Thread: Life With Dorcas (Part One)

Blog Entries

Life With Dorcas (Part One)

Uncle Ben’s Big Day

I had always been a contented person and altogether happy with my lot.
    Though not a wealthy person by any measurement I had everything I wanted and all was well in my world.
    I had a job that I enjoyed I had a family that I loved and got along well with and I lived in my own modest cottage in the pleasant English village of Bushy Down.
    I had everything a man could want and I was content, that was, until a few weeks after my twenty ninth birthday when I met Dorcas Fox-Martin.

It was a glorious Sunday morning in June and the Village of Bushy Down was looking particularly picturesque.
    I was on my way to St Lucy’s Church in the village, not somewhere I was completely unfamiliar with but somewhere I hadn’t been as often as I should have.
    Though on that particular morning I had a more pressing need to be there other than the neglect of my spiritual wellbeing.
    Because on that morning Ben Overton, that’s me, was to be Godfather to his nephew Connor.
    My sister Helen was three years younger than me and was the baby of the family and now had a baby of her own who was about to be christened.

It was as I walked to the church, preoccupied by thoughts of pride at my impending God fatherhood that my life was changed forever.
    Having caught sight of Helen on the Church steps I quickly crossed Church Lane and was brought rudely to my senses by the blast of a car horn.
    I jumped out of the way and reached the safety of the footpath and braced myself to launch a tirade at the impatient **** on the other end of the car horn.
    But when I turned to face the driver I was greeted by a beautiful smiling brunette.
    Who mouthed the word “sorry” which completely disarmed me.

Helen and her husband Mark watching from the Church steps thought it was highly amusing that I had nearly been turned into road kill.
    I turned around to give them a withering look and when I returned my attention back to the pretty vehicular assassin she had gone and that was that or so I thought.

It was at the end of the main service when the Reverend Hunter began the Baptism of my nephew Connor Innes into the faith that I saw again.
    It turned out that “Penelope Pitstop” the beautiful, if dangerous brunette, was a close friend of my sister Helen and was also to be a Godparent to my nephew.

I have to confess as proud as I was to be Godfather I didn’t really follow proceedings as closely as I should have as my eyes were constantly drawn to the beautiful girl on the other side of the font.

But at the end I lost sight of her in the melee as everyone decanted from the Church and such was the affect this beautiful stranger had on me that I drove to my mum’s house in Kiddingstone full of trepidation that she was gone forever.

I parked in the street outside my Parents house and went in.
    “Hey Ben” Helen said as I entered the kitchen “you got here safely then?”
    “Very funny” I countered
    “You’re obviously safer as a driver than you are as a pedestrian” She said and roared with laughter.
    “Shut up and give me a beer lippy” I replied
    She went to the fridge and took out a bottle, opened it and handed it to me.
    “Thanks sis,” I said “have you got a glass?”
    I didn’t like drinking from the bottle, I couldn’t stand it, and it was a bit of a joke within the family I thought it was common.
    “You are so old” Helen said laughing
    “I just have standards” I retorted pompously “Where’s Mark?”
    “He’s in the lounge showing Gran the video” She replied.
    My Gran was 91 and quite frail and wasn’t well enough to attend the Christening so the ceremony was videoed by my brother Danny and it was being played back for her so she would feel included in proceeding.
    “You should go and watch it yourself” she added “as you missed most of it as you were ogling Dorcas”
    “Dorcas?” I asked playing dumb
    “Yes the pretty brunette you couldn’t take your eyes off” she said
    “I think you’re imagining it” I answered as I left the kitchen
    “I think you’re smitten” she shouted after me
    I was about to unleash a witty retort in response but I was suddenly knocked sideways into the wall slopping my drink down my trousers.
    “Sorry” she said “I wasn’t looking where I was going”
    I turned around to face my assailant
    “That’s…” and that was all I could say as I gazed upon the smiling face of the beautiful girl I knew to be, though we had not been introduced, Dorcas.
    I don’t know how long I stood there staring at her or how long I would have continued to stare had she not broken the silence.
    “This is becoming a bit of a habit” She said “my name is Dor…”
    “Dorcas” I continued
    “Yes” she answered “and you’re Ben”

And so the introductions were complete and from the first moment we met she bought something into my world that I hadn’t even noticed I didn’t have, love.
    I was besotted with the diminutive young woman with the immense personality and a heart as big as the moon.

