Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Kazuo Ishiguro, winner of the Nobel for Literature 2017.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kazuo Ishiguro, winner of the Nobel for Literature 2017.

I think Kazuo Ishiguro is an interesting writer. He has a migrant background, that makes him up to date. In his books the Japanese and the English background appear blended in a subtle manner. I read his both first novels and watched "The Remains of the Day".the

So why have I again the feeling, that the academy isnīt reading the new authors?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    He's a great stylistic blend of British and Japanese. Work well. I think, by definition, you would have to be an old author to win the Nobel. It is for a body of work.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I've read a couple of his books, a fine dry humour...

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And the Japanese contention that implies much more than it tells.

But I didnīt read his more recent books. I donīt know if they are as good as the first ones.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

The only two I read were The Remains of the Day and The Unconsoled both a couple of decades ago. I thought the former was about as good as novels get, and the latter about as obscure. The Unconsoled may have been as strange for the reader as it must have been for the main character. I felt something was eluding my understanding but was not sure what it was. There was some prism I was supposed to see this work through that I never discovered. It was still highly compelling. It is one of the few works of fiction I ever read and did not "get," that I would consider trying again. For I am often repelled by books I fail to get. This time I was not repelled, knew I was missing something and wished I had more feel for what it was.

But when a first novel is as good as Remains of the Day, I figure a career has arrived whose influence will outlive the novelist's own body. It didn't take a genius to figure Ishiguro was the goods. Like discovering Joe Pass, it was pretty easy, though you could not understand everything Joe was up to, either.

I like his manner and style. He writes so easy and emotional. I've already read "Never let me go" and have a new book by him. I read about him on https://gradesfixer.com/ and I decided to learn more about him and his books.

A couple of years ago I took a course on English Literature, it was about the Bildungsroman as a genre. Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go was one of the novels we had to read. I think it's a very clever novel, and very bitter.