Thread: Ironwood Girl and the Smooth Operator

Blog Entries

Ironwood Girl and the Smooth Operator

Ironwood Girl and the Smooth Operator

“Let’s go outside. Let’s blow this joint. Let’s vamoose."

“Sure. Let’s.”

Outside we turned east and walked toward 30th Street. The bus stop on the corner had benches that looked like turned over wooden blocks. Trees on the sidewalk were wrapped up with LCD Anaconda lights like Disneyland’s Main Street. It wasn’t the North Park I grew up in, now gentrified as all get-out. Times changed and people with them. We checked out the blue and white tiles on the entrance to the old Woolworth’s store. Every single couple surrounding us was holding hands. What was wrong with me? Had I lost my dating game? Not by a long shot. I deftly used the opportunity of crossing 30th to take hold of her hand. Even after we reached the other curb, I didn’t let go. Like Sade, I was a Smooth Operator.

Now Mister Nervous magically transforms to Mister Bold and Cool. Oh gosh, thank God for small miracles. But I’d take advantage of them, they don’t always last.

So when I slipped behind her and took her side, facing the street, doing the old Gentleman comes between the Lady and the Horses flicking Mud on her Dress Thing, at the same time, and not a second or half-second behind that move, I touched her with the tips of my fingers on the small of her back, gently, you understand, gently as a diaphanous butterfly wing. It was one of those touches that could be perceived as light, but if you did it inexpertly, without the proper degree of suavity, it could be reacted to like an unwanted ton of Rudolph Valentino's sexual menace.

Not that night. Not that magic moment.

She reacted as if it was the most natural move on the face of the earth. Oh sh*t this was beautiful stuff. I loved it. Somehow she sent me to my comfort zone instead of to my room. I couldn’t take my eyes off her, there was no escape.

Her gorgeous mug radiated light, even under the street lamp. The pale luminous skin, the coal-dark hair with gold highlights, the crimson lips, so wet, so luscious, so inviting.

Oh gosh-golly, by George, and all that. Momma, oh sweet Momma, come save your baby boy. He’s about to lose his virginity...again.

Life was suddenly fair. Life was suddenly sweet. Life was at once deliciously sanctified and caloric.

©Steven Hunley2016

https://youtu.be/4TYv2PhG89A Smooth Operator
    Last edited by Steven Hunley; 10-29-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    It was fun getting inside the head of Mr. Smooth Operator, lol.
    I had to laff at the line "Her gorgeous mug".... omg ... just something about that, ha ha!
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

This was a marvellous diorama/vignette. The writing style reminded me of perhaps people like William Burroughs(when he isn't sniffing a substance)or Truman Capote. It's a very American style. Suave. Why so many people have read this and not commented is beyond me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
    This was a marvellous diorama/vignette. The writing style reminded me of perhaps people like William Burroughs(when he isn't sniffing a substance)or Truman Capote. It's a very American style. Suave. Why so many people have read this and not commented is beyond me.
    This is what they do here, not comment. On the other hand, the few comments are worth their weight in gold. The Burroughs (read Junkie, read Speed, read Naked Lunch, and was it Nova Express? and the Yage letters. Maybe his style rubbed off on me. Gold anyway and a 24 carat comment.

The vividness of your descriptions really brought this piece to life for me. Really good detail. The end was climatic and nicely prepared the gold of the story.

Blog Entries
    Thank you both. This is a part of a longer story about how Barb and I met. She hates it when I call her face a mug, says it's too ghetto and sounds criminal to her. LOL. I must have stolen it from some Warner Brothers gangster films from the 30's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hunley View Post
    Thank you both. This is a part of a longer story about how Barb and I met. She hates it when I call her face a mug, says it's too ghetto and sounds criminal to her. LOL. I must have stolen it from some Warner Brothers gangster films from the 30's.
    Ha ha, well I love it ... it makes me smile. I think of tough guy meets doll-of-dreams...
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein