Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: SOS-Bird Mites

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SOS-Bird Mites

It is not exactly a literary theme, but I know that several Litneters live or have lived in environments with birds and may have had this problem.

Iīm having this problem for several months and can not get rid of it. The culprits are invisible, but they bite. The biting in
    itself is not the problem. It doesnīt itch very much and doesnīt leave any marks. The problem is, that on the contrary of insects, they relish human presence. They are always where one is. They get into the hair, the clothes, the face, eyes, ears, mouth and they resist even extermination. And they are attracted to the luminous pages of open PCs.

As I live in an area with many birds, specially urban doves, I concluded after much research specially in American pages that they are bird mites.
    Remedies I have tried with small or no success: tea three oil, mixture of vinegar and alcohol, sodium bicarbonate diluted in vinegar, clove solution with alcohol, tobacco diluted in vinegar, several kinds of disinfectants.

If any one could help with suggestions I would be very grateful.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I had an issue with some sort of mites a while ago and I found out that they hate lemons and lime, so now I just have a spray can with pure lemondrops diluted in water (rather strong) and haven't seen (or felt) them since. Don't know if it will work with the type of mite you have but you can try.

I also found out that when the bites itch you should boil water and put a spoon in it and then on the bite, it hurts but it works
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Many thanks, Helga. I shall have a go at lemon juice. I didnīt try that yet. The bites actually itch very little and I use a lotion on them. Toothpaste is also good for calming itches.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Many thanks, Helga. I shall have a go at lemon juice. I didnīt try that yet. The bites actually itch very little and I use a lotion on them. Toothpaste is also good for calming itches.
    Wow! I did not know that toothpaste calms itches! I will try that next mosquito season...

We have a nuisance bug here in the Prairies that started becoming a problem last autumn, and don't laff.
    We are being bombarded with millions of BITING lady bugs. Yes, you heard that correctly! I am going crazy with this, they are a nightmare.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    I donīt know what lady bugs are, kiz, but bugs in general seem to be becoming more buggy.

Here are the four links I sent to my dermatologist yesterday. They may be helpful to you or some one. But while there are horror stories worse than anything yet published on Litnet, none of them offers a definite solution. And I donīt want to meddle with the birds nests.

https://growyouthful.com/ailment/bird-mite.php

https://www.birdmites.org/treatment-protocol.html

https://www.birdmites.org/

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/birdmite.html

Iīm up to founding the Survival Society of the Anonimous Bitten!

Blog Entries
    I didn't know that about toothpaste either. I also didn't know that lady bugs bite. I hope you find a cure, Danik.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Yes/No. Itīs not an illness. I need to eradicate them. They bother specially when I am at PC. It seems they are attracted by the luminosity of the page.

Blog Entries
    Danik, that would drive me mad!! I have no solution to your problem, but I want to sympathize with you. How dreadful that would be...

As for ladybugs biting, it is more of an annoyance than a health issue, etc. Lately I have to put a hand over my wine glass to keep these menaces out of my space, doggone it!! (that is when I am outside enjoying the warm autumn temps (lately in the +20C's).

Here is a link, probably directed at school kids, but anyhow, it will teach about these little varmits! http://infinitespider.com/ladybugs-b...rising-answer/
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Thanks, kiz!
    Why they are the "joaninhas", absolutely cute fellows! Itīs the first time I read that they can bite!
    And they have the decency to flee humans it seems.

The biting ones are Asian ladybugs, and holy cow, are they annoying.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    The biting ones are Asian ladybugs, and holy cow, are they annoying.
    Yes indeedy dooooo!!
    ~Albert Einstein

Poor Danik has suffered a blight
    On every inch of her body, a bite
    So she prayed for a sign
    "You should seek help online!"
    Or as a wise man once said, mite makes write

Blog Entries
    Lol!

Who should think Calidore bright
    Inspired poetically by a mite?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Poor Danik has suffered a blight
    On every inch of her body, a bite
    So she prayed for a sign
    "You should seek help online!"
    Or as a wise man once said, mite makes write

Brilliant! I loved that!
    ~Albert Einstein

Thanks, glad you both liked it. Sorry it comes in lieu of actual help, Danik.