As I said when I began I was quite content with my lot and I had not felt my life suffered for the want of love, I had not craved it nor coveted it, I just thought it was something that was inflicted on other people and I was immune but once I tasted it I was hooked.

Had it not been for the fact that she had almost run me down and had fate not also decreed we both be Godparents to the same child I don’t think I would ever have spoken to her, let alone asked her out but ask her out I did and furthermore she said yes.

Not For The Faint Hearted

Having plucked up the courage, at my Godsons Christening, to ask Dorcas Fox-Martin out on a date and bolstered by her positive response I very foolishly neglected to cement the arrangement there and then and furthermore left the Christening party without securing either a firm date for the erm….. Date or any contact details for her.
    It wasn’t until I got home that the full extent of my stupidity dawned on me.
    In my defense of course I was so taken aback by Dorcas’s reply and such was my elation that she had agreed to go out with me
    Which is why I not only didn’t arrange anything but I had also left without any means of contacting her.
    I had just reached the point where I was well and truly feeling sorry myself when the phone rang.
    “Hello” I said forlornly
    “Oh dear” Helen said unsympathetically “cheer up”
    “Don’t joke” I said “I’ve done something really stupid”
    “I know” she replied “you’re a plank”
    “Oh don’t” I responded feebly
    “Fortunately your wonderful sister has come to the rescue” Helen said “and I gave your number to Dorcas so she can call you”
    “You’re the best sis” I said
    “I know” she said immodestly “now don’t **** it up”

I had been so diverted by my foolishness that I hadn’t even given any due consideration to where I would take her.
    Given that prior to that morning she had been a complete stranger to me I therefore had no idea what to suggest.
    My normal first date experience, limited though that might have been, consisted of either a drink, a meal, the cinema or bowling.
    Well a drink didn’t sound substantial enough for my liking and as I was somewhat nervous I imagined I would probably drink too much and make a complete dogs breakfast of it, so I ruled that out.
    A meal on the other hand was fraught with dangers of its own, food preferences, allergies and intolerance’s.
    It goes without saying that it was a given to rule out any food that required the wearing of a bib.
    The cinema I had always found to be a difficult area date wise.
    Sitting in the dark with a girl and spending most of the film weighing up the options of when it would be appropriate to move in for a cuddle or a kiss.
    Not that that would be of concern with Dorcas, after all we were past the age of the back row groping.
    No it was knowing her taste in film that was the issue there so I ruled out the cinema as well.
    I also crossed off tenpin bowling but for no other reason than that I was crap at it.

After a couple of fruitless hours of deliberation I still had no idea where to suggest Dorcas and I should go on our first date and then the phone rang.
    I took a deep breath and reluctantly picked up the receiver.
    “Hello” I said timidly
    “Ben?” a voice asked
    “Speaking” I replied
    “It’s Dorcas” she said
    “Hi” I said weakly
    “We didn’t make a date” Dorcas said hesitantly “At the Christening”
    “No I...” I faltered
    “Did you still… erm want to?” she asked
    “Of course” I said firmly almost shouting
    “Good” Dorcas said with a giggle
    “I thought you might have changed your mind”
    “No not at all” I stated “But...”
    “But?” she said falteringly
    “I don’t know where to suggest” I said
    “Is that all?” she asked and laughed
    She had had a similar struggle as I had to find a suitable venue/activity we had however reached totally different conclusion which I found out when she announced she had the perfect date in mind.
    “A Tree Top Trail”
    “What’s that?” I asked genuinely oblivious
    “It’s a trail through the tree tops with Tarzan swings, rope bridges and Zip Wires” she said excitedly
    “It sounds like great fun and I’ve always fancied a go”
    Well I had no great expectation when I first asked Dorcas out and I thought she would soon tire of me after all I was one of life’s spectators while she was up there center stage.
    But how wrong I was, she knew that we were cut from different cloth but she didn’t care that we were so different.
    I had always been content to look on from the sidelines whereas Dorcas was in there participating with all her might, she was a “joiner in” while I was an applauder of other people’s efforts.
    But no more, and despite the fact that the thought of walking through the tree tops 30 feet above the ground scared me to death I said.
    “Me too”

Stiff Upper Lip

It was a bright Sunday morning in June, just one week after we had first met, when Dorcas picked me up in her Mini outside the Railway Station in Bushy Down.
    It was probably a little unconventional for the first date but after some discussion it was decided that she would pick me up as I lived in Bushy Down which was between her home in Finchbottom and our destination in the Dancingdean Forest.

Despite my apprehension I was very much looking forward to my first date with Dorcas and was praying it would go well.
    My trepidation was quite apart from the normal first date nerves and it stemmed from the fact I had to contend with the death defying heights of the Tree Top Trail with all its incumbent hazards such as Tarzan swings, rope bridges and Zip Wires all at a height of 30ft.
    I was not good with heights, I never had been, not that I suffered from vertigo or had an irrational fear of being up high.
    In fact I liked high places, Airplanes, the London Eye, Canary Wharf or the Empire States Building, as long as there was something between me and oblivion.
    What scared me to death was gravity and the belief that it would at any moment pull me screaming to the ground.
    But I couldn’t show it, not to Dorcas, I had to put on a brave face for her benefit as I didn’t want her to think I was a wimp.

It was about an hour’s drive to the forest but the time seemed to pass by very quickly as we chatted about something and nothing.
    Once we arrived my trepidation deepened as I looked up and realized exactly how high 30 feet was.
    As if sensing my reservations Dorcas took hold of my arm.
    “Come on then” she said steering me in the direction of a large timber shack.

There were 12 of us in our group, 11 first timers and one jovial leader called Gaz who was determined we all had a “great experience”
    And on the whole I think we all did although there were moments when I was almost scared to death.
    Though we were never in any real danger, we all had harnesses and protective gear but I was still scared up in the tree tops.
    But at the end of it, thanks to Gaz, we all had a great experience but it was nice to get back to terra firma.
    After divesting ourselves of our safety gear we all made our way to the café for a well-earned coffee.
    As Dorcas and I sat either side of a picnic table discussing how much we had enjoyed the experience
    “I wouldn’t want to do it again” she announced
    “What?” I said with alarm
    “The tree top stuff” she assured me
    But she continued with more than a little smugness, knowing she had me hook line and sinker
    “I’m up for another date though”
    Then after a minute or two she suddenly said
    “I have a confession to make”
    “Oh” I responded fearing the worst
    “I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn’t scared of heights” she confessed
    “I only finished the course because I didn’t want you to think I was wet”
    And I laughed
    “It’s not funny” she said crossly
    “I’m laughing because I was scared to death myself, I just gritted my teeth and got on with it because I didn’t want you to think I was a wimp”
    I said and she laughed as well.
    When the laughter had subsided we both concurred that it had been a good first date.

It was early evening when we finished our coffee and said fair well to our fellow adventurers and the weather was still lovely.
    We were both getting peckish and as neither of us were ready for the date to end and as we were only half an hour away from the coast we headed off to Pepperstock Bay where we ended the momentous day eating fish and chips out of the paper on the sea front and talked about the day.

Our first kiss came in true romantic style as the sun slowly sank beyond the horizon and on the journey home we planned our second date.

Punting On The Cam

Since our unusual first date back in June on the Tree Top Trail, Dorcas and I had spent a lot of time together on the full range of more conventional dates, country walks, museums, galleries, pubs, restaurant’s, cinemas and bowling alleys.
    Over which time we had gotten to know each other and I discovered that quite apart from being gorgeous, which was plain to everyone, she was witty, intelligent, sensitive, loving and a totally rubbish bowler.

At the beginning of August one bright Friday morning we were driving up the M11 on our way to Cambridge to celebrate my Uncle Herbert’s 60th birthday.
    By which time Dorcas and I were well and truly a couple.

It was to be a full on family weekend, which is something we do rather well I don’t mind saying but this was the rarest of occasions when absolutely everyone would be in attendance.
    Apart from the birthday boy Herbert and his wife Alexandra, there was his elder brother Edgar, my eldest sister Abi and her husband Bijs were coming over from Holland, my younger brother Danny and his girlfriend Siti were driving across from the west midlands, baby sister Helen, hubby Mark and baby Connor were a few hundred yards ahead of us on the motorway and my Mum and Dad were about 50 miles behind us, despite the fact that we left home in convoy, because Dad never broke the speed limit.

Although Dorcas was a longtime friend of my sister Helen, she didn’t know all the players involved in the weekend’s events and was a little apprehensive about meeting them all, so on the journey I filled in any blanks in her knowledge of us.
    “Have you met Abi before?” I asked as we approached junction 8
    “Not really” she replied “She was in the back of your Dads car once, I think she was on her way back to Uni, but I didn’t meet her exactly”
    It was hardly surprising really as she never really came home again after Uni.
    Abigail met Bijs at University and went out to Southern Holland almost as soon as they graduated.
    Now they both worked at the City Hall in S-Hertogenbosch and lived a few miles away in Rosmalen and only get back to the UK once in a while.
    “You know Danny though” I said as I took the exit and drove towards Stansted airport
    “Yes but then he is nearer my own age” she said
    “And he asked me out once”
    “I didn’t know that” I said surprised
    “I said no” she assured me
    “I’m pleased to hear it” I added
    “How come we never met?” I asked
    “I don’t know” Dorcas said thoughtfully “Just my good fortune I suppose”
    “Bloody cheek” I said

Forty five minutes later we rejoined the M11 with my sister and her husband on board and we were still ahead of my Mum and Dad.
    With the introductions done and Dorcas thoroughly interrogated by my sister we made steady progress towards Cambridge.
    “You’ll like Uncle Herbert” Abi said either to Dorcas or Bijs I’m not sure which
    “He’s Professor of Medieval Studies at Cambridge University” I said proudly
    “Just like CS Lewis” Dorcas contributed
    “That’s right” I said surprised “How on earth did you know that?”
    “Well I’m not just a pretty face” she said
    “Clearly” I concurred
    “He’s at Magdalene College” Abi continued
    “Also like Lewis” Dorcas responded
    “Have you been swatting?” I asked suspiciously
    “No I’m just a big fan” she replied
    “Of Lewis or my Uncle?” I asked with a smile
    “He is also a wit” Abi added
    “A raconteur, a lay preacher and an all-round good egg” Abi and I said in unison and laughed as this was a well-worn phrase oft quoted by the family in relation to Uncle Herbert.
    Bijs and Dorcas looked on in bemusement.

We drove onto the driveway of chez Cush just before one o’clock and I took a moment to take in the familiar vista before I took Dorcas inside to do the introductions.
    The Cush brothers still lived in the ancestral pile built by my great great great grandfather at the height of the industrial revolution.
    It had featured prominently throughout my life where all the family gatherings had taken place.
    It was not a particularly esthetically pleasing structure but it was typically Victorian and it held fond memories for me.
    The harshness of its hard lines had been somewhat softened over the years by the matured sympathetic planting which blended it into the unfussy landscape of the fens where many a long summer holiday had been spent.

Herbert was still at the college but Edgar had a light lunch prepared for us which we ate on the terrace.
    We had just finished when Mum and Dad arrived followed shortly by Danny and Siti.
    “Well better late than never” I said
    “I thought we made good time” Dad replied
    “Not you Dad” I responded “You’re actually early, I was talking to desperate Dan”
    “I have just one thing to say to you bruv” Dan said punching me on the arm
    “M42”
    Enough said we all concurred

After lunch as we had a couple of hours to kill so we left the oldies and the baby to doze on the terrace and set off for a walk along the river.
    What began with a huddled chattering group eventually spread out into a ragged strand.

Danny and I were at the back about 20 yards astern of Dorcas and Siti who appeared to be getting on like a house on fire.
    Danny and Siti lived in Kidderminster where he was an Estate agent and she was a primary school teacher so I didn’t get to see him as often as I’d like.
    It was only on these mass gatherings that we were able to catch up.
    “How did you of all people manage to snatch up a gem like Dorcas?” Danny asked in disbelief
    “She obviously fell for my charm” I said smugly
    “I thought she had better taste” Dan continued
    “She knocked me back you know?”
    “I know” I replied
    “Turned me down flat” he continued
    “Which just goes to prove she does have good taste” I said and he tried to push me in the river.
    The girls turned around to see what we were up to and they both gave us a look so we returned to our previous positions.
    “Well you’ve got yourself a good one in Siti” I said
    “I know” he said smugly

About half an hour later we were in sight of the university buildings and Abi shouted back from her place in the vanguard.
    “PUNTS”
    And Danny and I started jogging towards her.
    “What’s going on” Dorcas said with alarm
    “Were going punting” I said and took her hand and we ran hand in hand along the path
    “But I’ve never punted” she exclaimed
    The reason for all the excitement was that because of all the summers spent in Cambridge a disproportionate amount of time was spent Punting on the river Cam.

We hired 4 punts and divided up into our respective couples.
    Now when the Overton take to the water the object of the exercise is not to get wet.
    We had all been in the river at one time or another, some more than others, but when we were punting the winners were the ones who stayed dry.
    If your pole gets stuck in the mud you let it go, if the situation arises then you stay with the punt and not with the pole it’s simple really.
    Now when I say the object of the exercise is to stay dry in truth what I actually mean is that it is to get your opponents wet.
    Once both occupants of a punt have been dunked then they can take no further part.
    Now under normal circumstances hostilities wouldn’t begin until all craft were out of sight of the dock and the prying eyes of the boat keeper.
    But on this occasion Bijs missed his footing and fell in the river without even setting foot onto his punt.
    “God Bijs your whole country is below sea level” Danny shouted “you should be more at home on the water than any of us”

It wasn’t long before Abi, the least sea worthy of the Overton’s, succumbed to an early bath and we were down to 3 boats.
    Once the flotilla had travelled sufficiently up stream so as to be out of sight of the boat station and hostilities could begin.

There had been a number of harmless skirmishes when Danny, who normally wins hands down, narrowly avoided a ramming by Helens punt only to find himself heading straight for a weeping willow.
    Siti panicked and ran to the rear of the vessel and then she and Danny slid down the pole together.
    During the ensuing laughter Mark and I collided, and he and I both got dunked.
    Dorcas stood up and laughed like a drain before she shouted
    “Abandon ship” and jumped in and joined me.
    “I’ll save you captain” she said and wrapped her arms around me as we stood in the cool water, me up to my thighs and Dorcas waist deep and we laughed in the summer sunshine.
    Which was when I fell in love with her.
    As I stood in the waters of the Cam kissing my girlfriend, Helen noisily declared herself the winner.

She had never won before and she wouldn’t shut up about it on the walk back to the Cush’s so we picked her up threw her into the river.
    Her last words before she hit the water were
    “You can’t do that I’m a mother”

Indecent Proposal

After the family Overton had done battle on the Cam we squelched our way back along the river bank to Chez Cush in high spirits.
    As we got closer to the house we could hear a happy chatter and the sound of glasses chinking.
    We walked around the side of the house towards the terrace and found the family gathered.
    “Oh goodness you’re all wet” Mum said “You’re worse than you were when you were children”
    “Aha the motley crew return” Uncle Herbert said jovially “Who won the Battle of the Cam?”
    “I did” Said Helen triumphantly as she squelched onto the terrace.
    “So why are you dripping wet?” asked a bemused Uncle Edgar
    “They threw me in river” said Helen indignantly “because they’re mean”
    This information was received with raucous laughter and not with the wave of sympathy she had been expecting so she flounced off to get changed.
    The rest of us decided to have a drink on the terrace first.
    During our absence a large white marquee had appeared on the lawn on the west side of the house in preparation of Uncle Herbert’s 60th Birthday party the next day.

Over the next hour everyone slowly drifted off in their ones and twos to get ready for the evening meal until there was only Dorcas and I left and we spent a romantic hour cuddling in the hammock watching the sun go down.
    “This is nice” I said
    “This is perfect” Dorcas corrected me

I was up early on Saturday morning, as was Mum, there was only the two of us, and everyone else was sleeping in after severe over indulgence at dinner the night before.
    We sat in the conservatory having breakfast and watched a procession of vans arrive on the drive and disgorge their various cargo into waiting hands who transported them to the marquee or its environs.
    “What do you think of Dorcas?” I said suddenly although Mum had known her longer than I had as she had been at school with Helen.
    “She’s very nice dear” she replied as she stood up
    “Of course she’s far too pretty for you to keep” she continued and left the room before I could respond.
    “She’s far too pretty for me to keep” What on earth did she mean by that?

I spent the rest of Saturday morning wondering what she meant by her remark.
    Did she mean Dorcas was too pretty for me? Not good enough for me? Or too good for me?
    Anyway the conclusion I reached was that I loved Dorcas Fox-Martin and I was going to keep her, end of story.

At two o’clock people started to arrive and the party slowly got going with the garden quickly filling with familiar faces.
    I was appointed one of the “meeters and greeters” which was a great opportunity to introduce Dorcas to all and sundry.
    After about an hour she went off to babysit Connor so Helen was free to mingle and I had a chance to catch up with old family friends and acquaintances but as a result I hardly saw Dorcas all afternoon and I really felt her absence.

