then exhale loudly, then just breath in a normal way in and out through your nose.
    build up a steady and rhythmic flow of in and out breaths,just observe your breath, and ignore any rising thoughts, pay no attention to them at all, what you are eventually
    aiming for is a no-thought state, complete inner silence, it is only when we arrive at this state does real meditation begin. But do not despair, it takes time to eventually quell
    those thoughts, we have been continually thinking none stop all of our lives, so we will not stop this practice overnight. Just be patient and do the best you can each day, as the
    saying goes, practice makes perfect. If you are just beginning this then please sit for no longer than five or ten minutes at a time, then when you find this easy, add another five minutes, and so on.
    more later/
    warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    Meditation can be seen as the science of knowing, which is another phase further into reality than just believing, by setting aside five or ten minutes per day and sitting in
    the silence of quiet meditation, it is really important to make this a daily discipline, please do not say you cannot do this for lack of time in your busy day, that is just not so
    if necessary get up half an hour earlier than usual, we can always find the time, if we really want to. The more we practice this discipline, the greater clarity will present itself to our consciousness, and this will lead to deeper relaxation and a gradual expansion of consciousness and awareness.
    Later
    Warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    I feel as though am justing talking to myself with this thread, but you never know, someone might just say, Hey! I have always wanted to learn how to meditate and this thread is the way forward for me, I know for myself that I never thought about meditation until i was confronted with a major crisis and life threatening situation, then when i was recovering the idea of meditation as a way to keep relaxed and focused seemed like a good Idea, so I started practicing and am still meditating over forty three years later.The main thing we all need to know, is the answer to the question, who am "I"? If we take up the practice of regular daily meditation, we will all eventually find the answer to that most vital question, who am "I".
    Warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    I feel as though am justing talking to myself with this thread, but you never know, someone might just say, Hey! I have always wanted to learn how to meditate and this thread is the way forward for me, I know for myself that I never thought about meditation until i was confronted with a major crisis and life threatening situation, then when i was recovering the idea of meditation as a way to keep relaxed and focused seemed like a good Idea, so I started practicing and am still meditating over forty three years later.The main thing we all need to know, is the answer to the question, who am "I"? If we take up the practice of regular daily meditation, we will all eventually find the answer to that most vital question, who am "I".
    Warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    Been enjoying your thoughts.

I meditate after a fashion and have received personal revelation from the pursuit, including a poem or two or three... It is by virtue of my faith that I know who I am. An audio discussion/example on Christ based meditation: https://www.mormonchannel.org/listen...cember-29-2015

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post

I meditate after a fashion and have received personal revelation from the pursuit, including a poem or two or three... It is by virtue of my faith that I know who I am. An audio discussion/example on Christ based meditation: https://www.mormonchannel.org/listen...cember-29-2015

tailor STATELY
    Thank you for your input here tailor STATELY, I was beginning to think i was talking to myself! And thanks for the link you sent will listen to that later.
    Warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post

tailor STATELY
    Thank you for your input here tailor STATELY, I was beginning to think i was talking to myself! And thanks for the link you sent will listen to that later.
    Warmest regards Michael.

Blog Entries
    The music of the spheres is played out in our everyday life, largely completely unknown to us, all life by its nature of "being alive" has a tonal signature note, a musical note
    in fact, these notes are played out in rhythmic harmonies, and disharmonies each day of our life here on earth, it is all part of the universal Divine harmonics that plays
    out the tune and symphony of expressed life-ful-ness. What has all this to do with meditation you may well ask? Well if we take up the practice of meditation, and have a regular time set aside for this daily activities, we will in fact be "tuning in" to inner harmonies, which will in turn improve your living note balance, which in turn will reflect back better health
    and mental and emotional cohesion. To put it bluntly, if we are "out of tune" we become ill. our life tonal sound will become discordant and instead of dancing through life, we will stumble and fall, tuning in to life's note, is to remain healthy, and expand your consciousness level
    warmest regards, Michael.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast