Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: My Short Horror Story: A Piece of Non-fiction

Blog Entries

My Short Horror Story: A Piece of Non-fiction

Howdy !

Thought I'd share my recent experiences accessing LitNet:

Using a Windows 10 platform (laptop) I've been experiencing a plethora of 502 errors; example:

Retry for a live version
    This page... is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by Cloudflare | Hide this Alert

Error 502 Ray ID: 3f046f2211159fc6 • 2018-02-20 21:07:12 UTC
    Bad gateway
    You
    Browser
    Working
    Ashburn
    Cloudflare
    Working
    www.(website)
    Host
    Error

What happened?
    The web server reported a bad gateway error.

What can I do?
    Please try again in a few minutes.
    Now this isn't confined to my main browsers using Windows 10, this also happens using Safari on my laptop (more about Safari in a bit) and my Kindle whose OS is a fork of Android.

Lately I've been blessed, once in a great while, to be able to post on the forum using my main browsers (Opera, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, SeaMonkey... you get the idea) so its not been a lack of trying. The posting area just seems to hang in an undetermined state where posting is not possible. Also... editing of posts has been a problem I haven't yet overcome with the aforementioned browsers. I was beginning to think I was banned, but then I would have received some kind of notification... right ?

My Kindle's screen is only 7" and the keyboard funtion really bites when I try to post - so the experience works but is far less than ideal. Gift idea to self: 10" iPad or Blutooth keyboard for Kindle (more likely).

Soooooo, I thought I'd try Safari on my Windows 10 laptop - only to find I'm constrained to a version 5.1.7 (or some such); a legacy version that Apple no longer supports and may be full of exploitable holes (sheeesh!)... And you know what ? it actually works after a fashion, though a bit wonky. I get an itsy 1" X 1 1/2" "Rich Text Editor" box that allows a post, but only for 40 seconds (I've timed it) - then the "box" for posting magically disappears with my post and I have to start all over by refreshing the page to get it back for another 40 seconds - so writing in a text editor and cutting and pasting are becoming the norm.

Now we have our first snow storm of the year and thus no satellite internet, therefore I can not access anything as I write in my text editor. (What happened to our balmy 70F temps earlier this Januar and Februar ?) It's evening and the snow has stopped (yay).

So that's been my experience for a while. Anyone else having similar issues ?... that is if you can post at all.

Any and all suggestions on how to end this madness is welcome.

Tongue in cheek with a stiff upper lip; with love for all things Lit -

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 02-23-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I get 502 errors frequently here but just repeating the same order is enough to read LitNet forum posts.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got these errors before, too. It seems to be a transmission problem, so it doesn´t matter which browser or which device you use.
    I got those nice messages, showing that from my PC till Buenos Aires? everything was ok, but then there was an impediment. I should try contacting Admin or Sherezade and ask them to fix it.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have had this situation with those blasted "502 Errors" and have reported them to Admin. Very annoying ... is this site under siege or what???

As a matter of fact, I have been trying, on and off all day now, to be able to respond to threads... with no luck. Finally now (why only goodness knows why) am I able to respond to a post.

grrrr!
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

I am also getting same error, while replying, why is it so.