As the evening gave way to dusk all but the hardiest of us had moved into the marquee where shortly before the band started their set my kid brother Danny said he had an announcement to make and a murmur spread around the room in anticipation.
    “I would just like to make a short but significant announcement”
    Now I was reasonably sure it was not a marriage declaration as I knew Danny’s position on marriage very well indeed.
    He loved Siti with all his heart but he would never marry her because he thought marriage was a nonsense.
    I had no opinion on marriage myself as I never thought the opportunity would ever arise.
    Although Danny was anti marriage I suspected he might change his mind if given sufficient incentive to do so, namely if there was a chance he might lose Siti.
    So when the announcement was imminent I was certain sure it wasn’t marriage but wasn’t prepared at all for what he did say as he stood holding Siti’s hand.
    “We are having a baby” he said excitedly and the tent erupted in cheers and then my Mum cried.

About an hour later I was on my way back from the bar when I walked behind my Mums table out of her line of sight.
    “You must be very proud Eleanor” Aunt Alexandra said
    “Yes all my children are married or settled down” She Replied “apart from Ben of course”
    At that remark I stopped in my tracks.
    “But he has a pretty little girlfriend” Alexandra corrected her.
    “I know and she’s lovely” Mum said “but he’ll never keep hold of her she way out of his league”
    There was a brief pause and then she continued
    “He really needs to find himself a horsey type, not a pretty little brunette”
    Well they say eaves droppers never hear anything good about themselves well that would teach me.
    As I continued on my journey I was feeling absolutely gob smacked.
    I approached our table and Helen slurred loudly
    “Then they threw me in the river”
    Everyone laughed, but I rather uncharitably thought “for god’s sake let it go”
    I sat next to Dorcas who gave me a smile as I sat down, I smiled back but inside I wasn’t smiling.
    It was only when we were on the dance floor smooching along to 10cc’s “I’m not in love” that I felt at peace and I thought to myself “oh yes I am”

It was the next morning when I was getting ready for church that I made the decision.
    I had woken up that morning having had an epiphany.
    I quickly finished getting dressed and rushed downstairs and into the kitchen.
    “Where’s Dorcas?” I asked abruptly
    “And good morning to you” Abi said sitting at the table still wearing her dressing gown.
    “Have you seen her or not?” I asked
    “She’s in the shower” she snapped
    “Thanks” I said and turned on my heels and left
    “And I’m next” she shouted after me

I went upstairs to the guest bathroom and pressed my ear against the door.
    I could hear the sound of the shower running and tuneless singing.
    So having detected it was Dorcas and not my mother I knocked on the door.
    “I’ll be out in a minute” she called
    “I need to talk to you” I called back
    “I’ll be out in a minute hon” she said
    The door was locked but it was an old house with a lot of the original fittings, including the door latch on the inside of the bathroom door.
    I couldn’t wait a minute, what I had to say to her was urgent so as Dorcas wouldn’t let me in I had to let myself in.
    So I used my credit card, sliding it between the frame and the door and lifting the latch.
    I pushed open the door which squeaked as it opened.
    “Who’s that?” she called in alarm
    “It’s only me” I answered
    Dorcas was just stepping out of the shower and hastily covered herself with a towel.
    Although in the two months we had been seeing each other we had, to put it as delicately as possible, been intimate we were not at that stage of intimacy that allowed naked converse.
    “Get out I’m not decent” she shouted
    “I have something important to say” I insisted
    “Can’t it wait?” she asked
    “No it can’t” I said
    “Well you can’t just barge into the bathroom when someone else’s is in there” Dorcas said crossly
    “It’s not decent we’re not some old married couple you know”
    “That’s just the point” I said
    “What is?” she said still cross
    “I want us to be” I explained
    “You want us to be what?” she said with a puzzled expression
    “Married” I said quietly “I want to marry you”
    Dorcas just stood there looking at me with a vacant look on her face.
    “Well what do you think?” I asked
    “I think you should come over here and kiss me” Dorcas replied
    “Is that really decent?” I queried
    “It is now we’re engaged” she answered and we kissed

We decide not to tell my Mum until after church as we thought her head might explode.
    We did tell Danny though but only as he happened to be passing the bathroom as we came out but we swore him to silence until lunchtime.
    “I’d better be your best man” he said
    “But you don’t believe in marriage” I replied
    “That’s not the point” he said

Blog Entries
    Loved it, Biggus!
    Great story indeed.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein