Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canada Goose

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland

Canada Goose

Sweden has its own populations of Canada Geese. But I didn't know that they are a recent introduction to Sweden, as recently as 1929:

Canada geese have also been introduced in Europe, and have established populations in Great Britain, Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Scandinavia, and Finland. Most European populations are not migratory, but those in more northerly parts of Sweden and Finland migrate to the North Sea and Baltic coasts.[21] Semitame feral birds are common in parks, and have become a pest in some areas. In the early 17th century, explorer Samuel de Champlain sent several pairs of geese to France as a present for King Louis XIII. The geese were first introduced in Britain in the late 17th century as an addition to King James II's waterfowl collection in St. James's Park. They were introduced in Germany and Scandinavia during the 20th century, starting in Sweden in 1929.

But they are migrant, so where do they go in Winter? The same post in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_goose also explains that they migrate to the Baltic and North Sea coasts, where they overwinter, then returning they way they came in the Spring. I does not specify where in Sweden and Finland they go in the summer.

I occasionally see Canada Geese flying west in the autumn, flying in V-formations. There is even a picture on the Wikipedia website of geese walking in the V-formation. It is a remarkable sight watching geese migrate, and hearing their cries.

Closed

Smile

Canada geese can be found in great numbers here in New England. There is a town in Massachusetts called Seekonk, which was the Wampanog (Indian) name for the bird. The word imitates the braying two-syllable honking the birds make as they fly. It is a beloved sound that the end of winter. I remember when I was growing up that if you heard it even from a distance and you know the hard weather was broken (and you smiled). But usually you see the geese flying really low in small V-formations flapping big wings to sustain a slow fight with this strange, awkward sort of majesty; and honking all the while: seekonk seekonk seekonk. The sound has a bittersweet quality, too, because it also sounds when summer ends and the geese (and life) move on.

The geese are not protected, because they are so numerous. Unfortunately some towns try to pass ordinances allowing them to be shot en mass. This is not for hunting but because the geese love to congregate on the open ground of golf courses. They leave scat (feces) that causes golf balls to go astray. Even when ordinances aren't passed, golfers sometimes take matters into their own hands. Such a beautiful and ancient animal killed for a thing like golf! It's really sad.

Edit: I don't know why that smiley turned up at the top of my post. Maybe the geese liked what I said.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 10-16-2016 at 10:54 AM.

I still wonder how they were introduced to Sweden, especially as it happened so recently. I will investigate and see if there is a simple answer.

Well, Pompey, you, too, are entranced by these birds.

I found it, in a doctoral dissertation from Umeå University: http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get...FULLTEXT01.pdf, title: "Nesting and Migration in the Introduced Canada Goose in Sweden" by Göran Sjöberg (1993).

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I found a cute example of what the scientists call "imprinting":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRA3LnBwzvo
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Funnily enough I was going to mention the faithfulness of Canada Goose to a lifelong partnership with its mate, but the video shows it working with a human "parent" as well.

Cranes

Yesterday in the SVT programme "Mitt i Naturen" I watched an item on cranes. They are returning to Sweden after being very scarce for some years. Someone was tagging young cranes before they can fly. They are quite large, and do a courtship dance when seeking a mate. He was particularly interested in where they migrate to in winter (probably Spain). But cranes are found everywhere (except South America, oddly enough).

Blog Entries
    That´s beautiful, DW!
    I never knew what these birds looked like.

I found a translation of the famous German Schiller balade "The Cranes of Ibycus":

http://germanstories.vcu.edu/schiller/ibykus_e.html
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

http://earthsky.org/earth/which-bird...s-the-farthest

Some interesting points on bird migration:

An Arctic tern can live for 25 years, so in its life-long quest for summer it can fly a million kilometers – nearly three times the distance from the Earth to the moon.

Or the albatross:
    Other birds stay in one hemisphere, but go farther. For example, the Wandering Albatross spends most of its life aloft, circling the world over the oceans of the southern hemisphere. It stops only to breed on storm-swept islands near Antarctica.

Thats really cool. The albatross doesn't even need to work, just hang in the air and let the wind blow to move it.

I didn't know birdwatching is also called birding, to cover the fact that you don't just watch but also listen. Listening is a crucial part of watching for birds. I usually hear a skien of Canada Geese before seeing it. Same for the less gregarious woodpeckers and cuckoos. This is what the birdwatching site in Wikipedia writes about birding:

"The first recorded use of the term birdwatcher was in 1891; bird was introduced as a verb in 1918.[3] The term birding was also used for the practice of fowling or hunting with firearms as in Shakespeare's The Merry Wives of Windsor (1602): "She laments sir... her husband goes this morning a-birding."[4] The terms birding and birdwatching are today used by some interchangeably, although some participants prefer birding, partly because it includes the auditory aspects of enjoying birds."

We hang a ball of bird food on a nearby tree that our house overlooks, it attracts lots of birds, including the beautiful Great Spotted Woodpecker.

There is a website birding.com, not yet operative but worth keeping an eye on.

Like so much else in nature I bought a Collins Guide to British Birds, when I lived in Aberdeen in the late 60s.

Last night I watched a Swedish TV programme on the Outer Hebrides, Scotland. It was about how small-scale crofting communities contribute to the diversity of the Westernmost group of islands. How the basking sharks population has grown from almost zero to over a hundred. The same for sea eagles reintroduced from Norway to the Hebrides. Puffins also thrive here. I used to look for puffins in the 1960s on the Western Isles, but never succeeded, so never seen one in real life. The programme was in four one-hour parts, its well worth it if you get the chance to see.

Blog Entries
    I never heard about puffins, so I looked them up to see what they were like. Interesting video also from an educational point of view.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...lantic_iceland

That's a nice video, showing how to "launch" puffins.

Puffins have character, how they show off their beaks when courting. That yellow round patch in the corner of their beak. I've always been fascinated by them. This website has extra information on this curious, sometimes comic, unusual bird:

I would frequently see puffins fly in from the ocean and land among the rocks. While watching the birds walking around they seemed to just disappear from view. They were actually entering these burrows among the jumble of rocks. The entrances were often so well hidden that I couldn't tell if a bird was passing behind a bolder or slipping into a burrow.

When I visited the island the puffins were just starting to lay eggs. Puffins lay just a single egg. Each parent takes its turn incubating the egg. After about six weeks the eggs hatch. The puffin chick is called a "puffling". The puffling remains in the burrow and actually sees very little of it's parents. The parents are frequently out at sea collects small fish for the puffling. Puffins have special serrations in their mouths that allow them to hold several fish crosswise in their beaks. Frequently they can be seen landing outside the burrow and dropping a stack of fish at the mouth of the burrow for the puffling to eat.

The adults continue to feed the puffling this way for about six weeks. At that point the puffling is about full grown and ready to fledge, or leave the nest burrow. One of the puffins primary predators at this point is the black legged gull, which can grab a puffin in flight. Since the gulls frequently have nests on the same islands and need to feed their young as well, this can be a very dangerous time for the pufflings. In order to minimize the danger the pufflings usually fledge at night, when they gulls are not active.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast