Thread: A Tale of Two Cities: Darnay's relationships with Stryver and Carton

A Tale of Two Cities: Darnay's relationships with Stryver and Carton

I just got done with Book II, Chapter XX. Plea. Carton comes to visit Darnay after his return from his honeymoon. It is quite apparent that he looks down on Carton and is indifferent to Stryver.

I must be missing something here. Stryver and Carton saved Darnay's LIFE, to put it mildly. So I was anticipating a lot more than Darnay's indifference and passive contempt for his former counsel and his aide. But yet, Carton apologizes for his rudeness after the trial. Rudeness? If I had been spared from a medieval death sentence (due process and fair trial were foreign concepts back then), the last thing that would offend me would be my life saver's rudeness.
    Last edited by profnachos; 03-11-2018 at 05:42 AM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I quite agree with you there.I think Darnay, who plays the part of the nice guy in these aspects incorporates Dickens` own prejudices.
    Stryver himself is a limited and conceited lawyer. He wouldn´t have gone far without Carton´s assistance.

Carton is very talented, but, for reasons the book doesn´t state turns to drinking and debauchery. In Victorian England this would be enough, I guess, to close the bourgeois doors to him.
    He prefers to be an shadow assistant to his friend, than embark himself on a successful professional career. He feels guilty about his choice, but one doesn´t know anything about his past story, that led to these choices.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row