Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819

Thread: Literature Ramble

Welcome back, PB, good work.

However, there is this memory. Elsewhere, talking with a dude about old Disney Movies. The due re-watched Pinnochio and comments that he was looking more and more like a "proto-Alex", which lead me t o think of Kubrick saying to Burroughs "See, the blue faery is just a metaphor for mental hospitals" and Buroughs replaying "no, no, it is metaphor for his free will, the moment he turns in a full human".
    #foratemer

Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    Welcome back, PB, good work.

However, there is this memory. Elsewhere, talking with a dude about old Disney Movies. The due re-watched Pinnochio and comments that he was looking more and more like a "proto-Alex", which lead me t o think of Kubrick saying to Burroughs "See, the blue faery is just a metaphor for mental hospitals" and Buroughs replaying "no, no, it is metaphor for his free will, the moment he turns in a full human".
    Alas! A populist Brazil has driven you to distraction.

I miss the ramble, but I'm really moving now and I don't want to get stalled. I get a bit stultified in the afternoons, though (I start writing around 7:00 and lose any talent by noon), so I may drop by when I get what my wife calls "junky mind". By the way, I just referred a new LitNetter to this thread--one who likes Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes. No one had even said hello to him/her, which I guess is what happens when Kizzie goes on vacation. (Hey, Kiz, if you read this ). So if, um, Cory turns up, maybe you or Ecurb (or me if I'm around) could ramble a little.

I suppose Pinky from Brighton Rock was something of a proto-Alex. Oh, and I heard IBM killed their genius computer, Watson. "Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this..."
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

Alas, I with it was populist. It is just mediocre and outright evil. No populist would censor tv ads because they show "diversity", tell "gay tourists are unwelcome" then offer "if you want to come here to have sex with women, welcome" as some sort of brothel owner or start to cut founds of universities such as Philosophy and History because they are pointless. The funny thing is that he is so incompetent that he is having trouble to do anything except protect his son from leading a group of death squads in Rio de Janeiro. It is the worst of times, the best of times, when hope still exists and outright nightmare fails to rule.

Anyways, Cory is welcome here anytime, as long we can say Holmes is a infantile Hamlet
    #foratemer

Yeah, I'm just teasing. From the little we get told up here he doesn't sound like much of a populist. He's a long-time political insider, right? Very swampy, as we say here these days. Ah well, this too shall pass.

And if Holmes were Hamlet he would have figured out who killed his father, Act I, scene i. He wouldn't have needed the ghost to tell him.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    What do we know about Holmes' father? Anything? We know a lot about brother Mycroft, and that his mother was an artist, but otherwise, do we know anything about his family? So, assume his father was killed - was he run down by a hansom cab, mugged by a handsome cabby, or the victim of some dark and subtle plot?
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

I think it was Holmes' great aunt who was the artist. Nothing is known about his parents, although I like the handsome cabbie theory. Or if his mother was a golfing lady, perhaps a handsome caddie. He probably died in the "Gray Death"--the great brain fever epidemic that swept English novels in the late 19th century.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819