Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: "Dedicated to Ecurb"

"Dedicated to Ecurb"

I don't know if any other LItnet losers have had books dedicated to you. Somehow, I doubt it. Unfortunately, I haven't had any books "dedicated" to me, either. But I am mentioned in the "Acknowledgements" in a recently published volume. I was dating the author when she wrote it, and here's the acknowledgement, with the names changed to protect the guilty:

.....Special thanks to John Jervis, William Jackson, Ronald McDonald, and Junior Bridgman who have given me feedback and encouragement in the development of this book, and to Ecurb.
    My full name, first and last, is given, and, since I didn't help my friend at all, I deserved no better, if as much. Still, it's funny.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here in Brazil it is very usual to dedicate, thank or mention relatives, friends and fellow students or university professors in academic publications. I probably have been mentioned in one book or two, but I don´t remember it any more.
    I remember one fellow student dedicating his work,among other people, to his father, who had died long ago. So, I shouldn´t worry about it: your friend simply wanted to do you a homage.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

I'm not worried about it -- I"m happy to be acknowledged. It's still a backhand compliment, though. On the positive side, I once got to stay at the visiting faculty rooms at Brasenose College, Oxford University, because my friend was giving a lecture there. Perhaps she could have written: "And thanks to Ecurb for taking me on all those European vacations because my books don't pay well enough for me to afford it."

I"m thinking about it because she's off on a lecture series in Australia without me right now.